Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's a cut in the audio at about :45 seconds. There was probably a commercial break or a song, in which a producer entered the studio and told Eddie he'd better apologise quick smart.

A brain fade means you revert to how you really talk and think in private and mistakenly say it in public. These people love to make "ape" jokes in private, and unfortunately he slipped up and did it on air, probably thinking Luke Darcy was "one of boys" and it would be OK. Someone who doesn't have those underlying thoughts or doesn't make those comments in private doesn't have to worry about accidentally becoming a racist in public because of a "brain fade"
You're really playing the psychic here assuming you know the thoughts of all involved. I said the comment was very wrong, my personal opinion is that he should not have been cancelled over it due to the amount of hours he does per day that are broadcasted nationally, along with the fact that he immediately corrected himself and apologised. And he thankfully did not get cancelled, at least not until a few years later.

You're really playing the psychic here assuming you know the thoughts of all involved. I said the comment was very wrong, my personal opinion is that he should not have been cancelled over it due to the amount of hours he does per day that are broadcasted nationally, along with the fact that he immediately corrected himself and apologised. And he thankfully did not get cancelled, at least not until a few years later.

Fair call, maybe not 'cancelled' but it deserved to be called out for what it was.

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks heavens...

Should be judged by today's standards?

This whole blow up over Hey Hey apparently being a victim of "cancel culture" in 2021 makes me wonder if anyone realises why it was canned all the way back in 1999 in the first place?

HHIS was a originally a Saturday morning kids show from the 70s which migrated to the evening in the 80s. It's slapstick silly humour originally designed for children obviously carried over well in the 80s and early 90s. But by the late 90s things had changed. Australians were preferring a more mature brand of comedy at that time, and HHIS's ratings were starting to tank. I remember shows like The Panel and Rove which appeared around that time were said to be what Australians were preferring, rather than lowbrow humour delivered by an ostrich puppet and a guy in a duck suit on a Saturday night. Eventually it got to a point where it was too expensive to produce and not rating high enough so it was canned. It was definitely outdated in 2009 during it's brief return when they thought it was OK to perform in blackface in front of an American Southerner. The ratings tanked hard after that stunt.

So Hey Hey was ended by the free market, not by "PC cancel culture".

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Should be judged by today's standards?

This whole blow up over Hey Hey apparently being a victim of "cancel culture" in 2021 makes me wonder if anyone realises why it was canned all the way back in 1999 in the first place?

HHIS was a originally a Saturday morning kids show from the 70s which migrated to the evening in the 80s. It's slapstick silly humour originally designed for children obviously carried over well in the 80s and early 90s. But by the late 90s things had changed. Australians were preferring a more mature brand of comedy at that time, and HHIS's ratings were starting to tank. I remember shows like The Panel and Rove which appeared around that time were said to be what Australians were preferring, rather than lowbrow humour delivered by an ostrich puppet and a guy in a duck suit on a Saturday night. Eventually it got to a point where it was too expensive to produce and not rating high enough so it was canned. It was definitely outdated in 2009 during it's brief return when they thought it was OK to perform in blackface in front of an American Southerner. The ratings tanked hard after that stunt.

So Hey Hey was ended by the free market, not by "PC cancel culture".
Agreed, it's not about cancel culture, per se. But do we need a public apology for this stuff? That impulse is related to cancel culture.

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Agreed, it's not about cancel culture, per se. But do we need a public apology for this stuff? That impulse is related to cancel culture.

Maybe they genuinely feel regret about smearing Kamahl with white powder and portraying him in a cooking pot with a bone through his nose. Stuff which I thought was pretty racist in the late 80s but obviously which these immature bogans found funny then.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Right Wing Politcial Correctness for the most part is just an evolution of religious Puritanism, you could say it can be traced back to the Salem witch hunts, combined with a good dose of nationalism.
And now the left has caught up with their religious equivalent of progressive ideology.

The only difference I see between the cancel lovers on each side of the political spectrum is that the right tend to stick together more while the left love to eat their own. Until the reasonable progressives really disassociate themselves from the criticism of the far-left nutters, they are always going to be battling a war on two fronts.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Ugh, more cancel culture!
1617421580447.png

Does a US state trying to stop people voting - because they are sooky over how the presidential and senate runoff elections went - count as cancel culture?

When the same people demand voter ID but baulk at gun IDs you know they are canceling both the right to vote AND the right to not get shot when you go shopping.

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Does a US state trying to stop people voting - because they are sooky over how the presidential and senate runoff elections went - count as cancel culture?

As far as the law goes it's horrific. GOP controlled legislature in Georgia absolutely sooking that they lost the Presidential vote and the two Senate seats in a traditionally GOP state. So they pass a law that targets urban minority voters more likely to vote Democrat. Restricting the amount of postal vote locations in urban areas by 80%. Restricting the time available to apply for a postal vote. Not allowing food and water to be sold to people in lines at polling stations (in urban areas these waits can be over 8hrs). All designed to target areas and groups more likely to vote Democrat. If this was a third world country the US would be getting ready to bomb them (if they sat on oil of course).

That's real cancel culture.

Now corporations like Microsoft, the MLB, Coke et al use their free market rights to choose to place their business elsewhere in the country, and the right has a massive sook. Isn't this what they want? Private businesses having to right to run their business the way they want? I guess a Christian bakery not wanting to serve a gay couple is different to MLB not wanting to host their All Star game in Atlanta.

Sooks.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't know if it's comforting or concerning but 60 odd million people will vote for pretty much anyone wearing a red tie. There aren't actually 74m people who really really want Trump to be the guy out of 300m people.

If Trump doesn't run again or loses out in the primaries in 2024 to a more traditional Republican (whether free marketeer, religious conservative or both) then it's not like all the horned hat wearers are going to vote Democrat. They'll vote Republican, or maybe not vote.

2020 74m vs 81m
2016 63 vs 66
2012 61 vs 66
2008 60 vs 69
2004 62 vs 59
2000 50 vs 51
1996 40 vs 47
1992 39 vs 45

2020 was the anomaly overall with such a big turnout, but in general the Democrat vote fluctuates more. Assuming Trump isn't there in 2024 and there's no big protest vote, I reckon Biden's 81m will drop. Obama was a popular, charismatic guy and his vote dropped 4-5% after 2008. Biden is 95 years old and a white male career politician. Biggest challenge IMO will be maintaining voter engagement. A Republican win will be a function of Democrat voters not voting more than non voters or Democrat voters voting Republican.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is so very devastating that such an illiterate and incoherent boob of a man could become president.
In the future you'll realise he was the GOAT, Shan. Actions speak louder than words. Biden is doing all the same stuff, just being less honest about it. See: the border crisis being worse than ever!

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
In the future you'll realise he was the GOAT, Shan. Actions speak louder than words. Biden is doing all the same stuff, just being less honest about it. See: the border crisis being worse than ever!
GOAT? Need to brush up on your history mate. There were a few presidents in days gone by that might raise an eyebrow at that claim.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Heaps of Magas now trying to cancel Trump's ongoing grift, check your bank statement dude.

I maxed out several credit cards to donate to the cause, I regret nothing.

I'm kidding. Or am I? Who knows, that's half the fun m8.

Is Michael Foucault being cancelled now and his books burnt now he has been accussed of being a paedophile?

Double standards exist all over the shop here. If you're a spooky ex TV host you're fair game but what about Jimmy Page and his sexual predilections? Nobody is calling for his prosecution and burning Led Zep IV. Bill Wyman openly dated a thirteen year old. Miles Davis and John Lennon were both handy with their fists when it came to disagreements with their ladies but nobody wants to cancel their works, although I'm open to binning the Yoko sides of a couple of LPs.

Back