Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The WW1 or WW2 story could just be presented from a different perspective.

The Ned Kelly story as told by Ned's niece Gypsybelle. Focussing on the very well known female copper Sergeant Michelle Kennedy. Shot by Ned and Dan.

Some of these things are true. But its just a movie. It doesnt need to worry about truth. As long as quotas are met.

The Ned Kelly story as told by Ned's niece Gypsybelle. Focussing on the very well known female copper Sergeant Michelle Kennedy. Shot by Ned and Dan.

Some of these things are true. But its just a movie. It doesnt need to worry about truth. As long as quotas are met.
You're doing this dumb thing where you're pretending that this all means "replace men in the story with women".

Why? You're not an actual idiot, I don't think.

So why are you acting like an idiot? Why do you think you deserve access to this forum to do this? What do you bring to the table here?

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You're doing this dumb thing where you're pretending that this all means "replace men in the story with women".

Why? You're not an actual idiot, I don't think.

So why are you acting like an idiot? Why do you think you deserve access to this forum to do this? What do you bring to the table here?

Shame you didnt post this in response to my post directly above...

There is of course a way studios dont have to worry about replacing male roles with female roles. Just dont bother trying to win awards.

Will make quite a mockery of them when everyone knows the 4th best movie of the year wins the awards because the 3 best movies were not eligible. But there will be plenty of back patting going on anyway.

As the ratings of the awards shows continue to tank.

Shame you didnt post this in response to my post directly above...

There is of course a way studios dont have to worry about replacing male roles with female roles. Just dont bother trying to win awards.

Will make quite a mockery of them when everyone knows the 4th best movie of the year wins the awards because the 3 best movies were not eligible. But there will be plenty of back patting going on anyway.

As the ratings of the awards shows continue to tank.
When did you become interested in the integrity of Hollywood awards?

The Oscars have had years and years of Academy members doing things like voting without seeing the movies, giving the forms to their kids to fill out, advertising to influence votes... all sorts of lurks and perks.

Why is it now so important to you that the “right” movie gets the awards?

Are you upset that your favourite US Democrat boosters might miss out on something they have worked so hard for?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When did you become interested in the integrity of Hollywood awards?

The Oscars have had years and years of Academy members doing things like voting without seeing the movies, giving the forms to their kids to fill out, advertising to influence votes... all sorts of lurks and perks.

Why is it now so important to you that the “right” movie gets the awards?

Are you upset that your favourite US Democrat boosters might miss out on something they have worked so hard for?

You seem far more emotionally involved in this than I am. I guess the same could be asked of you. Why do you need Hollywood to only make movies which have at least 1 minority in a lead role?

The West Wing is one of the best shows ever made but would probably fail the new Hollywood sniff tests.

Imagine the lead female role being a secretary. For shame !!

Remember that time you goons got ya knickers in a knot because Idris Alba shouldn't play James Bond because the FICTIONAL CHARACTER James Bond can only be a white dude?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I know! There weren't even any Asians or women in WWI or WWII!

There are plenty of Asians and women in WWII movies already. But are stoic matriarchs keeping home fires burning, compassionate nurses doting on brave soldiers and faceless nameless bullet fodder Axis soliders really what the Academy wants under the banner of inclusion?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I know! There weren't even any Asians or women in WWI or WWII!
We're veering away from cancel culture into more general political correctness. But Saving Private Ryan, for example. How should that story have been told to meet these new diversity requirements?

Look at this horrific monument to White Male Privilege. Can't they re-edit it to include some POC and non-binary soldiers? Or maybe re-release the film with a 10-minute explainer at the start addressing the problematic lack of diversity. I'm not sure I can process it otherwise. OMG what am I seeing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone who seeks to erase the record - whether historical or cultural - should be regarded with suspicion.

As Goebbels said, we must "commit to the flames the evil spirit of the past". We definitely can't let people make up their own minds.

Sure, the new woke aren't strictly seeking to burn the books. They're just annotating them to make sure you know the bad bits are bad. That's the "liberal" solution?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
There are plenty of Asians and women in WWII movies already. But are stoic matriarchs keeping home fires burning, compassionate nurses doting on brave soldiers and faceless nameless bullet fodder Axis soliders really what the Academy wants under the banner of inclusion?
What about the Sikhs? Or the African Americans, or the hispanics or the Italian Americans?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast

Posted only yesterday but when you take the key points from here, it's not hard to work out where this 'philosophy' may take us.

When something emanates from a disingenuous start point, it will only rub itself out in the end....unless we're all living in handcuffs by then.
Dave Rubin is a buffoon. Don't darken my door with his rubbish. He's so dumb that even Joe Rogan outwits him.

If you want to talk about "emanating from a disingenuous start point", that's Rubin in a nutshell.

Dave Rubin is a buffoon. Don't darken my door with his rubbish.

I said take out the key points, but that doesn't seem to matter to you.

May you enlighten me as to who your non-buffoons may be? You haven't added anything but to portray yourself to be somehow wiser than others....so what have you got? Anything at all?

Don't darken my door? FMD Yes, your majesty :)

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I said take out the key points, but that doesn't seem to matter to you.
Take out the key points? What does that mean? Rubin's arguments are a jumble of poorly executed talking points cribbed from smarter people.

Rubin is the biggest jackass of the era. He jumped on the "intellectual dark web" bandwagon and they let him tag along for a bit because Jordan Peterson needed a warm-up guy. What is his area of expertise exactly? He's a stand-up comedian who was on TYT and then took the cash from Turning Point to reverse himself.

May you enlighten me as to who your non-buffoons may be? You haven't added anything but to portray yourself to be somehow wiser than others....so what have you got? Anything at all?
My arguments have been made at length in this thread so your question "what have you got" is nonsensical.

And yes, I am definitely wiser than others. That should be obvious by now. For example, I'm not impressed by Dave Rubin's arguments, whereas some less intelligent folks might be.

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
What about the Sikhs? Or the African Americans, or the hispanics or the Italian Americans?

What about them? Do they not feature in war films?

I listened to Hack earlier (why do that to myself?) and they were upset that the media in Australia is 75% white. That sounds pretty representative to me, but if there isn't a transgender amputee from Tuvalu reading the news this is the sort of s**t people will claim 'whitewashing' about.

They were also talking about the remake of Mulan and how filming in Xinjiang maybe wasn't Disney's finest hour. They didn't reach for the woke dictionary and describe it as 'problematic' (you know, because there are actual serious issues in play). Apparently Uyghurs being persecuted is bad, but boycotting a film that puts non-white characters on screen isn't a good idea because diversity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back