Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

It literally means awake. All words are made up, common usage makes them real. That's why the dictionary grows a few words each year.

Well then the term is obviously used incorrectly isn't it. Complaining about minorities being favoured at the expense of the majority has zero to do with 'awake'. That my ghostly friend is the epitome of bullshit if I've ever read it.

I actually knew what it's 'supposed' to define, but it's absolute impractical bullshit.

Well then the term is obviously used incorrectly isn't it. Complaining about minorities being favoured at the expense of the majority has zero to do with 'awake'. That my ghostly friend is the epitome of bullshit if I've ever read it.

I actually knew what it's 'supposed' to define, but it's absolute impractical bullshit.

Heritier is awake. Eddie was asleep.

The majority lost out because Eddie was asleep. It wasn't because Heritier was woke.

Heritier is awake. Eddie was asleep.

The majority lost out because Eddie was asleep. It wasn't because Heritier was woke.
He means that "woke" isn't a made up word, it was already in the dictionary. It was originally a verb, being the past tense of wake.
That it is now an adjective is the result of illiteracy having become de rigueur.

Interestingly, the recent interchangeability of words such as awake/woke or then/than, are the province of those who are not literate enough to know the difference between them. Or, if they are aware of the correct usage or definition, refuse to do so because they would prefer to be wrong and fit in with the crowd they identify with, rather than be right.

So, it is actually the "woke", to use your terminology, the aware, awake, i.e. those who know what is actually going on, who are more likely to know how to use the words correctly and do so, rather than just go along with the rest of the herd.

One of the little paradoxes in life, I suppose.

Last edited:
He means that "woke" isn't a made up word, it was already in the dictionary. It was originally a verb, being the past tense of wake.
That it is now an adjective is the result of illiteracy having become de rigueur.

Interestingly, the recent interchangeability of words such as awake/woke or then/than, are the province of those who are not literate enough to know the difference between them. Or, if they are aware of the correct usage or definition, refuse to do so because they would prefer to be wrong and fit in with the crowd they identify with, rather than be right.

So, it is actually the "woke", to use your terminology, the aware, awake, i.e. those who know what is actually going on, who are more likely to know how to use the words correctly and do so, rather than just go along with the rest of the herd.

One of the little paradoxes in life, I suppose.

Oh well, I guess we now know Gerard Whateley has a BF account.

My contrafibulations on the elucidation of 'Woke'. BTW, how many syllables are in 'interchangeability' Gerard..?

Last edited:

Using a verb to define impractical progressive ideals or opposition / support for them is just as impractical as those ideals.

Whoever thought of using woke as the term to describe 'an epiphany against tyranny' is a f*n moron.

Anyway we're derailing the thread when Pessimistic confused woke as an 'industry'. Woke in the moronic form we've discovered it to be is the antitheses of 'industrious', if anything it is destructive and divisive - nothing else.

Using a verb to define impractical progressive ideals or opposition / support for them is just as impractical as those ideals.

Whoever thought of using woke as the term to describe 'an epiphany against tyranny' is a f*n moron.

Anyway we're derailing the thread when Pessimistic confused woke as an 'industry'. Woke in the moronic form we've discovered it to be is the antitheses of 'industrious', if anything it is destructive and divisive - nothing else.
My understanding is that "woke" was originally used by black folks to urge one another to be alert to racial prejudice and its dangers. It's now become a slightly pejorative label for a swathe of new progressive orthodoxies, by no means limited to race.

My understanding is that "woke" was originally used by black folks to urge one another to be alert to racial prejudice and its dangers. It's now become a slightly pejorative label for a swathe of new progressive orthodoxies, by no means limited to race.

so you are saying the word may have been mis appropriated?

so you are saying the word may have been mis appropriated?
Is that what you're saying?

If that's what you think, you can just say so without posing a tedious strawman question.

I agree the meaning has shifted. At the very least, it is now used to encompass issues other than racial justice.

Frankly, I think the etymology matters less than the specific arguments being made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
100 workers at Netflix and the usual social media mob, are doing their absolute best to put pressure on Netflix to cancel it. So far Netflix are holding firm but the Netflix boss is copping a lot of s**t atm. They will probably get their way and cancel Chappelle.

100 workers at Netflix and the usual social media mob, are doing their absolute best to put pressure on Netflix to cancel it. So far Netflix are holding firm but the Netflix boss is copping a lot of sh*t atm. They will probably get their way and cancel Chappelle.
Netflix won't be cancelling anything that rakes in millions of dollars.

You know he can write a show, get it filmed, and post it on YouTube.

Creativity unleashed, baby!
It only takes a few complaints on youtube these days for a video to be taken down. And 3 strikes is an account being banned.

100 workers at Netflix and the usual social media mob, are doing their absolute best to put pressure on Netflix to cancel it. So far Netflix are holding firm but the Netflix boss is copping a lot of sh*t atm. They will probably get their way and cancel Chappelle.

And he will never be heard from again?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back