Has Jordan De Goey announced himself?

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Sep 14, 2005
Endeavour Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
He played his best game of AFL footy this afternoon primarily as a midfielder and finished up with 32 possessions at 84% DE, 9 score involvements, 2 goal assists and 7 clearances.

Has averaged 20 possessions and 1 goal a game so far in 2017.

20 years of age, and coming up to his 50th game of AFL footy, what sort of ceiling do you see with the 5th overall pick of the 2014 draft?

greekstyler

Debutant
Aug 16, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
He played his best game of AFL footy this afternoon primarily as a midfielder and finished up with 32 possessions at 84% DE, 9 score involvements, 2 goal assists and 7 clearances.

20 years of age, and coming up to his 50th game of AFL footy, what sort of ceiling do you see with the 5th overall pick of the 2014 draft?
I'd put my house on him not being tagged next week...Essendon doesn't believe in tagging...

threesixpio

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

He was great. Crazy to have him off towards the end though

Scotland

TheBrownDog
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Playing great footy.

Collingwood have a high number of players who appear to be playing well for a team that isn't very good.

SSSSSS

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Ran out of gas in the last quarter when the game was to be won. Only the four touches. His first three quarters showed glimpses of being an elite player. Powerful and can actually kick the ball (unlike some of his higher profile teammates).

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

*21 years of age

Damon_3388

Premium Platinum
Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I wasn't the biggest fan of selecting De Goey where we did (thought this was the pick we should use on Darcy Moore, and use the next one on Nakia Cockatoo), and have felt like he's looked a bit iffy at times over the last couple of years, but he looks like a star when he plays in the middle lately. Still has work to do on his fitness (does tend to float in and out of games because of this), but at times, he looks and plays a lot like a young Nathan Buckley - balanced, composed, strong, direct, skillful, able to win the contested ball cleanly and break clear and dispose neatly.

For perspective on that comparison, at the same age (by mid-October 1993), Buckley had just completed his first AFL season, and was on his way to Collingwood. He had a lot of learning and growth left at that stage, and so does De Goey now too.

A star in the making I reckon.

craffles

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
I wasn't the biggest fan of selecting De Goey where we did (thought this was the pick we should use on Darcy Moore, and use the next one on Nakia Cockatoo), and have felt like he's looked a bit iffy at times over the last couple of years, but he looks like a star when he plays in the middle lately. Still has work to do on his fitness (does tend to float in and out of games because of this), but at times, he looks and plays a lot like a young Nathan Buckley - balanced, composed, strong, direct, skillful, able to win the contested ball cleanly and break clear and dispose neatly.

For perspective on that comparison, at the same age (by mid-October 1993), Buckley had just completed his first AFL season, and was on his way to Collingwood. He had a lot of learning and growth left at that stage, and so does De Goey now too.

A star in the making I reckon.
De Goey has all the tools to become a massive FIGJAM like bucks too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HairyO

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I honestly only noticed him a few times. But there were a lot of passengers in that game.

Treloar being the worst of them.

Pie in the Sky

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just needs to stay in the middle and he'll be a very good player. Possibly still needs to work on his tank, faded a bit in the last quarter and unfortunately none of the senior players stepped up at all.

Remove this Banner Ad