Has Jack Martin finally arrived ?

Remove this Banner Ad

He has played 76 games and averages 1.1 goal a game throughout his career and is also in the top 10 for pressure acts in the league
This 'Bum' kicked 27 goals in 2019 and thats more than any carlton player. Would of been your best foward in 2019 after McKay who kicked 26 goals without finals.
Don't let them wind you up. It's a jealousy thing. Carlton would kill for a player like Castagna in their side :thumbsu:

I didn't say he didn't. Butler was regularly our #1 pressure point player, in a team that was renowned for it's pressure.

Yeah, Liddle had heaps to do with the footy dept :rolleyes:

Don't be so precious.

Yet he couldn’t get a game over other battlers like Castagna and Baker in the end, and Richmond preferenced a guy who’d never played AFL to bring in to the Grand Final team over him.

He has played 76 games and averages 1.1 goal a game throughout his career and is also in the top 10 for pressure acts in the league
This 'Bum' kicked 27 goals in 2019 and thats more than any carlton player. Would of been your best foward in 2019 after McKay who kicked 26 goals without finals.

Castagna has almost exclusively played in a dominant team that scores a lot over his career, so those numbers are actually pretty mediocre.

Watched Martin in a Mini practice match last week. Worked hard both ways and was really involved. His tackling is impressive. His combination with Betts was very good.

He’s going to be a very good acquisition. Comfortable nailing long passes on either foot, and great intensity from what I have seen.

Forget how good he is overhead too.

Yet he couldn’t get a game over other battlers like Castagna and Baker in the end, and Richmond preferenced a guy who’d never played AFL to bring in to the Grand Final team over him.
Battlers? Not many dual premiership players that are battlers :rolleyes: But yes, both are better small forwards than Butler. That doesn't mean he wouldn't get a game every week for Carlton....

Castagna is severely under rated. He has more strings to his bow than Butler. Kicks goals, a good mark, elite speed and pressure/tackling and can run through the midfield. Lacks a bit of composure sure, but he'd be in every teams best 22 comfortably.

Baker was playing half back in the 2nd half of the year. Somewhere Butler couldn't/shouldn't ever play. Same for Pickett, he's a midfielder and clearly a class or 3 above Butler.

Battlers? Not many dual premiership players that are battlers :rolleyes: But yes, both are better small forwards than Butler. That doesn't mean he wouldn't get a game every week for Carlton....

Castagna is severely under rated. He has more strings to his bow than Butler. Kicks goals, a good mark, elite speed and pressure/tackling and can run through the midfield. Lacks a bit of composure sure, but he'd be in every teams best 22 comfortably.

Baker was playing half back in the 2nd half of the year. Somewhere Butler couldn't/shouldn't ever play. Same for Pickett, he's a midfielder and clearly a class or 3 above Butler.

History is littered with average dual premiership players. In a team of 22, there will always be a few who are short on talent, and have found themselves to be in the right place at the right time - Castagna is no exception.

I doubt he’d be in every teams best 22 either. You really have to separate the macro from the micro on this one, as some players happen to fit a certain niche that makes them valuable to the team they’re playing for, but would be far less successful playing for a side with a different gameplan.

I couldn’t see him playing for Collingwood for example, who have DeGoey, Varcoe, Stephenson, Elliott and Thomas as small/medium forwards.

He might get a game for a club like Melbourne though, who are in need of a pressure forward.

Castagna has almost exclusively played in a dominant team that scores a lot over his career, so those numbers are actually pretty mediocre.

Mate I think you're trying too hard to make your point and it's affecting your ability to think clearly. Castagna may not be a star but he's certainly a good player. He's not a play maker for us (and nor would he be in any other team). He is a dependable goal kicker who can take a good grab and is excellent in applying pressure (better than most in the comp). He is more than just a role player and his numbers are far from mediocre as you suggest. If he could kick straight (from memory I think he kicked more points than goals in '19) he would have been considered to have had a gun year.

Mediocre - yeah not for mine!

Don't let them wind you up. It's a jealousy thing. Carlton would kill for a player like Castagna in their side :thumbsu:
Honestly I wouldn't even trade a fifth round pick for Castagna

One of the many dud players that look 'okay' in Richmond's side because of their talentless-pressure game style.

Mate I think you're trying too hard to make your point and it's affecting your ability to think clearly. Castagna may not be a star but he's certainly a good player. He's not a play maker for us (and nor would he be in any other team). He is a dependable goal kicker who can take a good grab and is excellent in applying pressure (better than most in the comp). He is more than just a role player and his numbers are far from mediocre as you suggest. If he could kick straight (from memory I think he kicked more points than goals in '19) he would have been considered to have had a gun year.

Mediocre - yeah not for mine!

This isn’t the case at all.

You have to contextualise his career and corresponding statistics in line with the team he is playing for, and the advantages he has which have provided him a great run at it. There’s no point divorcing those factors when evaluating him as a player.

There’s no doubt that he’s a hard worker and a great athlete, and that is exceptionally handy when your role is to apply pressure and get out on the end of a fast-break after your teammates have turned the ball over. From this perspective the Richmond gameplan is tailored made for him and his teammates, as his strong points are amplified.

This doesn’t change how good he is as a player though. He started on a low-base and has made incremental improvements in his output for each season, but it would take some substantial improvement for him to develop into anything more than a decent toiler.

He’s almost certainly a career role player, but I doubt it really matters while Richmond are experiencing team success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'd be your best small forward.

Maybe in 2019, when guys like Lang and Fasolo we’re getting games, but I’m skeptical going forward he’d get a spot.

Betts and Martin are better players and we’d look to prioritise Cuningham if injury free, who has more composure and great general nous. It’s a shame he’s been cut down by injury as he’s got the perfect combination of power and speed and also the versatility to play in the midfield where he was originally drafted to play. Serious ice in the veins too.

I would be feeling very meh about picking up Costagna if we did ever get him. If we gave any more than a third round pick for him I'd be a bit disappointed to be honest.

I would be feeling very meh about picking up Costagna if we did ever get him. If we gave any more than a third round pick for him I'd be a bit disappointed to be honest.
There'd be a riot at Punt Road if we let him go for that.

He'll kick more goals than Martin will at probably 1/3 of the cost or even less.

Honestly I wouldn't even trade a fifth round pick for Castagna

One of the many dud players that look 'okay' in Richmond's side because of their talentless-pressure game style.
With talent judgement like that, no wonder Blues fans were rioting when Silvagni was finally given the flick.

As for a talentless game plan? That's why they've won two of the last three grand finals. They're setting a trend and every other club (including ours and yours) is battling to keep up. They deserve a lot more credit than flogs on the internet like you care to give them.

There'd be a riot at Punt Road if we let him go for that.

He'll kick more goals than Martin will at probably 1/3 of the cost or even less.
Well Martin isn't a forward, so he'd want to.

I wouldn't give up a top 30 pick, put it that way. So a second half 2nd round pick is about what I'd rate him at.

With talent judgement like that, no wonder Blues fans were rioting when Silvagni was finally given the flick.

Aren’t you the nuffy who doesn’t rate Cripps?

It’s amazing you continue to turn up despite continuously embarrassing yourself.

Well done for making up lies. As a mod, you should know better than to stoop to such lows.

Prove said I don't rate Cripps. I dare you.

Not sure why you're getting so defensive. I asked a simple question.

I certainly remember you embarrassing yourself with your comments re: Cripps but can't remember the exact nature of them. Maybe it was that you think Carlton are a better side without him?

Or was it that you rate Cunnington higher than him?

I guess the comments don't stand out because you make a fool of yourself in every thread, not just that one specifically.

Not sure why you're getting so defensive. I asked a simple question.

I certainly remember you embarrassing yourself with your comments re: Cripps but can't remember the exact nature of them. I guess they don't stand out because you make a fool of yourself in every thread, not just that one specifically.
Well your assertion was incorrect.

Why is a moderator trolling users of the board who don't agree with their opinions?

How would you rate Cripps in relation to Ben Cunnington and Greg Williams?
Level with Cunnington, although he's now probably slightly ahead based on their respective last eight weeks. Well behind Greg Williams :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back