Has Damian Hardwick's affair killed the successful Tiger culture?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm with you.

I'd also add it isn't just an "affair".

It was with a staff member who is subordinant to him which adds an extra layer of "off milk" to it all.

Especially when he created the "Richmond man" brand.

Does everyone get to screw the female staff?
You’re correct on one count and incorrect on another.

You are right in saying it isn’t just an affair. DH has set up a new life with his new partner. As far as anyone knows they are happily committed couple. Given there are close 50,000 divorces each year in Australia, why would anyone think that AFL coaches are immune to marriage difficulties.

You are incorrect in saying that the staff member was subordinant to DH. They worked in different departments, so DH had no power in that sense. The new partner was not an assistant coach or the like, that DH might have some power over. Both DH and the new partner were subordinant to Benny Gale and the board, who I believe “signed off” the relationship.

There are a bunch of emotional idiots on our board who post like dickheads after a loss.
yep, a small % of those as well would be troll accounts who don't actually barrack for richmond. but it would have some relevance.... i don't think the players, staff and supporters idolize dimma as they once did.

Ever since the news broke the Tiges have looked a shadow of the powerhouse that dominated the comp in the later years of the Twenty Teens.

As a North supporter who saw how the Carey/Stevens thing broke a similar winning culture, the parallels are eerily similar.

Something's amiss at Tigerland, and having used "Mrs Hardwick" as a key part of their brand for so long, the absence of said Mrs Hardwick has to be a factor.
Just to be clear. You reckon Damien Hardwick having marriage troubles might be the reason the oldest or 2nd oldest team in the comp is struggling to hold on to leads in every game they've lost this season? Does it sound silly to you now that you read it back? Every dynasty side drops off at some point.

Would you care if your boss had an affair? I know I wouldn't think twice about it. Yet you reckon it's mentally affecting a bunch of 19-33 year old blokes? Not enough for them not be be able to get into winning positions in every game, just enough to not be able to hold onto a lead :$

Correlation doesn’t equal causation.
Yep.

Anyone who thinks his affair didn't impact the Tigers is in idiot.

Hawkins punched Rohan after his affair was revealed, so this idea that "boys will be boys" who don't care about others stepping out on their wives is old-fashioned nonsense. The culture is changing now. No matter what you think about the Tigers, but it is clear that many of their players are family orientated, either with wives, serious girlfriends, or close relationships with mums or sisters who may have been cheated on before. The modern player isn't fine with that old-fashioned culture--look at what happened to Buckley at the Pies. He couldn't modernise with the times and the players turned on his old-fashioned personality. It's not as bad at Richmond but it is similar.

At the end of the day, a family orientated footy player is not going to be fine with the coach sleeping with a staffer. Even if Dimma hadn't made "Mrs. Hardwick" a key part of the Richmond brand, players were always going to have an issue with the affair and the fact Dimma lied about when the affair started.

The Tigers tried to sell the idea that the affair started in the hubs. In truth, it started at least a year before the pandemic. If Dimma had taken the hit on the chin, maybe it would be a different story, but at the end of the day he refused to take responsibility for his choices by incorrectly making it look like his marriage ended because of Covid.

To make matters worse, Cotchin, who is close to Mrs. Hardwick and whose family publicly supported her, was removed as captain. I have no doubt this is because of the Cotchin family backing Mrs. Hardwick. Look, I don't care if you think Cotchin is a flog, he is a three-time premiership winning captain who was replaced by two dudes without any leadership qualities. It was a dumb decision that never would have happened without Dimma's affair.

The fact the Tigers have now shipped Dimma's sidechick off to a different company means that they at least suspect that the affair hurt their club too.

No one is saying that Dimma is a bad person. Ending a marriage is a normal part of life. It is the way he ended the marriage that has clearly annoyed people at the Tigers.

Reinstate Cotchin as captain and I reckon you see the Tigers get better instantly.

Hawkins punched Rohan after his affair was revealed, so this idea that "boys will be boys" who don't care about others stepping out on their wives is old-fashioned nonsense. The culture is changing now. No matter what you think about the Tigers, but it is clear that many of their players are family orientated, either with wives, serious girlfriends, or close relationships with mums or sisters who may have been cheated on before. The modern player isn't fine with that old-fashioned culture--look at what happened to Buckley at the Pies. He couldn't modernise with the times and the players turned on his old-fashioned personality. It's not as bad at Richmond but it is similar.

At the end of the day, a family orientated footy player is not going to be fine with the coach sleeping with a staffer. Even if Dimma hadn't made "Mrs. Hardwick" a key part of the Richmond brand, players were always going to have an issue with the affair and the fact Dimma lied about when the affair started.

The Tigers tried to sell the idea that the affair started in the hubs. In truth, it started at least a year before the pandemic. If Dimma had taken the hit on the chin, maybe it would be a different story, but at the end of the day he refused to take responsibility for his choices by incorrectly making it look like his marriage ended because of Covid.

To make matters worse, Cotchin, who is close to Mrs. Hardwick and whose family publicly supported her, was removed as captain. I have no doubt this is because of the Cotchin family backing Mrs. Hardwick. Look, I don't care if you think Cotchin is a flog, he is a three-time premiership winning captain who was replaced by two dudes without any leadership qualities. It was a dumb decision that never would have happened without Dimma's affair.

The fact the Tigers have now shipped Dimma's sidechick off to a different company means that they at least suspect that the affair hurt their club too.

No one is saying that Dimma is a bad person. Ending a marriage is a normal part of life. It is the way he ended the marriage that has clearly annoyed people at the Tigers.

Reinstate Cotchin as captain and I reckon you see the Tigers get better instantly.

We won a flag after the affair. You have no clue

This is a fantastic take... especially the part about Richmond are crap because Dimma orchestrated the move away from three-time premiership, 31 year-old, +/-200 games as skipper, possibly to retire at the end of the year captain Trent Cotchin... because his wife publicly supported Mrs Hardwick.

WOWEE!

Also worth noting that joining date to derriere discomfort ratio is high.

Cotchin is cooked and will probably retire. I think people read too much into it, our champion players just got old. Now our best players like Bolton, Baker, Short etc are inconsistent and drift in and out of games and that sees us as a midtable side.

Congrats on one of the shittest posts on bigfooty, quite an effort.

FYI the club asked Cotchin to stay on as captain but he wanted to hand over the reigns to someone else for his last year or two :drunk:

When discussing Hardwick and Richmond, ask yourself this....

Where would they be without Martin's individual performances?

I kept waiting for him to kick three in ten minutes on Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP has been quiet for a long time. Did Nth win or something?

The negativity on our board was doing my head in, and the main board full of Tassie crap, so aye, I've been giving it a miss for a bit.

I'm with you.

I'd also add it isn't just an "affair".

It was with a staff member who is subordinant to him which adds an extra layer of "off milk" to it all.

Especially when he created the "Richmond man" brand.

Does everyone get to screw the female staff?

It's had an impact. There's no denying it.

Ever since the news broke the Tiges have looked a shadow of the powerhouse that dominated the comp in the later years of the Twenty Teens.

As a North supporter who saw how the Carey/Stevens thing broke a similar winning culture, the parallels are eerily similar.

Something's amiss at Tigerland, and having used "Mrs Hardwick" as a key part of their brand for so long, the absence of said Mrs Hardwick has to be a factor.

If your boss ever splits from his/her spouse, make sure you stop being productive and try to use it as an excuse, see how that works for you.

Just to be clear. You reckon Damien Hardwick having marriage troubles might be the reason the oldest or 2nd oldest team in the comp is struggling to hold on to leads in every game they've lost this season? Does it sound silly to you now that you read it back? Every dynasty side drops off at some point.

Would you care if your boss had an affair? I know I wouldn't think twice about it. Yet you reckon it's mentally affecting a bunch of 19-33 year old blokes? Not enough for them not be be able to get into winning positions in every game, just enough to not be able to hold onto a lead :$

Yep.

If my boss had an affair with a subordinate staffer, they'd get sacked mate.

If your boss ever splits from his/her spouse, make sure you stop being productive and try to use it as an excuse, see how that works for you.

If my boss is sacked for sleeping with a subordinate - which is what happens all the time in the real world - productivity will inevitably drop due to the disruption.

No doubt Richmond's list is not as strong at it was. Players leave, get older, slower and pick up injuries. It is the normal AFL cycle.

Just like Geelong peaking too early, looking like champions and falling away when it counts. :thumbsu: ;) :tearsofjoy:

Geelong July Premiers again.:yum::yum:
Would normally agree re geelong but have a feeling it may be theirs this yr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back