Has Jack Martin finally arrived ?

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Watched this kid play on the weekend and he was pretty dame exciting, elusive, skilful, damaging,
had 30 possessions 12 marks, think he is finally starting to deliver on all that talent he has, at this stage stats are pretty impressive.
Playing in the backline, up forward as a marking target, even spends time around the midfield.
Avergeing 21 possessions 6 contested @84% 7 marks 1 contested, also kicked 6 goals
Think this definitely could be he's break out year.

Last edited:

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Saw little bits last year but seems to be putting it together more consistently this season, a beauty to watch

Seems to regularly make his own space in congested situations and kick some bloody good goals. As a Suns supporter it looks to me like it is his year

Donkey Chop

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Watched this kid play on the weekend and he was pretty dame exciting, elusive, skilful, damaging, think he is finally starting to deliver on all that talent he has, stats at this stage are also impressive.
Playing in the backline, up forward as a marking target, even spends time around the midfield.
Avergeing 21 possessions 6 contested @84% 7 marks 1 contested, also kicked 6 goals

Love watching him play. Gun

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Saw little bits last year but seems to be putting it together more consistently this season, a beauty to watch

Seems to regularly make his own space in congested situations and kick some bloody good goals. As a Suns supporter it looks to me like it is his year

He was super impressive on the weekend, such a smooth moving player, needs to keep this form going.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Watched this kid play on the weekend and he was pretty dame exciting, elusive, skilful, damaging,
had 30 possessions 12 marks, think he is finally starting to deliver on all that talent he has, at this stage stats are pretty impressive.
Starting to look like he could be the pick of the bunch when it comes to the mini draft picks (O'Meara, Hogan and Crouch). Malcolm Blight said he was the best junior he's ever seen and I guess it's finally starting to show why Blighty had massive wraps on him.

He really doesn't have a lot of weaknesses and seems to be the kind of player that can single handedly win a game off his own boot ala Ablett Jr.

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Starting to look like he could be the pick of the bunch when it comes to the mini draft picks (O'Meara, Hogan and Crouch). Malcolm Blight said he was the best junior he's ever seen and I guess it's finally starting to show why Blighty had massive wraps on him.

He really doesn't have a lot of weaknesses and seems to be the kind of player that can single handedly win a game off his own boot ala Ablett Jr.

It that combo of elite ball use, speed, evasiveness and his over head marking, it just makes him so dangerous and a really tough match up.

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong

Seriously? We're docking Hogan because he smoked a cigarette and got suspended? I'd take him over all the rest combined. I'd say Martin's weakness is toothpicks for limbs and injury history that's likely been a result of his lack of size.

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
Hogans a great young player. Jack is also a great young player. If you've seen much of him, you should be able to recognise there's nothing controversial over someone preferring Martin

Great player? He's had two good games. I recognize he's sublimely skilled but it's been unrealized potential so far and there's definitely an element of downhill skier. He'll rack up 25 possessions and look great against bottom 4 but hide out on the wing and get 13 possies against a decent team. Has he every played well against a decent team....ever?

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Great player? He's had two good games. I recognize he's sublimely skilled but it's been unrealized potential so far and there's definitely an element of downhill skier. He'll rack up 25 possessions and look great against bottom 4 but hide out on the wing and get 13 possies against a decent team. Has he every played well against a decent team....ever?
Nothing wrong with 13 disposals when it goes with 3 goals in a 102 point loss

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The thing this thread (and the minor number of bitterly insecure mouthbreathers tossing off in it) are forgetting is that he's already played plenty of quality football. Going to the next level now and will be one hell of a footballer. Pleasure to watch.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
There's a reason why he was rated ahead of Hogan as a junior, so much raw talent. He was always going to take a couple of years to develop his body but he has the potential to be a great player.

I think he'll end up being the best of the mini-draft picks

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
He's been developed mostly in defense thus far with patches up forward. This is probably the first season he's spent significant time up forward and in the midfield and now people are starting to notice what a quality player he is. He can play anywhere on the ground and is a lot harder at the ball than his body size suggests he would be.

Back