Has Jack Martin finally arrived ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. Bottom two and 6-7 wins.
If they finish bottom 2 again, please pack up the club and just fold. At some stage this club has to show something! I'm a Melbourne supporter and even I've been making Carlton the butt of most jokes for too long now that I'm starting to feel sorry for my Carlton supporting mates. I'm predicting they have 10 wins and finish between that 10-14 range, but also wouldn't be surprised to see them just make the 8. They showed enough in the back half of last season to suggest they will be moving on up. They should be aiming for the 8 but I think they will ultimately miss by a couple of games. Cripps has some support now and with so many high draft picks on their list across every line there is no excuses anymore.

Carlton showed some good signs. Cripps isn't the player a lot of fans thought he would be, but between Docherty, Walsh, Martin and Weitering- there is plenty to look forward to :thumbsu:

Based off what? Playing injured most of this year?

Carlton showed some good signs. Cripps isn't the player a lot of fans thought he would be, but between Docherty, Walsh, Martin and Weitering- there is plenty to look forward to :thumbsu:

Thought Setterfield was good, Gibbons showed a bit, McKay can play (when he wants too), . I mean there's plenty of gaps but doesn't seem as bleak as a couple of years go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they finish bottom 2 again, please pack up the club and just fold. At some stage this club has to show something! I'm a Melbourne supporter and even I've been making Carlton the butt of most jokes for too long now that I'm starting to feel sorry for my Carlton supporting mates. I'm predicting they have 10 wins and finish between that 10-14 range, but also wouldn't be surprised to see them just make the 8. They showed enough in the back half of last season to suggest they will be moving on up. They should be aiming for the 8 but I think they will ultimately miss by a couple of games. Cripps has some support now and with so many high draft picks on their list across every line there is no excuses anymore.
pretty much nailed that

Carlton will be making a proper hit at finals by 2022. Thatโ€™s when a lot of their young brigade will be fully matured, and their older brigade will still be in their prime.

Murphy, Betts, Casaboult, Curnow and Jones wonโ€™t be in their prime in 2022. Not all of the above are crucial parts of their side, but at the moment at least their coach still views them all as best 22.

COVID saved Carlton half a million for Martin's 12 goals after McGovern got $700K to attend the fat farm. Now they're reputedly into Williams who is shopping himself around for $800K.

The word is out, Carlton is the AFL equivalent of the public service. They need to stop paying big money to "best available" and start filling needs if they're serious about improving. They have plenty of half backs already.

Murphy, Betts, Casaboult, Curnow and Jones wonโ€™t be in their prime in 2022. Not all of the above are crucial parts of their side, but at the moment at least their coach still views them all as best 22.
Betts and Murphy should be retired by 2022, imo.

Clarifying what I mean, their list profile will be in a much better place.

E.g.
Age in brackets for 2022:

B: L Plowman (28) - L Jones (31) - M McGovern (27)
HB: S Docherty (28) - J Weitering (24) - S Petrevski-Seton (24)
C: T Williamson (23) - W Setterfield (24) - S Walsh (22)
HF: J Martin (27) - L Casboult (32) - M Gibbons (27)
F: T De Koning (23) - H McKay (24) - C Curnow (25)
FOLL: M Pittonett (26) - P Cripps (27) - M Kennedy (25)
IC: J Newnes (29) - E Curnow (32) - Z Fisher (24) - D Cuningham (25)

Just looks like a good group of ages, whether or not it comes off I donโ€™t know (injuries, player movement) - but that should be Carltonโ€™s peak.

suspect a lot of untapped potential lurking in this guy - could be a Shane Edwards style golden era in his last 100-150 games

If there was an early market for Norm Smith medallists I'd put $50 on Jack Martin right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back