Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never seen a coach last this long in a job not having won a flag and/or make a GF appearance, but somehow being extended again.

I can understand Port supporters losing their minds over it.

Hinkley's finals record from 2015 onwards is 2 wins, 5 losses. Over the 2013-14 period it was 3 wins, 2 losses.
He's actually a record setter. Every coach with more games than him (at one club) has made at least 1 Grand Final.

713 - Jock McHale (16 gf 7 prem)
634 - Kevin Sheedy (7 gf 4 prem)
415 - Dick Reynolds (12 gf 4 prem)
390 - Alistair Clarkson (5 gf 4 prem)
355 - David Parkin (5 gf 3 prem)
333 - Allan Jeans (3 gf 1 prem)
310 - Norm Smith (8 gf 6 prem)
307 - Damien Hardwick (3 gf 3 prem)
305 - Chris Scott (3 gf 2 prem)
304 - Reg Hickey (4 gf 3 prem)
302 - John Longmire (4 gf 1 prem)
299 - John Kennedy (5 gf 3 prem)
286 - Collingwood Malthouse (5 gf 1 prem)
281 - Perce Bentley (3 gf 2 prem)
281 - John Worsfold (2 gf 1 prem)
273 - Mark Williams (2 gf 1 prem)
272 - Phonse Kyne (6 gf 2 prem)
260 - Mark Thompson (3 gf 2 prem)
258 - Frank Hughes (6 gf 4 prem)
248 - Tom Hafey (5 gf 4 prem)
248 - Ken Hinkley (0 gf)
243 - Eagles Malthouse (3 gf 2 prem)

110 grand finals
60 premierships

Last edited:

Cats supporters were calling for Chris Scott's head up until last year.
  • only won 2011 because of Bombers list
  • squandering a decade of top 4 appearances
  • can't get the job done in finals etc etc
They got the flag then have dropped off.
Maybe things will click next year.. who knows! If they get the 2024 flag Hinkley will prob retire after that.
Not a fair comparison. Even after the 2021 PF you wouldn't have got more than 50% of fans wanting Scott out.
We're at a point I think where 98% or more of Port fans want Ken gone.

He's actually a record setter. Every coach with more games than him as made at least 1 Grand Final.

713 - Jock McHale (16 gf 7 prem)
634 - Kevin Sheedy (7 gf 4 prem)
415 - Dick Reynolds (12 gf 4 prem)
390 - Alistair Clarkson (5 gf 4 prem)
355 - David Parkin (5 gf 3 prem)
333 - Allan Jeans (3 gf 1 prem)
310 - Norm Smith (8 gf 6 prem)
307 - Damien Hardwick (3 gf 3 prem)
305 - Chris Scott (3 gf 2 prem)
304 - Reg Hickey (4 gf 3 prem)
302 - John Longmire (4 gf 1 prem)
299 - John Kennedy (5 gf 3 prem)
286 - Collingwood Malthouse (5 gf 1 prem)
281 - Perce Bentley (3 gf 2 prem)
281 - John Worsfold (2 gf 1 prem)
273 - Mark Williams (2 gf 1 prem)
272 - Phonse Kyne (6 gf 2 prem)
260 - Mark Thompson (3 gf 2 prem)
258 - Frank Hughes (6 gf 4 prem)
248 - Tom Hafey (5 gf 4 prem)
248 - Ken Hinkley (0 gf)
243 - Eagles Malthouse (3 gf 2 prem)

110 grand finals
60 premierships

Do you have a list of all coaches with over 200 games? Because if all of them have won a flag too, then that's a pretty damning indictment on Ken Hinkley.

He will get to 270+ before having a chance at correcting that record.

Do you have a list of all coaches with over 200 games? Because if all of them have won a flag too, then that's a pretty damning indictment on Ken Hinkley.

He will get to 270+ before having a chance at correcting that record.
Found that list on reddit the day he re-signed and trying to follow it on afl.tables is a little convoluted as this person has broken careers up by club as well.

So uncluttering it with clubs there are 5 coaches with more games than Ken without success. All have coached multiple clubs making Ken the longest at 1 club without success. The five are Eade, Lyon, Northey, Stephen and Bob Rose.

Ken appears to sit just above the list of coaches where the herd starts to thin. 12 of the 28 next below him have premierships.

Tredrea is the Nostradamus for Ken Apologism.

"Sure, there was pressure early from Gerard, from Caro, from Kane Cornes. They are all people that are close to Ken. There’s a relationship there. And I get it. Everyone has people they support in the AFL system and friendships and all that."
- Warren Tredrea

"That is the behavior of the Carlton fans. That is ridiculous ... David King - he must have a set against him (Ken)."
- Caro

"For me, it's a whole of club approach. For me, it's too short-sighted to focus on the senior coach."
- Cornes

Also, I noticed that Kane and Graham Cornes BOTH blamed Josh Carr.

Amazing.

It's everyone else's fault but Ken.

Tredrea is the Nostradamus for Ken Apologism.

"Sure, there was pressure early from Gerard, from Caro, from Kane Cornes. They are all people that are close to Ken. There’s a relationship there. And I get it. Everyone has people they support in the AFL system and friendships and all that."
- Warren Tredrea

"That is the behavior of the Carlton fans. That is ridiculous ... David King - he must have a set against him (Ken)."
- Caro

"For me, it's a whole of club approach. For me, it's too short-sighted to focus on the senior coach."
- Cornes

Also, I noticed that Kane and Graham Cornes BOTH blamed Josh Carr.

Amazing.

It's everyone else's fault but Ken.

Schofield was blamed too… people forget he vanished.

Found that list on reddit the day he re-signed and trying to follow it on afl.tables is a little convoluted as this person has broken careers up by club as well.

So uncluttering it with clubs there are 5 coaches with more games than Ken without success. All have coached multiple clubs making Ken the longest at 1 club without success. The five are Eade, Lyon, Northey, Stephen and Bob Rose.

Ken appears to sit just above the list of coaches where the herd starts to thin. 12 of the 28 next below him have premierships.

Lol I put together that stat from AFL tables, good to see it getting around the place. It did take a bit of a time because a lot of very experienced coaches had stints at different clubs.

Ken is pretty unique. Brad Scott is not far off, but he's in his second job now.

I think it's a different situation when it's someone who has been at the one club the entire time.

The main intention was to highlight that Ken's tenure is completely unprecedented in the history of the game, in terms of sticking with one bloke who hasn't even made a granny, much less win a flag. And those numbers are BEFORE an extra 2 years were tacked on.

Generally speaking to get 10 yrs plus you need to be a very successful coach. I'm not sure making finals 6/11 times and 2 finals wins in 9 years cuts it. 🤔

Last edited:
Just a reminder how Kane Cornes' own messaging has shifted.

How can you blame the supporters for expecting results when the administration - and its apologists - have established expectations only to minimise its own failures, shift blame away from the coach and discredit those who want Hinkley to be accountable?

"Next year will be his tenth year, which we have spoken about all year. I just find it hard to believe for him to go beyond next year, because it's going to have to be a Grand Final appearance or he will probably lose his job."
- 2021 after the preliminary final capitulation

"They're your own benchmarks. The only option you have is to move on from the coach."
- 2022 in reference to the 3 GF plan

"I want to say to the Port supporters who are complaining about this, stop sooking about the coach. It was the only logical decision to make. As if you were going to hold off on this announcement and potentially disrupt the finals campaign."
- 2023 after the club re-signed Hinkley in August

"It's too short-sighted to just focus on the senior coach ... they went into the season with only one defender above 190cm!"
- 2023 after the straight sets exit

So should the administration fall on its sword for failing to meet their own promises? Should Kinsley be fired for once again capitulating when it counts?

Or can all the club's problems be blamed on its lack of defensive talls in 2023?

Just a reminder how Kane Cornes' own messaging has shifted.

How can you blame the supporters for expecting results when the administration - and its apologists - have established expectations only to minimise its own failures, shift blame away from the coach and discredit those who want Hinkley to be accountable?

"Next year will be his tenth year, which we have spoken about all year. I just find it hard to believe for him to go beyond next year, because it's going to have to be a Grand Final appearance or he will probably lose his job."
- 2021 after the preliminary final capitulation

"They're your own benchmarks. The only option you have is to move on from the coach."
- 2022 in reference to the 3 GF plan

"I want to say to the Port supporters who are complaining about this, stop sooking about the coach. It was the only logical decision to make. As if you were going to hold off on this announcement and potentially disrupt the finals campaign."
- 2023 after the club re-signed Hinkley in August

"It's too short-sighted to just focus on the senior coach ... they went into the season with only one defender above 190cm!"
- 2023 after the straight sets exit

So should the administration fall on its sword for failing to meet their own promises? Should Kinsley be fired for once again capitulating when it counts?

Or can all the club's problems be blamed on its lack of defensive talls in 2023?
Port lack depth and have glaring holes in their side, you can't blame that on Hinkley unless you're one of those footy fans who thinks coaches are still responsible for building lists?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port lack depth and have glaring holes in their side, you can't blame that on Hinkley unless you're one of those footy fans who thinks coaches are still responsible for building lists?

So the senior coach has no say in the list managers decisions? You're absolutely clueless if you think that.

If there are glaring holes, they're Hinkley's. He came out and said he had the best list he's ever had at the start of the year.

There are no excuses left for him.

Surely you have the list you want after being at a club as long as he has, no?
It's difficult for a little battler club from Alberton.
Dunkley and Grundy big names turning down Port these last two years, both are A grade players Port desperately need.
So the senior coach has no say in the list managers decisions? You're absolutely clueless if you think that.

If there are glaring holes, they're Hinkley's. He came out and said he had the best list he's ever had at the start of the year.

There are no excuses left for him.
Kane Cornes has mentioned Port's injuries.
Not sure Hinkley can be blamed for that as injuries are due to either bad luck or player fitness/conditioning, things Hinkley has no control over.

Dunkley and Grundy big names turning down Port these last two years, both are A grade players Port desperately need.

Not sure Hinkley can be blamed for that as injuries are due to either bad luck or player fitness/conditioning, things Hinkley has no control over.

Who cares what Kane Korn says? He's got a hopeless conflict of interest with his brother in a job because of Stinkley.

Port pulled the offer for Grundy (maybe because of their other targets)

Longest serving coaches:

John Longmire (Syd) = 1 Flag, 4 GFs
Chris Scott (Geel) = 2 Flags, 3 GFs
Ken Hinkley (PA) = 0 Flags, 0 GFs
Adam Simpson (WC) = 1 Flag, 2 GFs
Luke Beveridge (WB) = 1 Flag, 2 GFs
Simon Goodwin (Melb) = 1 Flag, 1 GFs
Chris Fagan (Bris) = 0 Flags, 1 GFs**

** Still to be played

Port fans have every right to feel aggrieved.

Ports problem is that they trusted Hinkley with the “almost there need one last missing piece“ recruiting drive too many times.

And it’s happening again now. Sweet, Ratagolea and ZerkThatcher. Seriously.

Lol I put together that stat from AFL tables, good to see it getting around the place. It did take a bit of a time because a lot of very experienced coaches had stints at different clubs.

Ken is pretty unique. Brad Scott is not far off, but he's in his second job now.

I think it's a different situation when it's someone who has been at the one club the entire time.

The main intention was to highlight that Ken's tenure is completely unprecedented in the history of the game, in terms of sticking with one bloke who hasn't even made a granny, much less win a flag. And those numbers are BEFORE an extra 2 years were tacked on.

Generally speaking to get 10 yrs plus you need to be a very successful coach. I'm not sure making finals 6/11 times and 2 finals wins in 9 years cuts it. 🤔
Yeah, he and BScott (203 at North) are in rare air. A quick look at AFL tables tells me the next longest unbroken stints at one club without a GF appearance are
Bill Stephen - 168
Neil Craig - 157
Wallace (Dogs) - 141
Laidley- 141
Despite the JHF thing, I feel sorry for you mob. Hope he stinks it up early next year and gets the arse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back