Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Last edited:

More cancel culture?

Those in power like to use the courts to silence some

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Im beginning to see the rebellion start against cancel culture. People are realising that the agendas are full of lies and therefore are beginning to not listen. Dave Chappelle proved that all these angry Trans people simply didn't watch his program. Just made judgements. They are a lying disgrace. And frankly the more we ignore these people we show that their unintelligent shouting of buzz words and abuse achieves nothing.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes, multi milliionaire/billionaires like Joe Rogan, Dave Chappelle, JK Rowling and Donald Trump are totally worrying about cancel culture

Just more red meat for their stupid simps to feed on
Yeah shouting buzzwords in protest is hardly a sign of intellectual debate. The simple brainless arguments presented in cancel culture can be easily ripped apart by anyone. They are akin to flat earthers and anitvaxxers

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
Yeah shouting buzzwords in protest is hardly a sign of intellectual debate. The simple brainless arguments presented in cancel culture can be easily ripped apart by anyone. They are akin to flat earthers and anitvaxxers

You do realise the term "cancel culture" is a buzzword? Just like "political correctness" before it

So you complaining about cancel culture is, as you say, hardly a sign of intellectual debate, you at least got that right

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
You’re on show now, champ.

The threat of defamation by powerful men with access to a lopsided versus legal system to silence speech. Mechanism to dissuade speech embedded into a legal framework.

Yet, you pearl clutch about…an impulse.
Let me know when you think you have an argument.

Try not to roll over so quickly this time.

Obviously disingenuous.

You should go back to asking "what is cancel culture?"

Pretending to not understand words was your best argument yet.
I understand what you mean when you say it.

I think you’re wrong.

Get it?

Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Everything goes through trends but eventually it balances out. Cancel culture trended because business got scared of boycotts by a loud minority and scrapped sponsorship as a result. Netflix has shown the world that a loud minority shouting buzzwords at protests doesn't achieve anything and the general public have stopped listening. This is the lazy way of public debate and ultimately whatever message they are trying to convey stops being listened to. The Dave Chappelle controversy proved that a group of lazy people with an agenda not only didn't watch his program but tried and failed to get him cancelled because of it. So not all hope is lost.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I understand what you mean when you say it.

I think you’re wrong.

Get it?
How so? Can you elaborate?

You don't think there is an illiberal impulse that seeks to remove "offensive" content?

Or do you simply object to the term "cancel culture"?

My post was a response to your sarcastic comment that "only lefties do cancel culture". You know I haven't claimed that. I've repeatedly acknowledged instances of RW cancel culture.

Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
suing somene for defamation is cancel culture played out in the courts by wealthy people in every sense of the word
It is an it isn't. For example it's not defamation if it's factual and it can't be opinionated. Which to be honest it's kind if fair. No one should be able to publicly demolish your character based on anything unproven in the media. It's a privileged platform of speech and we can't have people in the media abusing that platform. I do agree though that some people are a bit too precious when it comes to taking people to court. Most often it's a scare tactic.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Do you believe this applies to all:

'If the law was broken, then folks have legal recourse' ?

Do you believe it is has been used to intimidate others?
There are inequities in law. Not everyone can afford a high-priced lawyer. And there are many valid criticisms of Australian defamation law i.e. it tilts the scales too far in favour of the plaintiff and unduly punishes journalists. And I can assure you I'm quite on-board with press freedom generally.

That doesn't make defamation law akin to cancel culture.

Back