Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

No not really. Cop the crap when you deserve it and take the plaudits if deserved Not rocket science.

This wasn't about whether today was a good win. My comment was more than today didn't really change my overall view of Hinkley and this isn't one that is going to swing opinions one way or another when it's decided by one kick late.

There have been plenty of chances to bump this thread this year that have been more impressive than today.

This wasn't about whether today was a good win. My comment was more than today didn't really change my overall view of Hinkley and this isn't one that is going to swing opinions one way or another when it's decided by one kick late.

There have been plenty of chances to bump this thread this year that have been more impressive than today.
No probs

Nah' it would allow us to actually win a few more finals I mean what's Hinkley finals record as it stands right now in comparison to Scott?

In the last 5 seasons with a mature list, Hinkley has made the finals 1 time, and lost a home elimination final.

You don't want him mate. I'd take your swap offer in a second.

Ehh. There is a lot of Hinkley bashers, even on the PAFC board for the last few years. I myself have questioned him at times too.

When Ken took over, our team was shite, and the players/depth were pretty average too. We were lucky to make finals, and with a Run and gun game plan almost fluked getting through to the GF one year (THe Western Bulldogs/Bevo followed this way of play, did it better, and actually managed to win one). Anyway, Ken/KT managed to get the players/club believing, turned the club around, which is a good thing, there were some dark days there.

Our turnaround this year, is more about list management, not just Ken. Port decided it was rebuild time a few years back, and they chose a non bottoming out method -they had too for $$ club survival. The club backed Ken to see it through. Being mediocre (while rebuilding) was always going to get the Port faithful up and about - Ken is the easy target. Ken has also changed the game plan probably 3/4 times since he has been in, adapting to new rules, and players on the list. The current game plan is about 18 months in, and is working atm. This is brave in some ways.

Port is still building up the list now, it's the first time we have had two legitimate tall forwards (Westy doesn't count) on the park, but we still have holes in our list - lack an elite midfielder, and an elite tall defender - but at least our systems are working.

So, I don't think Ken has been 'found out' and probably deserves a few more years, with a decent list, to see what he can do. I think stability has been very important for the Club, and also in player recruitment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think stability has been very important for the Club, and also in player recruitment
Hugely underrated part

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt atm.

He atleast didn't sink the club with him like most, he always looked at the bigger picture.

I hate to say it, but the Power this year remind me of us in 2017, and it starts from the coach down.

Hinkley, like Hardwick before him, seems to finally have the right men around him in the box.

Port had a great start under Hinkley for a couple 13/14, which bought him time to turn the list over without bottoming out (simply couldn't afford it $$$ wise)

The draft team have done a great job in the last 4 years as well.
2016 Marshall PowellPepper Ladhams (Dixon in 2015 with a 2016 future traded pick)
2017 Farrell (Rockliff Motlop Watts trades)
2018 Rozee Butters Duursma (Lycett Mayes trades)
2019 Georgiadis (Bergman Williams Mead F/S yet to play

There's still a core of 8 senior players which will move through the next 2-3 years so a way to go still, but I think he's done it pretty well all things considering.

Has to be leading candidate for coach of the year right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back