Has Jack Martin finally arrived ?

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I think his inability to show base-level composure in the grand final landslide sums him up entirely.

He’s done well to find himself in a role that suits his limited skillset, and the Tigers game plan and emphasis on frenetic front-half pressure further accomodates him, but he’s a low-ceiling role player who is completely replaceable.
He's not called the Chaos King for nothing.

Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
Betts will be great for some out the back goals and the odd highlight next year. Will no doubt bring joy to Carlton supporters.

But his defensive pressure is zero these days and these same supporters will ignore the goals scored against them from his opponent running off him out of defence.

That said I love watching him play and look forward to seeing him in the flag unfurling game.
In 2019 Eddie averaged more tackles inside 50 than Castagna despite the frenetic game plan of Richmond. More clearances despite above stating eddies lack of opportunities to play on ball. More contested possessions despite stating above he is less than Castagna. And nearly twice as many goals on average. But of course he’s heading backwards. I expect Eddie to play an improved role for Carlton in 2020 for a few reasons. More games at the MCG in front of his favourite crowd. Fitter due to Andrew Russell’s influence of every player he has had under him. Improved mental state getting finally away from SA and the infamous preseason camp. And a young and exciting forward setup ran by his favourite coach in David Teague who created the Adelaide set up of 2016-17. AA contention for Eddie is my opinion. Come at me.
Btw Castagna wouldn’t get a game at Carlton if he was training at Carlton instead of Richmond. Looks great in a Richmond game plan which protects his weaknesses. There are a few at Richmond imho that are plodders that just apply pressure and the elite group help look better than they are. This will not continue for much longer.

Dec 31, 2012
Adelaide, SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Seattle Kraken, Seattle Sounders
The only thing Castagna misses from his game is the end polish. He cleaned that up he would be elite as he is every where else.
He had 6 shots at goal in the Grand Final made GWS look slow and ordinary. He kicks 4 or 5 of them shots which he should have he nearly wins Norm Smith.
Eddie is lucky to have 6 shots at goal a game these days. But we know he’d nail 4 or 5 if he did.
Castagna has him covered everywhere else easily these days.

If John Butcher had kicked 4-5 of every 6 shots he wouldn't have been a potato, what's your point?

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
In 2019 Eddie averaged more tackles inside 50 than Castagna despite the frenetic game plan of Richmond. More clearances despite above stating eddies lack of opportunities to play on ball. More contested possessions despite stating above he is less than Castagna. And nearly twice as many goals on average. But of course he’s heading backwards. I expect Eddie to play an improved role for Carlton in 2020 for a few reasons. More games at the MCG in front of his favourite crowd. Fitter due to Andrew Russell’s influence of every player he has had under him. Improved mental state getting finally away from SA and the infamous preseason camp. And a young and exciting forward setup ran by his favourite coach in David Teague who created the Adelaide set up of 2016-17. AA contention for Eddie is my opinion. Come at me.
Btw Castagna wouldn’t get a game at Carlton if he was training at Carlton instead of Richmond. Looks great in a Richmond game plan which protects his weaknesses. There are a few at Richmond imho that are plodders that just apply pressure and the elite group help look better than they are. This will not continue for much longer.

Facts are Castagna had more tackles per game than Eddie did and more one percenters. Not surprising as Eddie only has one trick. Not a bad trick though.

I’m not sure why we are even debating whose better out of these two honestly. Castagnas a 18-24 player in a premiership side (whose happened to win 2 premiership medals). The other is a champion player whose doing the John Farnham farewell tour. Hopefully we see some classics from him in 2020. Neither player should be someone club supporters would be looking at for success. But I love the romanticism of Eddie coming home. Carlton have been s**t for a long time, and supporters need something to smile about. Eddie brings that, I get it. Bring on the flag unfurling game.

Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
Facts are Castagna had more tackles per game than Eddie did and more one percenters. Not surprising as Eddie only has one trick. Not a bad trick though.

I’m not sure why we are even debating whose better out of these two honestly. Castagnas a 18-24 player in a premiership side (whose happened to win 2 premiership medals). The other is a champion player whose doing the John Farnham farewell tour. Hopefully we see some classics from him in 2020. Neither player should be someone club supporters would be looking at for success. But I love the romanticism of Eddie coming home. Carlton have been s**t for a long time, and supporters need something to smile about. Eddie brings that, I get it. Bring on the flag unfurling game.
We are happy about Eddie but our smiles are much bigger than that. We are finally seeing the side that’s gonna cause damage to this competition. I know I know it’s been said before. But it’s different this time I promise. ;);)

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
It’s an interest comparison.

One has been compromised by age, the other by a lack of talent. Both aren’t getting any better.

Betts is a multiple AA and has claims on being the GOAT small forward, while Castagna has a couple of premiership medals.

I’d take Betts in 2020 and I see Castagna going the way of Butler and being expendable by the end of the year as other Tiger players overtake him, but he has certainly made the most of his AFL opportunity.

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s an interest comparison.

One has been compromised by age, the other by a lack of talent. Both aren’t getting any better.

Betts is a multiple AA and has claims on being the GOAT small forward, while Castagna has a couple of premiership medals.

I’d take Betts in 2020 and I see Castagna going the way of Butler and being expendable by the end of the year as other Tiger players overtake him, but he has certainly made the most of his AFL opportunity.

top 10 in the B and F in a Premiership year to being expendable??

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
top 10 in the B and F in a Premiership year to being expendable??

No idea why supporters place so much importance on BnF finishes. Especially 10th place! No Carlton supporter considers Lachie Plowman one of our better player despite him finishing Third last year.

It’s hot hard to jag a top 10 place with lots of injuries to other players throughout the year, and the BnF is doctored more than the Brownlow.

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
No idea why supporters place so much importance on BnF finishes. Especially 10th place! No Carlton supporter considers Lachie Plowman one of our better player despite him finishing Third last year.

It’s hot hard to jag a top 10 place with lots of injuries to other players throughout the year, and the BnF is doctored more than the Brownlow.

Plowman top 10 at a club that finished near the bottom.
you missed the point of it being a “premiership year”. Even if it is doctored as you say. You don’t go from top 10 to the scrap heap.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
you missed the point of it being a “premiership year”. Even if it is doctored as you say. You don’t go from top 10 to the scrap heap.

Of course you can.

Richmond’s quality significantly drops off after the first 5-8 players which creates a situation which enables a foot soldier like Castagna to get a top 10 place, also factoring in injuries to other players and coaches over-emphasising particular games and inflating player votes.

Dusty0004

Cancelled
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Of course you can.

Richmond’s quality significantly drops off after the first 5-8 players which creates a situation which enables a foot soldier like Castagna to get a top 10 place, also factoring in injuries to other players and coaches over-emphasising particular games and inflating player votes.

2 flags in 3 years a minor premiership and Richmond drops off after 5 players??!

thanks I needed a laugh today.

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Of course you can.

Insert billy madison quote ...may god have mercy upon your soul

Back