Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

But I actually was cancelled from that thread. Before I did I was having to bat away 5 posts for each one of mine some vitriolic for even a Luke warm trump supporting post. Yet I got banned without a reason given I don't care that much but that's how it went down.

Regardless I think you're on a hiding to nothing by turning into an echo chamber here at SRP, I presume eventually we will only be allowed to support Carlton on the main board.

i was banned from a thread for eye rolling a mod's post about how the umpires are cheating carlton 1 minute into a game

You think I couldn’t see the board?
For the record I don't think I've been in the memes thread there in over a year, so the offending posts weren't made by me. I was trying to rebrand the board in the past week to be an SRP shitposting area where everyone is in on the joke. The feedback from some left-leaning posters such as bourbons was positive.

For the record I don't think I've been in the memes thread there in over a year, so the offending posts weren't made by me. I was trying to rebrand the board in the past week to be an SRP shitposting area where everyone is in on the joke. The feedback from some left-leaning posters such as bourbons was positive.
I was serious about the demon sperm thing though.

So you didn't know there was a problem, but you tried to fix the problem?

So you didn't know there was a problem, but you tried to fix the problem?
I wasn't aware of the racist meme problem because I didn't frequent the meme thread. I was trying to "fix" the problem of it being an echo chamber. And to help keep the less serious political posts outside of SRP itself.

If I had continued getting new posters of differing viewpoints there, then I'm sure rule violations would've started getting reported. I hope you consider allowing such a board in the future.

How dare you. Enlightened centrist, thanks :p

And yeah definitely enjoyed the light hearted banter thread FK started, demon sperm and all :tearsofjoy:

I wasn't aware of the racist meme problem because I didn't frequent the meme thread. I was trying to "fix" the problem of it being an echo chamber. And to help keep the less serious political posts outside of SRP itself.

If I had continued getting new posters of differing viewpoints there, then I'm sure rule violations would've started getting reported. I hope you consider allowing such a board in the future.

I only stuck my head into the memes thread briefly and although I don't think I saw the one that broke the camel's back, yeah there were a few off-colour ones in general it must be said.

Look I think I have a solution - re-open the board, delete the offending post(s) and lock every single thread except the most recent one FK started :p

FK and I will mash the report button early and often should

- any unadulterated filth try to squirm their way in
- posters ignore the spirit of the thread by taking arguments too seriously
- people not be funny

Bring your A game, boys :tearsofjoy:

On a positive note, I am thoroughly enjoying Chief's radical far left NAZI-hunter phase.

He's been hilarious of late.

tumblr_ov8ug3NZ781ul8dk2o3_500.gifv

It's not. Pretty sure you can buy it, or even watch it online if you want.

HBO (and HBO alone) who own rights to the film have decided to temporarily remove it (they expressly stated this was temporary) in order to create an appropriate caveat/ warning/ context text for when it's re-uploaded in the near future.

They're hardly the first. Disney did this a while ago with a lot of their films to explain/ caveat/ warn about the ridiculously racist stereotypes in its films (most notably the ridiculously offensive black crows in the animated 1941 film, Dumbo):

Disney even named the main Crow 'Jim Crow' which is the name of the Civil rights era segregation laws!

That's the worst of recent times by Disney, and the product of far less enlightened times, but it's not the only one.

Had a brief look and had to laugh at the long bow drawn that Jamaican’s are lazy because the lobster was singing a song about being carefree. That’s a stretch and I am pro left. Of recent times the black faces Little Britain skits have been cancelled. Again, I don’t understand. Can we not have black faced characters? Are there no black people in the world? Isn’t it worse to only have white characters in skits? I mean, it’s just a black character.

There are far worse Little Britain skits than that let me tell you. Far worse. Yet that gets cancelled because there is a black face? Really quite over the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Cave slams cancel culture as 'bad religion run amuck'
Martin Boulton
Sydney Morning Herald
August 13, 2020

Australian musician Nick Cave says cancel culture "has an asphyxiating effect on the creative soul of a society" and political correctness "has grown to become the unhappiest religion in the world".

In the latest edition of his online newletter, The Red Hand Files, Cave wrote that cancel culture is "bad religion run amuck".

"As far as I can see, cancel culture is mercy’s antithesis," Cave wrote in response to a reader's question on the subject. "Political correctness has grown to become the unhappiest religion in the world. Its once-honourable attempt to reimagine our society in a more equitable way now embodies all the worst aspects that religion has to offer (and none of the beauty) — moral certainty and self-righteousness shorn even of the capacity for redemption. It has become, quite literally, bad religion run amuck."

Cancel culture's "refusal to engage with uncomfortable ideas", according to Cave, hampers the creativeness and diversity of society. He wrote that mercy "allows us the ability to engage openly in free-ranging conversation" and acts as a "safety net of mutual consideration". Without it, "a society loses its soul, and devours itself".

"Tolerance allows the spirit of enquiry the confidence to roam freely, to make mistakes, to self-correct, to be bold, to dare to doubt and in the process to chance upon new and more advanced ideas. Without mercy, society grows inflexible, fearful, vindictive and humourless," Cave wrote.

(continued...)

Yeah I'm not sure Trump has 'cancelled' Goodyear. He's the POTUS, I'm sure if he actually wanted to stop them producing tyres he could.

Also Trump is a fool. He's even admitting to dropping to the level of the 'Radical Left Democrats' by telling people to boycott a company that banned his stupid hats.

Somewhat prescient... a kids' cartoon by the name of Bluey has been censored by the ABC, claiming the term "ooga booga" is racist and offensive to Aboriginals.

The HTB sheds a tear.

I called ET out a while back for being on the alien sideboob email subscriber list.

I never thought it would come to this.

Don't buy dunlop tyres. It's funny how a place like dreamworld gets prosecuted for being unsafe yet these tyres remain unbanned

Remove this Banner Ad

Back