Has Gillon lost his Marbles

Remove this Banner Ad

westie

All Australian
Jul 9, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
"Gillon McLachlan says he’ll consider stripping journalists of AFL accreditation after Brad Hardie-Ross Lyon stoush"

Doesn't realise that me must be striking fear into the hearts of some of our most ardent muck-rakers? I mean, what ever would Barrett do if he lost his accreditation?

*mod edit*

Title changed to reflect correct person since there is a Dillon (Andrew) in a senior position at the AFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Was it something he just made up in his own though? Maybe he did hear that from someone. In any case I am not sure many journalists have a 100 percent track record

There are no laws in journalism, only non-binding guidelines, and also a few defamation/libel laws which are weak.

Gillon will never ever ever ever act against a journalist.

Real journalists don't need accreditation.

Real journalists don't cover sports anyway.

The real ones are in bunkers reporting on wars not sitting in their overly plump seats having a crack at Richmond.

Dangerously close to seeking to control the content of what is written.

Accreditations should be stripped for misuse of facilities, sneaking people into games, misuse of accreditation to approach players or officials for non journalism related activities etc etc

But for the content of a story? what the?

Damian Barrett is one of the last honest journalists working in the business. Never has there been a journalist like him that works harder to uncover the truth, in order to fight the injustices of the world.

If everyone was a bit more like Barrett then we wouldn't need heaven, as we'd already be there.

Damian Barrett is one of the last honest journalists working in the business. Never has there been a journalist like him that works harder to uncover the truth, in order to fight the injustices of the world.

If everyone was a bit more like Barrett then we wouldn't need heaven, as we'd already be there.
Yes, butterss wouldn't melt in his mouth.

There shouldn't even be an accreditation system for the AFL. It's a bit of a sword of Damocles situation.

Can't have a system where the AFL can restrict journos by the threat of loss of accreditation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It goes both ways here

1) is freedom of speech and good journalism
2) the other is gross misconduct, slander and lies

Perhaps we need better governance of media but I doubt the AFL are the right group to do it.

I don't get it. A journalist is employed by a paper, TV station, whatever, and I cannot see how Gilligan can prevent them from writing/talking about the game. In the words of Basil Fawlty, "This is exactly how Nazi Germany got started" :)
The accreditation gets them into all those areas of the ground where stuff happens. Not to mention the booze.

It's the same argument that happens everywhere. Some journos write s**t, yeah let's ban journos.

Gil would love that. No bad news.

The dangers of not having a free press are far worse than the odd bullshit story.

Just deal with it. The journo has been called out and looks like an idiot. As he should have been. Play on.

That's rubbish. The demand for coverage of sport is huge. There's plenty of good sports journalists around who do a good job. There's a few bad journos in all areas, plenty not in sport.

Sports writing != Journalism.

The AFL should make journalists sign contracts stating that any claim made by them in their stories must be verifiably true, and anything coming from them is their responsibility, such that they cannot hide behind the old line of "my sources say X" or "I've heard that X" (here's looking at you, Barrett). If something they have stated is challenged by a club/player and proven to be false, then said club/player can request for their AFL accreditation to be removed (either temporarily or permanently on some form of strike system). This isn't hindering free speech, as the journalists can still release whatever stories they wish, it's just that they cannot do it with special access.

If the journalists complain about this being such a heavy burden, then they should do their research to ensure that what they're saying and/or typing is true, which, you know, is their job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back