Has Damian Hardwick's affair killed the successful Tiger culture?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
My theory is that they’re just not very good any more

No doubt Richmond's list is not as strong at it was. Players leave, get older, slower and pick up injuries. It is the normal AFL cycle.

Just like Geelong peaking too early, looking like champions and falling away when it counts. :thumbsu: ;) :tearsofjoy:

Geelong July Premiers again.:yum::yum:

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
Undoubtedly. The arrogance of the likes of Cotchin (and Mrs Cotchin) along the way haven't helped - they thought they were bigger than the game. They flaunted the rules on and off the field as the wins came, thought they were untouchable.

It's the story of Icarus all over again.

No surprise a team that is just focused on doing the hard work beat them yesterday. There will be clubs lining up to see how North have done it.

We were bigger than the game . They had to change the rules.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
When discussing Hardwick and Richmond, ask yourself this....

Where would they be without Martin's individual performances?

My son was watching the 2020 GF behind the scenes in the Richmond box. I was actually quite underwhelmed by Hardwick and how he spoke to the playing group. Dropped the F bomb quite a few times and didn't come across as super confident at all. TBH I have had 3 AFL coaches in the ammos who spoke with more confidence, knowledge and authority than what I watched in that game. Russel Jeffries after he spoke you would charge the machine guns going over the top without blinking.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
The reality is that there’s a correlation between the two. It isn’t the cause of it.

The facts pointed out by HTPunter in this thread are far more likely to be the reason this happens. On top of the fact that their dynasty went for about as long as the previous three dynasties we’ve had since 2000.

Threads like this encourage no real discussion other than pages and pages of potshotting and should be left for the bay.
Be honest, we all know threads which exist just to s**t on Richmond are well and truly main board material.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
In all seriousness

Before the affair - Houli, Rance, Astbury, Lambert, a peak Edwards, a peak Riewoldt, a strong Cotchin, a peak Dusty, Caddy going well

Since - 1 retiree season from Houli and Astbury, minimal games from Lambert, Dusty half a season, Cotchin not at his best, Riewoldt another year older, Edwards in his Swan song.

All good things must come to an end and Richmonds core has ended or near the end. They are getting some areas filled in beautifully - seem to find more players every month (this month: Cumberland in a Caddy role).
In double seriousness- that side was a Mason Cox sniff away from 4 peating. Nobody stays up in that world forever. And believe me, once the ball is bounced not one player* is thinking about where Hardwick is putting his willie after dark.

*except maybe Riewoldt- he has the face of a pervert

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
In double seriousness- that side was a Mason Cox sniff away from 4 peating. Nobody stays up in that world forever. And believe me, once the ball is bounced not one player* is thinking about where Hardwick is putting his willie after dark.

*except maybe Riewoldt- he has the face of a pervert
Riewoldt keeps it in-house at least. I reckon Oliver (also face of pervert) might think about where Dimma puts his willie after dark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
Haven't Richmond lost 4 or 5 games by less than a goal or thereabouts? Narrative very different if those results flip. Massive stretch to say an affair killed a club culture. Shithouse goal kicking, a few Grimes brainfart moments and a bit more luck and they would be happy with their ladder position.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Haven't Richmond lost 4 or 5 games by less than a goal or thereabouts? Narrative very different if those results flip. Massive stretch to say an affair killed a club culture. Shithouse goal kicking, a few Grimes brainfart moments and a bit more luck and they would be happy with their ladder position.
Personally, I'm in the camp of 'no Dusty, no dynasty'.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Ever since the news broke that former North premiership player and long-time coach Dani Laidley arrested for stalking, found with meth and revealed as trans in May 2020 North have only won eight games in nearly three seasons. Compare with 22 wins in just two seasons before that.

Something's amiss at Arden St, and having a former player and coach experiencing difficulties in her personal life has to be a factor.

Amidoingitrite?

Personally, I'm in the camp of 'no Dusty, no dynasty'.
Could say that about any team and the best player they have, in our case he was also the best player in the comp as well

But it was also Richmond who drafted him, developed him and had the list around to complement

Would rather have a dynasty even if it’s off the back of one player than no dynasty at all

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Thanks for the Year 11 cone smokers wisdom.

The reality is that since Dimma's affair broke, the Tigs have looked off.

Yes, there's been other factors at play, it isn't the ONLY factor, but it seems decisive to me.
I'm with you.

I'd also add it isn't just an "affair".

It was with a staff member who is subordinant to him which adds an extra layer of "off milk" to it all.

Especially when he created the "Richmond man" brand.

Does everyone get to screw the female staff?

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm with you.

I'd also add it isn't just an "affair".

It was with a staff member who is subordinant to him which adds an extra layer of "off milk" to it all.

Especially when he created the "Richmond man" brand.

Does everyone get to screw the female staff?
Would rather have an adulterer for a coach than a captain who should be in jail for multiple assault charges

Mar 3, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
If that really were the reason then the Tigers would be the mentally weakest side ever.

Given how mentally strong they showed themselves capable of being at their height you'd think that isn't the case.

Father time doing it's thing is more likely along with teams figuring them out is morelikely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back