Has Damian Hardwick's affair killed the successful Tiger culture?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ever since the news broke the Tiges have looked a shadow of the powerhouse that dominated the comp in the later years of the Twenty Teens.

As a North supporter who saw how the Carey/Stevens thing broke a similar winning culture, the parallels are eerily similar.

Something's amiss at Tigerland, and having used "Mrs Hardwick" as a key part of their brand for so long, the absence of said Mrs Hardwick has to be a factor.

Undoubtedly. The arrogance of the likes of Cotchin (and Mrs Cotchin) along the way haven't helped - they thought they were bigger than the game. They flaunted the rules on and off the field as the wins came, thought they were untouchable.

It's the story of Icarus all over again.

No surprise a team that is just focused on doing the hard work beat them yesterday. There will be clubs lining up to see how North have done it.

In all seriousness

Before the affair - Houli, Rance, Astbury, Lambert, a peak Edwards, a peak Riewoldt, a strong Cotchin, a peak Dusty, Caddy going well

Since - 1 retiree season from Houli and Astbury, minimal games from Lambert, Dusty half a season, Cotchin not at his best, Riewoldt another year older, Edwards in his Swan song.

All good things must come to an end and Richmonds core has ended or near the end. They are getting some areas filled in beautifully - seem to find more players every month (this month: Cumberland in a Caddy role).

Ever since the news broke the Tiges have looked a shadow of the powerhouse that dominated the comp in the later years of the Twenty Teens.

As a North supporter who saw how the Carey/Stevens thing broke a similar winning culture, the parallels are eerily similar.

Something's amiss at Tigerland, and having used "Mrs Hardwick" as a key part of their brand for so long, the absence of said Mrs Hardwick has to be a factor.
id argue that there is something to this, it is a factor albeit a small one.
along with tired aging bodies...injuries etc...poor form and lack of development in younger players would be the greatest.
We lost all of our past 5 games by under a kick or so.
We are competitive but lack that killer instinc that got us over the line.
in saying that we could've easily been top 2 this year if a few things turned out a little differently.

I don't think it's that simple. The players who have been stars for them are older, and in many cases significantly worse. Players like Edwards, Cotchin, Lambert and even Dusty aren't the players they once were.

They also have some serious scrubs getting lots of games. Aarts is Cal Brown level useless.

I think the whole affair had an impact, but there's a few things going on.

Correlation doesn’t equal causation.

Thanks for the Year 11 cone smokers wisdom.

The reality is that since Dimma's affair broke, the Tigs have looked off.

Yes, there's been other factors at play, it isn't the ONLY factor, but it seems decisive to me.

id argue that there is something to this, it is a factor albeit a small one.
along with tired aging bodies...injuries etc...poor form and lack of development in younger players would be the greatest.
We lost all of our past 5 games by under a kick or so.
We are competitive but lack that killer instinc that got us over the line.
in saying that we could've easily been top 2 this year if a few things turned out a little differently.

I was reading your postgame thread yesterday and multiple posters mentioned something being wrong at the club, more than one mentioned Hardwick's affair.

Thanks for the Year 11 cone smokers wisdom.

The reality is that since Dimma's affair broke, the Tigs have looked off.

Yes, there's been other factors at play, it isn't the ONLY factor, but it seems decisive to me.
The reality is that there’s a correlation between the two. It isn’t the cause of it.

The facts pointed out by HTPunter in this thread are far more likely to be the reason this happens. On top of the fact that their dynasty went for about as long as the previous three dynasties we’ve had since 2000.

Threads like this encourage no real discussion other than pages and pages of potshotting and should be left for the bay.

I was reading your postgame thread yesterday and multiple posters mentioned something being wrong at the club, more than one mentioned Hardwick's affair.
congrats on the win, you have some great stars and played to win.
The writing was on the wall and I just knew we were dropping this game.
Doesn't help us with Dusty not clearing the air either. that is another little stone in Richmond's shoe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it killed the culture but I can't imagine it helped in regards to the players respecting the coach.

Dimma drove the culture. He didn't do it alone, he had help, others were key in their turnaround after the 2016 disaster.

But the buck stopped with him and by the same token, he got to go up to the dais and hold up the the cups.

His choice had a major effect on the group, we know this via the endless musing of the Cotchdashians.

In all seriousness

Before the affair - Houli, Rance, Astbury, Lambert, a peak Edwards, a peak Riewoldt, a strong Cotchin, a peak Dusty, Caddy going well

Since - 1 retiree season from Houli and Astbury, minimal games from Lambert, Dusty half a season, Cotchin not at his best, Riewoldt another year older, Edwards in his Swan song.

All good things must come to an end and Richmonds core has ended or near the end. They are getting some areas filled in beautifully - seem to find more players every month (this month: Cumberland in a Caddy role).

This. Nothing to do with off field matters. These things happen. Can’t win flags every season

There are a bunch of emotional idiots on our board who post like dickheads after a loss.

I reckon Dusty Martin's dad dying of a heart attack at a relatively young age probably had more to do with their s**t season (and also the fact they're just not very good), but North Melbourne Kangaroos just won so make as many threads as you like rubbing it in, go hard :thumbsu:

I mean they played awesome and just couldn't kick straight(11.22 - 88), 33 scoring shots without Lynch and a few others on a windy day, some one-percent skill errors at the end lost them the game.
Hardly a big worry. No Lynch, Rioli, Castagna, and Dusty in and out of the side.

3 Premierships and still going pretty well all things considered.

Their aim is just to make finals now. Maybe get to 7th or 8th.

Let's be real, it's the top 6 teams now that are in contention for the flag. Dees and Cats and an outside chance for the Pies and Lions..

Last edited:
The reality is that there’s a correlation between the two. It isn’t the cause of it.

The facts pointed out by HTPunter in this thread are far more likely to be the reason this happens. On top of the fact that their dynasty went for about as long as the previous three dynasties we’ve had since 2000.

Threads like this encourage no real discussion other than pages and pages of potshotting and should be left for the bay.

If only we could all provide great content like conveniently leaked screenshots from Tom Morris' group chat that just happen to take the heat off an underperforming Dogs coach.

Last edited:
congrats on the win, you have some great stars and played to win.
The writing was on the wall and I just knew we were dropping this game.
Doesn't help us with Dusty not clearing the air either. that is another little stone in Richmond's shoe.

Yeah, poor bastard, he's had an awful year or so.

There are a bunch of emotional idiots on our board who post like dickheads after a loss.

Every board has them.

But the reaction of the Cotchdashians after the news broke tells us it did have SOME impact.

Tiges won 3 in 4. How long can it last, really?

Having said that, if my battleaxe suddenly ran off with someone else after decades of building a family and total inter-dependence, it would affect my performance significantly.

Having said that, I would probably jump back on the horse after not a too long a time. Gloria the lollipop holding pedestrian crossing lady at St. Glenis', and Anastacia the local shelter volunteer, both appear to be in a dry patch at the mo.

Where’s the evidence that the culture is actually dead, as opposed to the team just not being good enough despite the culture still being great?

If I listen to various scribes and supporter groups I’ll hear how the culture is great at most clubs, but in reality only one wins it all each year.

If only we could all provide great content like conveniently leaked screenshots from Tom Morris' group chat that just happen to take the heat off an underperforming Dogs coach.
So you make a ridiculously pointless post and when called out for it you change the subject completely.

Let’s not talk about underperforming coaches though mate. Two grand finals, a premiership and finals in 5/7 completed seasons aren’t signs of an underperforming coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back