Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

The pandemic just ate all that money up and Hollywood is located in California, a place everybody should consider cancelling.
It’s a nice place. I’ve been there a couple of times for a collective... maybe 6 weeks?

Been there several times myself, had a great time, worked there for a while. Now the joint has gone completely mad in the past 20 years. I've cancelled it!
I was there in 2010 - didn’t seem mad. Too many homeless people though. Need to sort that out with better safety nets and medical care.

I was there in 2010 - didn’t seem mad. Too many homeless people though. Need to sort that out with better safety nets and medical care.
One thing about being homeless in LA, you have to stay warm, stay fed, and avoid the myriad of falling anvils that you never realised just appear out of the sky when there's not a roof to protect you. And although all of those dangers are true for people who call Los Angeles home, for the world's most pretentious humans, homeless people are fair game as a source of entertainment and LA was once the entertainment capital wasn't it? 2021 could be worse than 2020 over there once Joe finds the keys to the basement door?

One thing is for certain, Hollywood is on the way to extinction. As renowned research biologists Motorhead and climate environmentalists the WWE have been known to point out, human evolution is a mystery, although 2020 has sped up its ultimate demise far quicker than i thought.
How so? I can't see it happening. They are smart enough to change. Hollywood as a place where movies are made? It takes hits because of how expensive it is but the people making the films are still in that vicinity.

Hollywood is or is not on the way to extinction coz ideology or covid. The whole entertainment industry will or will not die off mainly because someone somewhere will find parts of entertainment offensive. Covid may exacerbate it but it won't be the main reason.

We've already seen ridiculous reasons for cancelling certain elements of entertainment, there's literally universes of examples of entertainment like rap songs that should be cancelled if some other forms have been already.

And that really is the issue, a minority or individual takes offence (not given) to something and then the ruling is no one is allowed access because of a few.

'Someone doesn't like this bit so no one can form their own view'

I was in LA in 2010. Stayed at a hostel on the Walk of Fame. Woke uo early one morning and wanted some milk so walked outside looking for a store. Was gobsmacked at the amount of homeless people walking from bin to bin looking for food scraps. Then at night the Petrol station closed and homeless people flooded in from all over to setup for the night.

10 years ago though Venice Beach didnt have tents down the boardwalk. Does now:

The sad thing is that skid row is such a short distance from Hollywood. The gap in standard of living in such close proximity is extraordinary. The celebs from Bel Air just about drivr past skid row on the way to the Staples Centre to watch the Lakers play basketball, yet they host awards and lecture the general public on morals and ethics.

In the days after 9/11, a major US radio chain called Clear Channel circulated an internal memo blacklisting certain songs deemed "lyrically questionable" in light of the attacks in NYC. It included a bunch of AC/DC songs but also, bizarrely, John Lennon's Imagine.

It seemed crazy to me at the time. But here we are 20 years later and this impulse to "protect" audiences from content deemed problematic or potentially offensive/hurtful has gone into overdrive.

I can't be bothered reading 70 odd pages to see if this has been covered but are you drawing a direct link between that blacklist of songs after 9/11 and modern day cancel culture?

I can't be bothered reading 70 odd pages to see if this has been covered but are you drawing a direct link between that blacklist of songs after 9/11 and modern day cancel culture?
Insofar as an impulse exists to suppress content to "protect" audiences, and that impulse manifests in irrational ways.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily a "direct link" but the impulse is similar in both cases, although it's different people doing the suppressing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Insofar as an impulse exists to suppress content to "protect" audiences, and that impulse manifests in irrational ways.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily a "direct link" but the impulse is similar in both cases, although it's different people doing the suppressing.
I'd never thought of a direct link between those things before but I might be able to draw one if I thought about it.

Have you ever heard of a band called Dead Kennedys?

Or the PMRC - Parents Music Resource Centre?

I'd never thought of a direct link between those things before but I might be able to draw one if I thought about it.

Have you ever heard of a band called Dead Kennedys?

Or the PMRC - Parents Music Resource Centre?
Like I said, I didn't claim a "direct link", so much as a similarly irrational impulse to "protect audiences" from the mildest offence.

Are people getting dumber?

At the end of last year I was talking to a year 12 who was going on to study Engineering at university. A bit later in the conversation it became apparent that he did not know his time tables. I know that is only a small part of intelligence but it seems that technology has replaced the need to think for oneself.

I saw the term 'Ok Karen' getting lambasted a few days ago.

Not because it was offensive to women named Karen, but because it was offensive to Indigenous folk who have had their life put in danger by "Karens" such as Amy Cooper (despite her name not being Karen). The term shouldn't be used lightly anymore as it is now reserved for genuinely traumatic and racist experiences.

I'll see if I can find the page but it was on Instagram and just a small page with 200 followers or so promoting a product or something that said Ok Karen on it. Pretty sure they just had to disable comments for the whole page, they'll probably get cancelled if they get anymore followers.

Last edited:
At the end of last year I was talking to a year 12 who was going on to study Engineering at university. A bit later in the conversation it became apparent that he did not know his time tables. I know that is only a small part of intelligence but it seems that technology has replaced the need to think for oneself.

This! People aren’t getting dumber, they’re getting lazier in what they need to learn.

Why learn times tables? We live in a world now where you have a phone on you 24/7 which can do maths for you.

I have a hard time getting my son (6years old) to even type/write if he’s searching for something on a device. Always used the microphone search when he thinks no one can hear him.

Been there numerous times, worked there for three months, it's a soulless place now. The best place for it in 2021 is the Pacific ocean!
Joshua Tree national park. San Diego wild animal park. Legoland.

The list is endless/ends about there.

This! People aren’t getting dumber, they’re getting lazier in what they need to learn.

Why learn times tables? We live in a world now where you have a phone on you 24/7 which can do maths for you.

I have a hard time getting my son (6years old) to even type/write if he’s searching for something on a device. Always used the microphone search when he thinks no one can hear him.
Lazier or smarter with the time they have? If I was in the next generation, I'm not sure whether I'd want to be learning every single basic skill that I might never need to use in my life moving forward, when there's other skills I could focus on.

You are correct, no one ever will really need to do multiplication again by their own calculation. Even if they struggled with the vary basics of it, they could get the required answer in seconds.

The phenomenon of promoting the “canceling” of people, brands, TV shows and movies due to what some consider to be offensive or problematic remarks or ideologies — isn’t all that new. There is nothing new in "Cancel Culture". Cancel Culture is "bad religion run amuck"- Nick Cave. He is quite correct of course. Over the last few years, the social-media trend has gained momentum under the trendy new name — placing celebrities, companies and media alike under a microscope of political correctness. It's insane. Just recently I have been cancelled by a life long friend because I said Joe Biden is "crazy". I can't change my mind, because he really is! Do we all go and cancel all Collingwood supporters? “Cancel Culture” is growing into the erasing of history, encouraging lawlessness, muting citizens, and violating free exchange of ideas, thoughts, and speech.” . Ban Blazing Saddles? Bollocks to it all!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back