Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Is this cancel culture?

Dunno, didn't read it, but I reckon this is:

An Asian activist took exception to a shop selling Asian food when the owners weren't Asian. She tweeted about it, got support, and the business is being closed by the people who own the space they leased.

Because "cultural appropriation"...

Dunno, didn't read it, but I reckon this is:

An Asian activist took exception to a shop selling Asian food when the owners weren't Asian. She tweeted about it, got support, and the business is being closed by the people who own the space they leased.

Because "cultural appropriation"...

Oh yeah that's ****ed up.

But, you know, Canada.

Although, you can see they might have a point in telling these people to * off. There are always details.

She also pointed out that Ripe Nutrition's marketing, which includes hot sauces called "jerk me" and "hot pho u" and refers to their broth bar as a "brothel," effectively sexualizes these traditional foods.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Aso, Sia is copping a LOT of heat for her new music video film thing that is about autistic people. It's supposed to be a supportive film. She consulted with an autistic charity and cast a dozen or so autistic people as well as trans actors. But the main actor wasn't autistic, so, you know, she's trash.

Aso, Sia is copping a LOT of heat for her new music video film thing that is about autistic people. It's supposed to be a supportive film. She consulted with an autistic charity and cast a dozen or so autistic people as well as trans actors. But the main actor wasn't autistic, so, you know, she's trash.

I thought the heat was multiplied when she got annoyed rather than listened to the arguments.

I just don't know why you would make an entertainment product like that and swap in someone without autism. It's a bit dumb. You had to know it was going to cause a fuss.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
I thought the heat was multiplied when she got annoyed rather than listened to the arguments.

I just don't know why you would make an entertainment product like that and swap in someone without autism. It's a bit dumb. You had to know it was going to cause a fuss.
Because it's called acting.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
In a music video?
...yes? Not sure why that makes a difference. I haven't looked into it but from the descriptions, it seems like its a series of music videos that makes up a whole short film or something like that. Regardless, doesn't matter.

I get wanting representation, and they did get it. But theres a limit to how much is fair to demand from someone making a film off their own bat that is specifically to raise awareness for your cause.

Mar 28, 2006
POLICE STATE
AFL Club
Collingwood

The problem is that many in these Twitter mobs often presume bad faith/intentions on the part of the individual in the wrong - which is not always the case. This presumption leads to inaccurate misrepresentations (such as her 'mocking' autistic people) - which is largely what she got annoyed at. Sia claims that she did originally have an autistic actor for the lead role but they found the role 'stressful and overwhelming' and that there are 13 actors who are on the spectrum featured in the film.

There's a fine line between enhancing the representation of minorities in media and absurd back-seat casting criticisms from Twitter (some of the replies are literally "I'm an autistic actor - why not hire me?").

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The problem is that many in these Twitter mobs often presume bad faith/intentions on the part of the individual in the wrong - which is not always the case. This presumption leads to inaccurate misrepresentations (such as her 'mocking' autistic people) - which is largely what she got annoyed at. Sia claims that she did originally have an autistic actor for the lead role but they found the role 'stressful and overwhelming' and that there are 13 actors who are on the spectrum featured in the film.

There's a fine line between enhancing the representation of minorities in media and absurd back-seat casting criticisms from Twitter (some of the replies are literally "I'm an autistic actor - why not hire me?").
Another comment that resonated....

'Sorry folks, we are after someone to play a murderer, so if you've never murdered anyone, don't waste your time...'

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The BBC are not cancelling but censoring the Pogues’ Fairytale of New York, but only for the snowflake generation.

BBC Radio 1 is to air a censored version of the Pogues’ Fairytale of New York that removes the words “f*****” (rhymes with maggot) and “s***” (rhymes with shut) from Kirsty MacColl’s verse. Radio 2 will continue to air the original version, while 6 Music will allow its DJs to choose the version they wish to play.​
The BBC said: “We know the song is considered a Christmas classic and we will continue to play it this year, with our radio stations choosing the version of the song most relevant for their audience,” suggesting sensitivity over the words varies between Radio 1’s younger audience and the older listeners of Radio 2.​
Adopting the characters of an argumentative but sentimental married couple, MacColl sings to Shane MacGowan: “You scumbag, you maggot / You cheap lousy f***** / Happy Christmas your arse / I pray God it’s our last.”​

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
The BBC are not cancelling but censoring the Pogues’ Fairytale of New York, but only for the snowflake generation.

BBC Radio 1 is to air a censored version of the Pogues’ Fairytale of New York that removes the words “f*****” (rhymes with maggot) and “s***” (rhymes with shut) from Kirsty MacColl’s verse. Radio 2 will continue to air the original version, while 6 Music will allow its DJs to choose the version they wish to play.​
The BBC said: “We know the song is considered a Christmas classic and we will continue to play it this year, with our radio stations choosing the version of the song most relevant for their audience,” suggesting sensitivity over the words varies between Radio 1’s younger audience and the older listeners of Radio 2.​
Adopting the characters of an argumentative but sentimental married couple, MacColl sings to Shane MacGowan: “You scumbag, you maggot / You cheap lousy f***** / Happy Christmas your arse / I pray God it’s our last.”​

Do they play WAP though?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Chief some more cancel culture for you...

These dicksnaps work for a publishing company. They are literally in the business of giving people a platform for their ideas. But OMG Jordan Peterson triggers me so that's a dealbreaker.

Consider the ridiculousness of their objections.

It bears repeating but no one is forcing these knobs to buy his book or read his book. That's entirely up to them. But they are insisting that no else should have that choice. They work in publishing. Their entire industry relies on giving people that option.

Chief some more cancel culture for you...

These dicksnaps work for a publishing company. They are literally in the business of giving people a platform for their ideas. But OMG Jordan Peterson triggers me so that's a dealbreaker.

Consider the ridiculousness of their objections.

It bears repeating but no one is forcing these knobs to buy his book or read his book. That's entirely up to them. But they are insisting that no else should have that choice. They work in publishing. Their entire industry relies on giving people that option.
I suppose it’s like if you publish the annotated version of Mein Kampf versus the one with a foreword by Blair Cottrell and a swastika on the front?

Back