Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Does "cancel culture" include cancelling lockdowns to appease Karen?
so because someone doesn't support the harshest lockdowns in the world, they're a karen now? isn't the karen label reserved for racist, entitled white women?

I had a customer hang himself in his shop window recently in south-east melb - his business was done and well yeah, he had had enough. what a karen. am i a karen because i think we're in a position to be out of stage 4?

Now I remember why I left the SRP board after my 7 days posting here earlier in the year. smh.

Last edited:

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
When the Right complain about cancel culture, like everything, they are reverting always to their rightful place as the victim. A victim that claims unfettered free speech and ability to express and defend anything appalling as long it aligns whatever Trump/conversative media's completely detached-from-reality position of the day is. All other opinions to the contrary are somehow deemed 'cancel culture'.

If you really asked many people on the right to define it, I doubt they would able to. Other than regurgitate 'radical left' and other pre-heated rhetoric for morons.

But cancel culture is real and a problem. The recent example of Adele at Notting Hill festival and being accussed cultural appropriation. So this apparently means that you cannot dress in the attire of another culture unless you have permission from, I'm assuming the many anonymous arbiters of whats culturally appropriate and 100% understand the cultural significance. This is a real problem particularly in the social media Outrage Age, incidents like this with no malice are deemed 'monstrous' by people who seem to enjoy being offended and shaming moreso than educating.

There is also no consistency over which cultures can be 'appropriated' and which cant, although it appears to be tied to race. For example, I attended a themed dress up party earlier in the year where several people dressed up and bishops and priests. So, by the same logic the Catholic community could be up in arms about poking fun and appropriating their religion. But noone does because in the woke community, the Catholic church is considered a terrible organisation and worthy of ridicule. But perhaps a billion Catholics would disagree?

TL;DR - Cancel culture is and will continue to be driven by a very vocal minority, always with the intent of shaming and claiming offence or victimhood, even when no harm has been done to them

TL;DR - Cancel culture is and will continue to be driven by a very vocal minority, always with the intent of shaming and claiming offence or victimhood, even when no harm has been done to them
If that’s what you’re calling cancel culture.

Confected outrage exists. Signal boosting that outrage to stoke even more outrage from others also exists.

People talk about Louis CK as if he lost gigs because he made a joke. No. He was a creepy sex pest who used his position to get “consent” from young females to have a wank in front of them. Then if anyone said anything he denied it and used his position to damage them.

Perhaps people who didn’t like his jokes probably used it to damage him as well but he was in the s**t anyway.

How is it even under debate that employees and venues are under no obligation to pay and promote the work of a sex offender that the audience is no longer willing to accept?

These are venues and companies that knew about his creepiness but ignored it to make money. They were shamed into dropping him.

And he’s performing anyway!

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Insane if accurate... a professor used a Chinese word that kinda sounds like the n-word but is entirely unrelated in its meaning. And that "offended" people.

Wait until people hear about this actress. It's amazing she hasn't been cancelled already. She really should change her name to avoid causing "offence".

Last edited:

nylexbandit

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Insane if accurate... a professor used a Chinese word that kinda sounds like the n-word but is entirely unrelated in its meaning. And that "offended" people.

Wait until people hear about this actress. It's amazing she hasn't been cancelled already. She really should change her name to avoid causing "offence".

I have to say the first time I was on a call with Chinese being spoken I had to ask afterwards what the hell they were saying with that word. Sounded like an Eddie Murphy set

I have no idea who this chick is but apparently she has 1.2m followers on Instagram, so obviously a lot of people follow her for some reason

But have we gone that mad as a civilization that we are attacking someone who is white for buying their husband a didgeridoo for fathers day?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I have no idea who this chick is but apparently she has 1.2m followers on Instagram, so obviously a lot of people follow her for some reason

But have we gone that mad as a civilization that we are attacking someone who is white for buying their husband a didgeridoo for fathers day?

Is it also cultural appropriation to teach the didgeridoo in schools?

There seems to be a fine line between wanting all Australians to embrace indigenous culture and saying "piss off, not for you".

The furore seems to be the source of the didgeridoo, but I have seen one of the world's best didgeridoo players use PVC pipe to make a 'slide didge' so I'd say it's a vocal minority wanting the proceeds of any didge sale to go to indigenous manufacturers.

Ok so this one technically isn't part of 'Cancel Culture' but an Aussie man sued his English ex-wife because in his opinion she “She kept treating Australia as an inferior race, despite living there for 15 years”

* me, they are both white anglosaxons.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

Ok so this one technically isn't part of 'Cancel Culture' but an Aussie man sued his English ex-wife because in his opinion she “She kept treating Australia as an inferior race, despite living there for 15 years”

fu** me, they are both white anglosaxons.

Definitely a weird one. The judge ruled the husband was harassed because of his race based on one email.

I hate Australian mentality and you have it [in] droves just s**t.​

How is Australian a race?

Then again the media has made the most of the story. Of the £102,954.86 that the judge awarded to the husband, only £2,000 was for "injury to feelings" for the harassment allegation.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Not surprising Hollywood leading the woke charge.

This has been the case for British awards for a couple of years now. It's not only awards but funding that depends on PC criteria.

Apparently women are counted as minorities - so you get an overrepresentation of women in traditionally male roles such as police detectives. It seems to be no problem when a 5'2 50kg female bashes up a 6'2 100kg bad guy.

The show can be going ok then you get a random gay or mentally handicapped character inserted.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
This has been the case for British awards for a couple of years now. It's not only awards but funding that depends on PC criteria.

Apparently women are counted as minorities - so you get an overrepresentation of women in traditionally male roles such as police detectives. It seems to be no problem when a 5'2 50kg female bashes up a 6'2 100kg bad guy.

The show can be going ok then you get a random gay or mentally handicapped character inserted.
1599648742613.png

How dare gay people be represented or women play detective roles!

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Especially for a so called "multicultural" society. At least that is what they have been pushing on Australians for years.

Basketball was invented by a white Canadian guy. It's now dominated by African Americans. Tune in to a Golden State Warriors game and you'll see Asian Americans in Steph and Klay jerseys. Who is culturally appropriating who?

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
How you make a 'representative' WWI or WWII movie? Do you just pretend that the demographics of the defence forces in those eras were as they are now?
Yep, good point.

I guess that's a choice the movie moguls have to make.

Ensure 'diversity' to appeal to the woke minority and be eligible for Oscar nominations, but risk having a flop of a movie because it's an unrealistic representation of the subject matter.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's a massive chance this could backfire big time on 'The Academy'.

Do people make movies to make money, or win Academy Awards?

I'd suggest the former as opposed to the latter.

All we need is one absolute standout that is generally acclaimed as the best movie of the year, but isn't even nominated for Best Picture because it doesn't fulfil the new criteria.

The film cleans up on a dozen other Awards, and whatever wins the Best Picture has clearly done a Bradbury.

Immediate devaluation of the Best Picture Award, and therefore devaluation of the Academy Awards in general.

How you make a 'representative' WWI or WWII movie? Do you just pretend that the demographics of the defence forces in those eras were as they are now?
I know! There weren't even any Asians or women in WWI or WWII!

Back