Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

What about them? Do they not feature in war films?

I listened to Hack earlier (why do that to myself?) and they were upset that the media in Australia is 75% white. That sounds pretty representative to me, but if there isn't a transgender amputee from Tuvalu reading the news this is the sort of sh*t people will claim 'whitewashing' about.

They were also talking about the remake of Mulan and how filming in Xinjiang maybe wasn't Disney's finest hour. They didn't reach for the woke dictionary and describe it as 'problematic' (you know, because there are actual serious issues in play). Apparently Uyghurs being persecuted is bad, but boycotting a film that puts non-white characters on screen isn't a good idea because diversity.
No, not really they don't. They're whitewashed out in the earlier films.

Indeed.

And what's that little saying they have "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."

In my vast reading on this particular topic, I have seen examples where these institutions/movements - whatever label you wish to apply to them - are constructed or come together to solve a particular problem. However, over time they evolve and 'existing for the sake of existing' becomes their sole purpose.

So many organisations that are designed to accomplish a goal subtly shift to not actually solving problems, because solving problems will mean they are no longer required, and may be dissolved/disbanded/thrown in the trash can.

They invariably come up with self justifying explanations for why they need to exist, and indeed go on forever.

One may think 'cancel culture' will go away once the problem of white supremacy is solved.

Not so.

The message you will hear from these cretins is 'white supremacy is an incurable disease' and so this movement will never actually bother achieving their goal and wrapping up operations.

If it's not the Proud Boys, then public enemy number 1 is the Ooga Booga Boogalooo Boys, and they must beat this group at all costs lest the 'NAZIS start to assemble on our shores'...and so on and so forth.

Sorry folks, but we will have to endure the lefties nonsense UNTIL THE END OF TIME. :(
Every now and then, ET, you come across some rolled gold.

Jolly good, old fellow!

Nick Cave slams cancel culture as 'bad religion run amuck'
Martin Boulton
Sydney Morning Herald
August 13, 2020

Australian musician Nick Cave says cancel culture "has an asphyxiating effect on the creative soul of a society" and political correctness "has grown to become the unhappiest religion in the world".

In the latest edition of his online newletter, The Red Hand Files, Cave wrote that cancel culture is "bad religion run amuck".

"As far as I can see, cancel culture is mercy’s antithesis," Cave wrote in response to a reader's question on the subject. "Political correctness has grown to become the unhappiest religion in the world. Its once-honourable attempt to reimagine our society in a more equitable way now embodies all the worst aspects that religion has to offer (and none of the beauty) — moral certainty and self-righteousness shorn even of the capacity for redemption. It has become, quite literally, bad religion run amuck."

Cancel culture's "refusal to engage with uncomfortable ideas", according to Cave, hampers the creativeness and diversity of society. He wrote that mercy "allows us the ability to engage openly in free-ranging conversation" and acts as a "safety net of mutual consideration". Without it, "a society loses its soul, and devours itself".

"Tolerance allows the spirit of enquiry the confidence to roam freely, to make mistakes, to self-correct, to be bold, to dare to doubt and in the process to chance upon new and more advanced ideas. Without mercy, society grows inflexible, fearful, vindictive and humourless," Cave wrote.

(continued...)
I always use musicians opinions on things to inform how to live my life.

Last edited:
so because someone doesn't support the harshest lockdowns in the world, they're a karen now? isn't the karen label reserved for racist, entitled white women?

I had a customer hang himself in his shop window recently in south-east melb - his business was done and well yeah, he had had enough. what a karen. am i a karen because i think we're in a position to be out of stage 4?

Now I remember why I left the SRP board after my 7 days posting here earlier in the year. smh.
That sucks, mate. You alright?

He make some interesting points.

Any comment on them, or just content to ignore them because you don't think his opinion is worthy due to his vocation?
Don't get me wrong, I actually find his opinion worthy of consideration. He's a thinker, and it shows.

My problem has more to do with the appeal to authority represented by the use of that quote - which I've seen before it popped up in this thread - and the idea that when we look for answers to these problems, musicians is where we go.

I'm very interested to hear what Taylor Swift thinks about this.

Popped up in my twitter feed today:

Paper that was retracted was calling contemporary affirmative action policy into question. It seems it was retracted due to outrage.

Title
Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity: Evolution of
Race and Ethnicity Considerations for the
Cardiology Workforce in the United States
of America From 1969 to 2019

ABSTRACT: Since 1969, racial and ethnic preferences have existed throughout the American medical academy. The primary purpose has been to increase the number of blacks and Hispanics within the physician workforce as they were deemed to
be “underrepresented in medicine.” To this day, the goal continues to be population parity or proportional representation. These affirmative action programs were traditionally voluntary, created and implemented at the state or institutional level, limited to the premedical and medical school stages, and intended to be temporary. Despite these efforts, numerical targets
for underrepresented minorities set by the Association of American Medical Colleges have consistently fallen short. Failures have largely been attributable to the limited qualified applicant pool and legal challenges to the use of race and ethnicity in admissions to institutions of higher education. In response, programs under the appellation of diversity, inclusion, and equity have recently been created to increase the number of blacks and Hispanics as medical school students, internal medicine trainees, cardiovascular disease trainees, and cardiovascular disease faculty. These new diversity programs are mandatory, created and implemented at the national level, imposed throughout all stages of academic medicine and cardiology, and intended to be permanent. The purpose of this white paper is to provide an overview of policies that have been created to
impact the racial and ethnic composition of the cardiology workforce, to consider the evolution of racial and ethnic preferences in legal and medical spheres, to critically assess current paradigms, and to consider potential solutions to anticipated
challenges.

One of the most influential philosophers has been cancelled.
A building dedicated to the celebrated philosopher David Hume is to be renamed by a leading UK university because views he expressed on race more than 250 years ago “cause distress”.​
The University of Edinburgh said it would rechristen the David Hume Tower, a major hub for exhibitions, lectures and Edinburgh Festival shows, as part of an ongoing review into the 438-year-old institution’s “links with the past” including slavery and racism.​
Some students at the university had been campaigning for the building to be renamed, largely due to a footnote in Hume’s 1758 essay Of National Character.​

One of the most influential philosophers has been cancelled.
A building dedicated to the celebrated philosopher David Hume is to be renamed by a leading UK university because views he expressed on race more than 250 years ago “cause distress”.​
The University of Edinburgh said it would rechristen the David Hume Tower, a major hub for exhibitions, lectures and Edinburgh Festival shows, as part of an ongoing review into the 438-year-old institution’s “links with the past” including slavery and racism.​
Some students at the university had been campaigning for the building to be renamed, largely due to a footnote in Hume’s 1758 essay Of National Character.​
Cancelled, eh? Burning his books are they? Blocking his social media?

It looks like a 1970's s**t block, so it's hardly steeped in history:

1600140449311.png

"

Edinburgh University said in a letter to students: “It is important that campuses, curricula and communities reflect both the University’s contemporary and historical diversity and engage with its institutional legacy across the world.

“For this reason the university has taken the decision to re-name – initially temporarily until a full review is completed – one of the buildings in the Central Area campus.

"

Cancelled, eh? Burning his books are they? Blocking his social media?

It looks like a 1970's sh*t block, so it's hardly steeped in history:

View attachment 961961

"

Edinburgh University said in a letter to students: “It is important that campuses, curricula and communities reflect both the University’s contemporary and historical diversity and engage with its institutional legacy across the world.

“For this reason the university has taken the decision to re-name – initially temporarily until a full review is completed – one of the buildings in the Central Area campus.

"

If important figures from our past are judged by our modern morality there will be no one left standing.

I look forward to reparations being claimed against the Ottoman Empire, the Barbary Pirates and the Vikings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If important figures from our past are judged by our modern morality there will be no one left standing.
I think it's stupid too, but it's hardly "cancelled".

Are they removing him from curricula? No.

The issue is cheapened by shoving it under the umbrella of non-existent "cancel culture".

I look forward to reparations being claimed against the Ottoman Empire, the Barbary Pirates and the Vikings.
I wonder if this might be impacted by the fact there is no continuous government and no contiguous asset ownership registers between then and now?

Just a thought to help you grapple with the issue. Take it or leave it.

What about the Sikhs? Or the African Americans, or the hispanics or the Italian Americans?

Clint Eastwood was attacked because he didnt include black people in his Iwo Jima movies.

He responded by saying there were no black soldiers on Iwo Jima. That made him a racist. Apparently.

It also made those complaining about the lack of diversity idiots.

I think it's stupid too, but it's hardly "cancelled".

Are they removing him from curricula? No.

The issue is cheapened by shoving it under the umbrella of non-existent "cancel culture".

Academics who hold the 'wrong' views are being cancelled and others afraid to speak out because of the consequences.

I wonder if this might be impacted by the fact there is no continuous government and no contiguous asset ownership registers between then and now?

Pretty sure there was no contiguous asset ownership registers when the British set foot on these shores. It hasn't stopped Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander interests being recognised over around 40 per cent of Australia’s land mass.

You keep saying it's non-existent despite it being explained clearly and politely several times.
I can explain unicorns to you clearly and politely. Doesn't mean they exist.

I can explain unicorns to you clearly and politely. Doesn't mean they exist.
Does your explanation include examples of unicorns in real life?

You're being impervious to rational argument in a way you'd criticise others for on other issues.

If you are wrong on something are you always a liar?

BTW: http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1812972,00.html

No black soldiers took part in combat on Iwo Jima. None were in the unit raising the flag. Just as Eastwood said. Maybe he could make a 3rd movie focussing on the non-combat roles of black soldiers.

My guess is no-one would see it. But it would probably win a * load of Academy Awards.

If you are wrong on something are you always a liar?

BTW: http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1812972,00.html

No black soldiers took part in combat on Iwo Jima. None were in the unit raising the flag. Just as Eastwood said. Maybe he could make a 3rd movie focussing on the non-combat roles of black soldiers.

My guess is no-one would see it. But it would probably win a fu** load of Academy Awards.
No black soldiers appeared in the landings, despite actually being involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back