Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

'Profound abuse': Judge disciplines pro-Trump lawyers over election lawsuit

Stop being played by far right loons, you'll be the first they ****

By Jan Wolfe

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -A U.S. judge on Wednesday sanctioned Sidney Powell and other lawyers who sued in Michigan to overturn Democratic President Joe Biden's election victory over Donald Trump, and suggested they might deserve to lose their law licenses.

In a highly anticipated written ruling, U.S. District Judge Linda Parker in Detroit said the pro-Trump lawyers, including Powell and prominent litigator Lin Wood, should have investigated the Republican former president's voter fraud claims more carefully before filing what Parker called a "frivolous" lawsuit.

Parker, who dismissed the Michigan suit last December, formally requested that disciplinary bodies investigate whether the pro-Trump lawyers should have their law licenses revoked. The judge also ordered the lawyers to attend classes on the ethical and legal requirements for filing legal claims.

"This lawsuit represents a historic and profound abuse of the judicial process," Parker said in her decision, adding that the case "was never about fraud - it was about undermining the People's faith in our democracy and debasing the judicial process to do so."

The judge said Powell, Wood, and other lawyers who worked with them "have scorned their oath, flouted the rules, and attempted to undermine the integrity of the judiciary along the way."

Cancel Nevermind.

A baby was exploited.

Are you an apologist for child pr0n?

A bit weird to do this more given he has re-enacted the photo with at least one magazine over the years. Pretty sure I've seen him do so a few times, but could have just been the same one recycled.

He'll get a nuisance payout. Much the same as those Covington kids. "Here's $X, a huge sum for you, a drop in the ocean for my client, now GTFO". Happens all the time.

No, not at all. But the cricket world needs to stick by its morals.

The cricket world says nothing about Pakistani cricketers not being allowed to play in the IPL.

Cancelling the Test will only serve to deprive both male and female Afghan teams from competing internationally.
Not that there is a simple solution here.

The cricket world says nothing about Pakistani cricketers not being allowed to play in the IPL.
Who administers the IPL?

Cancelling the Test will only serve to deprive both male and female Afghan teams from competing internationally.
There are no female Afghan teams. That's the point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who administers the IPL?

There are no female Afghan teams. That's the point.

It's not the fault of the IPL organisers.
The Indian govt won't grant visas to Pakistanis.

I'll explain slowly for you....the Indian govt stopping Pakistani cricketers is exactly the same as the Taliban stopping Afghan women sportspeople.
It's complete BS. Why are we stopping a Test for one and not the other?

the Indian govt stopping Pakistani cricketers is exactly the same as the Taliban stopping Afghan women sportspeople
No it isn't.

There's a difference between India/Pakistan relationship and the Afghan men/women relationship.

Isn't it obvious?

We are stopping the Afghan men's teams from competing which is no different to the Taliban stopping the Afghan women's team from competing.
That is an obviously bogus false equivalence.

The Taliban bans all women's sport because of medieval religious doctrine. Civilised nations should reject that by not playing sport against Afghanistan. Doing otherwise would confer legitimacy. If women are banned from playing sport, we should not compete against their men's teams either. It would be rank hypocrisy.

It's not the fault of the IPL organisers.
The Indian govt won't grant visas to Pakistanis.

I'll explain slowly for you....the Indian govt stopping Pakistani cricketers is exactly the same as the Taliban stopping Afghan women sportspeople.
It's complete BS. Why are we stopping a Test for one and not the other?
Are you addicted to false equivalence? Is that the only kind of argument you're capable of making?

OMG it's exactly the same!

Anyone with half a brain can identify that it isn't.

Last edited:
So decisions based on ideology are different to decisions based on ideology?
Interesting.
You're being a little obtuse if you don't see the difference.

What that difference means is another thing.

That is an obviously bogus false equivalence.

The Taliban bans all women's sport because of medieval religious doctrine. Civilised nations should reject that by not playing sport against Afghanistan. Doing otherwise would confer legitimacy. If women are banned from playing sport, we should not compete against their men's teams either. It would be rank hypocrisy.

Are you addicted to false equivalence? Is that the only kind of argument you're capable of making?

OMG it's exactly the same!

Anyone with half a brain can identify that it isn't.

I don't have half a brain, I've got a full brain.
That's how I identified that it is.

You're being a little obtuse if you don't see the difference.

What that difference means is another thing.

I'm not being obtuse.
We all know that nobody says anything because the BCCI rules the cricket world and there are adverse consequences for those who question the BCCI.

That's all by-the-by.
What we are in effect doing is depriving the men's team of a game because the women's team isn't getting a go.
Who knows what the answer is, I am not convinced that rank hypocrisy is the right answer.

I'm not convinced by your reverse false equivalence.
What does that even mean?

You're deeply and consistently incoherent.

What we are in effect doing is depriving the men's team of a game because the women's team isn't getting a go.
We are refusing to play against a country that bans women from sport. Rightly so.

Would you have been OK with playing against South Africa during apartheid?

I mean, why deprive the white Saffas of a game just because the black Saffas aren't getting a go?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back