Has Jordan De Goey announced himself?

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
He played his best game of AFL footy this afternoon primarily as a midfielder and finished up with 32 possessions at 84% DE, 9 score involvements, 2 goal assists and 7 clearances.

Has averaged 20 possessions and 1 goal a game so far in 2017.

20 years of age, and coming up to his 50th game of AFL footy, what sort of ceiling do you see with the 5th overall pick of the 2014 draft?

He played his best game of AFL footy this afternoon primarily as a midfielder and finished up with 32 possessions at 84% DE, 9 score involvements, 2 goal assists and 7 clearances.

20 years of age, and coming up to his 50th game of AFL footy, what sort of ceiling do you see with the 5th overall pick of the 2014 draft?

I'd put my house on him not being tagged next week...Essendon doesn't believe in tagging...

He was great. Crazy to have him off towards the end though

Ran out of gas in the last quarter when the game was to be won. Only the four touches. His first three quarters showed glimpses of being an elite player. Powerful and can actually kick the ball (unlike some of his higher profile teammates).

*21 years of age

I wasn't the biggest fan of selecting De Goey where we did (thought this was the pick we should use on Darcy Moore, and use the next one on Nakia Cockatoo), and have felt like he's looked a bit iffy at times over the last couple of years, but he looks like a star when he plays in the middle lately. Still has work to do on his fitness (does tend to float in and out of games because of this), but at times, he looks and plays a lot like a young Nathan Buckley - balanced, composed, strong, direct, skillful, able to win the contested ball cleanly and break clear and dispose neatly.

For perspective on that comparison, at the same age (by mid-October 1993), Buckley had just completed his first AFL season, and was on his way to Collingwood. He had a lot of learning and growth left at that stage, and so does De Goey now too.

A star in the making I reckon.

I wasn't the biggest fan of selecting De Goey where we did (thought this was the pick we should use on Darcy Moore, and use the next one on Nakia Cockatoo), and have felt like he's looked a bit iffy at times over the last couple of years, but he looks like a star when he plays in the middle lately. Still has work to do on his fitness (does tend to float in and out of games because of this), but at times, he looks and plays a lot like a young Nathan Buckley - balanced, composed, strong, direct, skillful, able to win the contested ball cleanly and break clear and dispose neatly.

For perspective on that comparison, at the same age (by mid-October 1993), Buckley had just completed his first AFL season, and was on his way to Collingwood. He had a lot of learning and growth left at that stage, and so does De Goey now too.

A star in the making I reckon.

De Goey has all the tools to become a massive FIGJAM like bucks too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just needs to stay in the middle and he'll be a very good player. Possibly still needs to work on his tank, faded a bit in the last quarter and unfortunately none of the senior players stepped up at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back