Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure if this sort of thing has been addressed in this thread and I can't be bothered reading through a thousand posts, but one thing that has annoyed me during the recent period of things getting taken off the air etc is when there is no context applied.

So there is a scene in season 2 of Peep Show where Jeremy and Nancy are breaking all these sexual taboos. Jeremy just wants to get laid so he's happy to do whatever he's told. His conscience gets pricked when Nancy paints him in brown-face and wants him to pretend that she is his mum. He recoils and says 'isn't this a bit wrong?' and she says 'you can't imagine a black man having sex with your mum? That's pretty racist Jeremy.' The inference throughout the scene for anyone with a brain is that Jeremy looking the way he does is clearly racist.

Streaming services began removing the scene. I don't really see why. The show itself is observing the racist element of blackface

There's a massive chance this could backfire big time on 'The Academy'.

Do people make movies to make money, or win Academy Awards?

I'd suggest the former as opposed to the latter.

All we need is one absolute standout that is generally acclaimed as the best movie of the year, but isn't even nominated for Best Picture because it doesn't fulfil the new criteria.

The film cleans up on a dozen other Awards, and whatever wins the Best Picture has clearly done a Bradbury.

Immediate devaluation of the Best Picture Award, and therefore devaluation of the Academy Awards in general.
Not sure you could devalue the Oscars more. You have to lobby to get votes FFS

I'm not sure if this sort of thing has been addressed in this thread and I can't be bothered reading through a thousand posts, but one thing that has annoyed me during the recent period of things getting taken off the air etc is when there is no context applied.

So there is a scene in season 2 of Peep Show where Jeremy and Nancy are breaking all these sexual taboos. Jeremy just wants to get laid so he's happy to do whatever he's told. His conscience gets pricked when Nancy paints him in brown-face and wants him to pretend that she is his mum. He recoils and says 'isn't this a bit wrong?' and she says 'you can't imagine a black man having sex with your mum? That's pretty racist Jeremy.' The inference throughout the scene for anyone with a brain is that Jeremy looking the way he does is clearly racist.

Streaming services began removing the scene. I don't really see why. The show itself is observing the racist element of blackface
Which streaming services? Netflix? They're being overly cautious most likely. Probably will bring it back later.

It's still on the UK service if you need to watch it:

Which streaming services? Netflix? They're being overly cautious most likely. Probably will bring it back later.

It's still on the UK service if you need to watch it:

As far as I can tell Stan hasn’t changed it yet though I recall reading that they intended to

About time, and it should happen in Australia.

Donald Trump has signed an executive order barring US government agencies and contractors from holding training sessions that teach America is “fundamentally racist or sexist”, again forcing the spotlight on cultural clashes ahead of the US election.​
The executive order’s list of issues that cannot be promoted through diversity training include suggesting that someone “bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex”.​
The lengthy order was signed on Tuesday and expands the US president's recent pushback on such training, now including private businesses who take up contracts with the federal government and so receive taxpayer funds.​

Cycling team Trek-Segafredo has suspended the 2019 junior road race world champion Quinn Simmons after he made comments in support of President Donald Trump on Twitter.

Simmons, a 19-year-old American, was replying to Dutch cycling journalist Jose Been. Been initially tweeted statements that were critical of Trump.

"My dear American friends, I hope this horrible presidency ends for you. And for us as (former?) allies too,” Been wrote, via the Associated Press."If you follow me and support Trump, you can go. There is zero excuse to follow or vote for the vile, horrible man."

Simmons replied to Been with “Bye,” and a Black-skinned waving hand emoji.

After another Twitter user replied to Been with "Apparently a Trumper," Simmons replied again with "That's right" and an American flag emoji.

How did we get so far down the path of not liking people or stopping friendships over who you vote for?

"While we support the right to free speech, we will hold people accountable for their words and actions. Regrettably, Simmons made statements online that we feel are divisive, incendiary, and detrimental to the team, professional cycling, its fans, and the positive future we hope to help create for the sport In response, he will not be racing for Trek-Segafredo until further notice."

The funniest part of this whole story is that people aren't entirely sure what he got suspended for. was it the pro Trump support? or was it the fact the waving hand emoji he used was black? either way this is total utter ******* madness that needs to stop!

Donald Trump has signed an executive order barring US government agencies and contractors from holding training sessions that teach America is “fundamentally racist or sexist”, again forcing the spotlight on cultural clashes ahead of the US election.​
The executive order’s list of issues that cannot be promoted through diversity training include suggesting that someone “bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex”.​
The lengthy order was signed on Tuesday and expands the US president's recent pushback on such training, now including private businesses who take up contracts with the federal government and so receive taxpayer funds.​
Freedom of speech being a thing we reserve for alt-right goons and “the intellectual dark web”?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a feeling you posting this philosophical onion of a scene is an example of Nietzsche's "Pearls before swine".
I think the only thing that bothers me about it is that I'm not sure you've even understood it yourself.

Was it an issue previously? Sounds like the ruck nomination rule. Fixing an issue that never really existed

Last edited:

How did we get so far down the path of not liking people or stopping friendships over who you vote for?

The funniest part of this whole story is that people aren't entirely sure what he got suspended for. was it the pro Trump support? or was it the fact the waving hand emoji he used was black? either way this is total utter ******* madness that needs to stop!

Crazy stuff. Talk about trying to widen the division in society. It's cancel a trumpy hour that's for sure. Have seen it a bit lately. Reminds me of that actress who was attacked because she happened to be hooking up with a Trump fan. Is it really that big of a deal? Many of my friends and associates hate Trump with the best of em. Some of them have very very different political and social views. Doesn't really bother me, or seem to bother them when we discuss it and we dont agree.

Freedom of speech being a thing we reserve for alt-right goons and “the intellectual dark web”?
Can't say I will be expecting the usual "pro free speech" crowd to come out in opposition to Twitter deleting posts wishing death to Trump.

It's time to cancel Pizza Hut because of its "white-centred food narratives"!

Or, at the very least, when you order a capricciosa, it should come with a warning label on the box explaining the "context" of pizza and why cultural appropriation of food is problematic. People need to be educated about this!

Last edited:
It's time to cancel Pizza Hut because of its "white-centred food narratives"!

Or, at the very least, when you order a capricciosa, it should come with a warning label on the box explaining the "context" of pizza and why cultural appropriation of food is problematic. People need to be educated about this!

What is eater.com ?

It reminds of the time they cast The Rock as an amputee, erasing the lived experiences of real-life amputees!
So shocking they didn’t even cancel the movie based on ONE person’s complaint!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back