Has Jack Martin finally arrived ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well your assertion was incorrect.

Why is a moderator trolling users of the board who don't agree with their opinions?

No trolling here. Just confirming for any newbies that your opinion probably isn't one worth bothering with.

With talent judgement like that, no wonder Blues fans were rioting when Silvagni was finally given the flick.

As for a talentless game plan? That's why they've won two of the last three grand finals. They're setting a trend and every other club (including ours and yours) is battling to keep up. They deserve a lot more credit than flogs on the internet like you care to give them.
Yet SOS gave up a pick in the 20s for a plodder in Kennedy. The future apparently.

Castagna has almost exclusively played in a dominant team that scores a lot over his career, so those numbers are actually pretty mediocre.
But dont you think with that contradicts what you say ?
He has played in a dominant team where Richmond play players like Riewoldt,Caddy,Martin,Lynch having taken goals away from him rather than help him kick more goals ?? The more weapons you have up foward the more competition there is for the goals

If Castagna had of kicked straight he could have had over 35 goals easily - To me thats elite small foward range

But dont you think with that contradicts what you say ?
He has played in a dominant team where Richmond play players like Riewoldt,Caddy,Martin,Lynch having taken goals away from him rather than help him kick more goals ?? The more weapons you have up foward the more competition there is for the goals

If Castagna had of kicked straight he could have had over 35 goals easily - To me thats elite small foward range

And by extension that means they get far more attention from opposition defenders and draw additional players to contests, which allows players like Castagna to go unchecked. He gets a huge portion of his goals however by simply bolting forward into an open forwardline as soon as the ball is turned over. Lunch, Riewoldt, Caddy et al aren’t beating him in a footrace to get there.

It’s not worth speculating on the number of goals Castagna would be kicking if he could kick straight, but 35 (hypothetical) goals per season is just over 1 and a half a game and nowhere near elite for a permanent small forward.

He’s at a similar level as someone like Fasolo, who’s kicked 29, 28 and 27 in his best seasons, missing games along the way. Castagna is yet to get there.

And by extension that means they get far more attention from opposition defenders and draw additional players to contests, which allows players like Castagna to go unchecked. He gets a huge portion of his goals however by simply bolting forward into an open forwardline as soon as the ball is turned over. Lunch, Riewoldt, Caddy et al aren’t beating him in a footrace to get there.

It’s not worth speculating on the number of goals Castagna would be kicking if he could kick straight, but 35 (hypothetical) goals per season is just over 1 and a half a game and nowhere near elite for a permanent small forward.

He’s at a similar level as someone like Fasolo, who’s kicked 29, 28 and 27 in his best seasons, missing games along the way. Castagna is yet to get there.

You are joking surely !!!

Also its clear that you have not watched Castagna very often if you think he runs foward into an open foward line , Might be an idea to watch him
He gets most of his goals from either marking or tackling the player with the ball or crumbing in the foward line.

You might want to make a list of the small fowards who average over 1.5 goals a game and have a look to see if they are elite or not

You are joking surely !!!

Also its clear that you have not watched Castagna very often if you think he runs foward into an open foward line , Might be an idea to watch him
He gets most of his goals from either marking or tackling the player with the ball or crumbing in the foward line.

You might want to make a list of the small fowards who average over 1.5 goals a game and have a look to see if they are elite or not

Do you consider Gryan Miers, who kicked more goals than him, to be elite?

Do you consider Gryan Miers, who kicked more goals than him, to be elite?
Do you consider Jade Gresham or Jack Martin good players ?

You might want to have a look , Jack Martin is going to get paid $600k a year and averages just 4 touches a game more but less goals
Jade Gresham same goals but 3 touches a game more

Gryan Miers is a kid and way too early to tell what he becomes , You are seriously under selling Castagna , He is not a Champion in the Betts or Rioli mould but he is a very very dangerous player and easily worth his place in our team so i would think he gets a game ahead of most of the small fowards at carlton.

Think you should watch him more closely

Do you consider Jade Gresham or Jack Martin good players ?

You might want to have a look , Jack Martin is going to get paid $600k a year and averages just 4 touches a game more but less goals
Jade Gresham same goals but 3 touches a game more

Gryan Miers is a kid and way too early to tell what he becomes , You are seriously under selling Castagna , He is not a Champion in the Betts or Rioli mould but he is a very very dangerous player and easily worth his place in our team so i would think he gets a game ahead of most of the small fowards at carlton.

Think you should watch him more closely

I consider both Jade Gresham and Jack Martin to be very good players, with lots of natural skill and game-turning ability. Gresham spends most of his time up forward, while at Gold Coast Martin played predominantly as a midfielder. We can reopen the discussion as to who is the better forward next year, as Carlton are looking at playing Martin closer to goal.

The point I’m making with Miers is he is a player who has produced a similar number of goals despite being virtually a first year player. Gary Rohan has kicked 25 from 19. There’s nothing inherently special about Castagna from a statistical point of view.

Although it’d be advantageous to field a team of stars it’s not possible under the constraint of a salary cap, which is why teams are tiered and all squads - even the best - contain foot soldiers like Castagna. Simply being part of a best 22 (which is almost half the list [or more, factoring in injuries]) really is not that impressive.

Last edited:
Yet SOS gave up a pick in the 20s for a plodder in Kennedy. The future apparently.
If Kennedy’s a plodder...the same mid/fwd who averaged the same goals as Castagna last year...what does that make Castagna?
Considering Castagna spends his whole time in the forward line, Kennedy doesn’t and he was out for a number of games through injury. So he never got a real good run on in 2019...unlike Castagna.
Then clearly Castagna is even more of a plodder according to your view on players.
Interesting...and some what hilarious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I consider both Jade Gresham and Jack Martin to be very good players, with lots of natural skill and game-turning ability. Gresham spends most of his time up forward, while at Gold Coast Martin played predominantly as a midfielder. We can reopen the discussion as to who is the better forward next year, as Carlton are looking at playing Martin closer to goal.

The point I’m making with Miers is he is a player who has produced a similar number of goals despite being virtually a first year player. Gary Rohan has kicked 25 from 19. There’s nothing inherently special about Castagna from a statistical point of view.

Although it’d be advantageous to field a team of stars it’s not possible under the constraint of a salary cap, which is why teams are tiered and all squads - even the best - contain foot soldiers like Castagna. Simply being part of a best 22 (which is almost half the list [or more, factoring in injuries]) really is not that impressive.

Actually Gresham played considerably more midfield time this year, hence why his goal output dropped but possessions increased.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Actually Gresham played considerably more midfield time this year, hence why his goal output dropped but possessions increased.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thats what i also thought until i looked at his stats and possessions and was surprised with how little he got the ball so thought maybe it might have only been in the matches i watched he was more mid

Isn't he going to play half forward?
Maybe, I can't say I've kept up with the off-season training threads on the Carlton board so I don't really know where he's been training.

However when he played with the Suns the majority of his time was spent in midfield/wing or in defence, he didn't play forward as much as has been claimed in the media.

He confirmed in his original press conference the club wanted to play a forward role, and he’s been training with the forwards so I suspect he will spend most of his time in attack.

No doubt he will have periods of time in the midfield, but we’re developing a half dozen outside midfielders and I suspect it will just be cameos off a wing.

You on the selection panel now? My guess he will play midfield-forward.
:rolleyes:

Midfield-forward aka half forward?

Just about every carlton 'best 22' team Ive seen has him lining up on HFF with a couple mid/wing and a couple forward pocket.

Why is (nearly) all Carltons fans first reaction to go ultra defensive once and opposition fan gives an opinion or asks a question about their team?

He confirmed in his original press conference the club wanted to play a forward role, and he’s been training with the forwards so I suspect he will spend most of his time in attack.

No doubt he will have periods of time in the midfield, but we’re developing a half dozen outside midfielders and I suspect it will just be cameos off a wing.
Sounds awful like Castagna

:rolleyes:

Midfield-forward aka half forward?

Just about every carlton 'best 22' team Ive seen has him lining up on HFF with a couple mid/wing and a couple forward pocket.

Why is (nearly) all Carltons fans first reaction to go ultra defensive once and opposition fan gives an opinion or asks a question about their team?
Bit of a difference being a forward full time to being a forward who also goes through the midfield. In answer to your question is i've read most of your posts about Carlton and don't agree with most of them, you have the right to an opinion so if the kitchen gets to hot stay out of it.

Bit of a difference being a forward full time to being a forward who also goes through the midfield. In answer to your question is i've read most of your posts about Carlton and don't agree with most of them, you have the right to an opinion so if the kitchen gets to hot stay out of it.
You've read all 4 or 5 of them across a whopping 2 threads!?

I never said he'd be a full time forward. You have to be able to rotate through the midfield to play half forward these days but I think you know that.

I think you're the kind of poster that will disagree with anything that doesn't smell of roses about your own club.

You've read all 4 or 5 of them across a whopping 2 threads!?

I never said he'd be a full time forward. You have to be able to rotate through the midfield to play half forward these days but I think you know that.

I think you're the kind of poster that will disagree with anything that doesn't smell of roses about your own club.
Not really mate, read a lot on here in the last five years, so what i'm trying to say is if you are going to give a negative comment about an opposition player or club, don't get insulted when you get one back. Also if you think you've only made 4 or 5 posts over a couple of threads, i'd count again if i was you.

Not really mate, read a lot on here in the last five years, so what i'm trying to say is if you are going to give a negative comment about an opposition player or club, don't get insulted when you get one back. Also if you think you've only made 4 or 5 posts over a couple of threads, i'd count again if i was you.
What negative comments have I made about Carlton players or the club? That I don't think they'll finish above 10th?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back