Has Clarkson 'done his time'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Im suggesting anyone who thinks mocking a pair of ripped jeans as being racial vilification has serious issues and clearly has zero clue what actual vilification is.

Which is the point Long made.

It’s a thing that over 60s (now) still say because it came from the 70s /80s and even 90s era of ripped jeans fashion.

Punk music/ new wave romantic British pop/ grunge etc etc

I can still remember my old man making the same stupid “dad joke”.

Obviously the Riolis had never heard of this lame attempt at comedy and took extreme offence.

But the horse has bolted now. They believe what they believe.

Im suggesting anyone who thinks mocking a pair of ripped jeans as being racial vilification has serious issues and clearly has zero clue what actual vilification is.

Michael Long does not speak on behalf of all Aboriginals. Of course, mocking a pair of ripped jeans could very easily be racism. Is Michael's opinion more important on this matter than mine?

Racial vilification can take many forms: jokes, or bullying, or gaslighting (which is what you're doing). You're casting doubt on Rioli's ability to understand the situation, and to understand his own relationship to Jeff Kennett.

Which scenario is more credible?
a) Cyril went through his whole career loving the club and never stepping a toe out of line, but became super touchy about one single joke that came his way and then retired over it.
b) Our loud-mouthed former president with a history of offensive comments (racist and more) actually did say or do something offensive, and then stubbornly doubled down when Cyril asked him to apologise and made such a mess of the situation that the Rioli's just decided to leave because they felt so disrespected.

Racial vilification can take many forms: jokes, or bullying, or gaslighting (which is what you're doing). You're casting doubt on Rioli's ability to understand the situation, and to understand his own relationship to Jeff Kennett.

Which scenario is more credible?
a) Cyril went through his whole career loving the club and never stepping a toe out of line, but became super touchy about one single joke that came his way and then retired over it.
b) Our loud-mouthed former president with a history of offensive comments (racist and more) actually did say or do something offensive, and then stubbornly doubled down when Cyril asked him to apologise and made such a mess of the situation that the Rioli's just decided to leave because they felt so disrespected.

Then Cyril made a complaint about Clarko not Kennett...

Yes its all so logically clear.

There has clearly been more than one incident. Did you not get a sense of that, what with the investigation and all? Cyril said Kennett's comments were the final straw.

The Riolis given a full public account of what happened, so has Kennett. If you're still inclined to believe that Kennett is a jovial grandad, and that both Riolis have lost touch with reality, then it reflects poorly on you.

There has clearly been more than one incident. Did you not get a sense of that, what with the investigation and all? Cyril said Kennett's comments were the final straw.

The Riolis given a full public account of what happened, so has Kennett. If you're still inclined to believe that Kennett is a jovial grandad, and that both Riolis have lost touch with reality, then it reflects poorly on you.

Or I dont jump at shadows and am more than okay with actual issues being raised and investigated.

Do you really think the HRC is going to side with the Riolis over a comment about ripped jeans?

If mediation failed what do you reckon the finding would be?

Imagine being the commissioner who put their name to that document...

Oh yeah …forgot about that one.

It wasn’t a good look for him.

Anything else ?
"The concept of having people walking around – and I'm not being racist when I say this – but when I saw some of the footage, the people who are making judgements while they wear these authorative coats, are not people who appear to have a great knowledge of our game," he said.

"And yet they make judgements about what's correct and what's not correct.

"They're new arrivals to Australia, it appears."

Who are you to tell Cyril Rioli and his wife what they felt Kennett was doing? He's a man that is proud of hus gollydoll collection.

This is what Cyril said , 'We were separated from our families. We were told an unborn child would ruin our futures. We were treated as special projects and control of our lives was taken from us. We told our truths in confidence, because we believed that it would bring change.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what Cyril said , 'We were separated from our families. We were told an unborn child would ruin our futures. We were treated as special projects and control of our lives was taken from us. We told our truths in confidence, because we believed that it would bring change.'

He got a scholarship to an elite private school in Melbourne. I assume Clarko's fault? And once joining Hawthorn got every opportunity to go home and visit family including the entire team up there for pre season training.

I cant wait for the public hearings to find out what more he thinks Hawthorn should have done for him.

He got a scholarship to an elite private school in Melbourne. I assume Clarko's fault? And once joining Hawthorn got every opportunity to go home and visit family including the entire team up there for pre season training.

I cant wait for the public hearings to find out what more he thinks Hawthorn should have done for him.
Oh wow, Cyril should be thanking him for getting him into a nice proper school with lots of rich kids

Oh wow, Cyril should be thanking him for getting him into a nice proper school with lots of rich kids

Or it had literally nothing to do with Clarko and he just makes an easy target for whatever Cyril thinks has gone wrong in his life.

BTW: should they not offer scholarships to remote region kids (of any race) just in case they decide they dont like living away from home?

Ban drafting kids from interstate just in case as well?

Or do we make a special case just for Aboriginal kids?

Maybe Hawthorn should go back to their historic policy of not drafting first nations and Indigenous players if they can't stop racism permeating through the club. Clarko tried to do that but to no avail.

Any update on the HRC or is this another pointless thread on the topic?

Maybe Hawthorn should go back to their historic policy of not drafting first nations and Indigenous players if they can't stop racism permeating through the club. Clarko tried to do that but to no avail.

Any update on the HRC or is this another pointless thread on the topic?

At the moment we dont even know if they have gone to the HRC like they said they would. It can take a year or 2 before it gets to the public hearings when we find out.

Or I dont jump at shadows and am more than okay with actual issues being raised and investigated.

Do you really think the HRC is going to side with the Riolis over a comment about ripped jeans?

If mediation failed what do you reckon the finding would be?

Imagine being the commissioner who put their name to that document...
You're the one quoting rumours that Cyril is somehow deranged. Its not jumping at shadows to say there has been mistreatment. That's already been acknowledged by the club.

Cyril is not the one who's been forced to publicly apologise for his actions, Cyril is not the one subject to investigation. The way you keep ridiculing him, and insisting that he's being petty and ungrateful says plenty about your own prejudice.

You're the one quoting rumours that Cyril is somehow deranged. Its not jumping at shadows to say there has been mistreatment. That's already been acknowledged by the club.

Cyril is not the one who's been forced to publicly apologise for his actions, Cyril is not the one subject to investigation. The way you keep ridiculing him, and insisting that he's being petty and ungrateful says plenty about your own prejudice.

Im not sure its Cyril. Cyril's family seem to think it is someone else other than Cyril. As has even been said by a Mod here and also someone who claims to have intimate knowledge of all sorts of claims.

If Cyril makes claims against another then he absolutely gets investigated. And yes, I do think he is being petty given everything he had done for him from a very young age.

I cant imagine you'd find too many who wouldnt swap lives.

At the moment we dont even know if they have gone to the HRC like they said they would. It can take a year or 2 before it gets to the public hearings when we find out.
Cheers. Looks like we have another year or two of drivel on here before everyone involved faces the music.

Im not sure its Cyril. Cyril's family seem to think it is someone else other than Cyril. As has even been said by a Mod here and also someone who claims to have intimate knowledge of all sorts of claims.

If Cyril makes claims against another then he absolutely gets investigated. And yes, I do think he is being petty given everything he had done for him from a very young age.

I cant imagine you'd find too many who wouldnt swap lives
That's just a childish view of the world, I'm afraid. The club treating him well at one time doesn't preclude them from treating him poorly at another. This was a view peddled very often by Goodes-haters: "If I was being paid near-on a million bucks a year, I'd be happy to cop a bit of abuse". It's just completely irrelevant.

Your willingness to listen to and believe a random bigfooty poster rather than Cyril himself should be a point of reflection for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back