Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Abigail Shrier has written a book called Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters. It argues that gender fluidity is a kind of social contagion among teenage girls, with potentially damaging implications. Disagree with that contention, by all means.

But the American Booksellers Association has apologised for listing the book's publication in its communications with its members. But wait for the kicker.

"This is a serious, violent incident that goes against ABA’s policies, values, and everything we believe and support. It is inexcusable," the ABA tweeted.

A violent incident! It's a book. These wingnuts now characterise a book as a "violent incident".

This is the intellectual framework for blasphemy complaints. If a book about trans issues is a "violent incident" then why can't hardline Islamists make the same claim about The Satanic Verses or other depictions of the prophet.

If it's all "violence", then that speech must presumably be curtailed?

Nail head by bill Maher.

Good vid.

On cultural appropriation: I think it's a valid concept, indeed I have seen an article ( may have even been on the ABC news website) explaining how it CAN be bad or exploitative. I'll have to find it was a good read.

But the problem I see is the eagerness for some people to identify CA in every nook and cranny of modern society, and subsequently call it out when it is not actually causing a problem ( like in the Olympics).

When it actually swallows up the world :D

Yeah for the most part all these stories I hear (like the ones he cites) seem to be isolated incidents, I'm glad most of the world has it's common sense intact.

Would be cold comfort for those few who cop it though. Is it getting more widespread? I really don't know, but we do hear a lot more about it.

Would be cold comfort for those few who cop it though.
Yeah the effects on individuals unfairly losing jobs and reputations are really unfortunate. Have to feel for them.

Yeah the effects on individuals unfairly losing jobs and reputations are really unfortunate. Have to feel for them.

The recent example of the English cricketer for whom old homophobic and racist tweets were dug up was handled well.

No cover up or denial, he has to own it. Kind of ruined his debut day, but then again he may have ruined a lot of people's days with what he said.

Explains how he is sorry. Live and learn. He doesn't get burnt at the stake.

No more All Whites? NZ Football consider dropping national team's nickname

Really hitting the big issues I see. Will the All Blacks be changing their name as well?

Really hitting the big issues I see. Will the All Blacks be changing their name as well?

haha they'll come for Chess next - it's racist that white always goes first. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should never have been called that in the first place, surely it was a name more suited the Springbox in the 70s and 80s.

They should never have been called that in the first place, surely it was a name more suited the Springbox in the 70s and 80s.
I was at the cricket at Newlands it was the first post ban series against India when Danie Craven, the man who said a black man would play for the Springboks over his dead body died. The announcement came over the tannoy before play and then remarkably they had a minute's silence for him at the first drinks break. I can't imagine what the Indian cricketers thought as they dutifully lined up and payed tribute, I doubt any of them had actually heard of the bloke before that day.

I was at the cricket at Newlands it was the first post ban series against India when Danie Craven, the man who said a black man would play for the Springboks over his dead body died. The announcement came over the tannoy before play and then remarkably they had a minute's silence for him at the first drinks break. I can't imagine what the Indian cricketers thought as they dutifully lined up and payed tribute, I doubt any of them had actually heard of the bloke before that day.

Amazing times.

What was the general feel in the crowd regarding the changing times? Black players for SA, mixed race in the crowds, etc? Would have been fascinating.

As for the minute's silence - I guess I'd need to know more about what his contribution to society was more broadly. I do remember when the ANC first became government they were careful to not to completely rub it in the face of the white establishment - indeed PW Botha's family was offered a state funeral when he died. (The family politely declining of course)

haha they'll come for Chess next - it's racist that white always goes first. :D

Chess accepts no sudden moves. Some folk are still confused when someone pulls an en passant move, and that's been around since the 15th century!!

ad-3.png

Chess accepts no sudden moves. Some folk are still confused when someone pulls an en passant move, and that's been around since the 15th century!!

ad-3.png

A good blind goosing has much the same effect.

One of the worst aspects of cancel culture/call out culture is that concepts like statute of limitations and double jeopardy don't seem to apply.

Jason Kidd and Chauncey Billups have been recently hired as NBA head coaches.

Kidd was a head coach 2013-2018 and an assistant until his appointment. Billups has been an assistant the last two years.

Kidd pleaded guilty to a DV charge in 2001 and was done for DUI in 2012. His playing career concluded in 2013. Billups was accused of sexual assault in 1997 and settled a civil case out of court in 2000. His playing career continued until 2014.

With each hire there was been predictable noise about past events. Press conferences to justify why they were hired as head coaches rather than lynched by an angry mob in a field etc. People even questioning Damian Lillard (star player at Portland who hired Billups - also 7 years old in 1997) for saying Billups would be a good head coach.

I'm not saying these guys are good or bad dudes or otherwise, but we are talking about 20+ years ago and a DUI. What motivates people to go deep diving for this stuff as a hobby? Jason Kidd has already been a head coach, twice. Billups played for 17 years after his sexual assault charge and is a highly respected assistant coach at the LA Clippers. If Billups goes on to coach 20 years and wins 5 championships are people going to interrupt his retirement speech with 'yeah but 1997'?

There is no new information in this. It's just raking over old graves.

Would Malone be a good coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back