Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't come across as a tactical mastermind but you can tell the players like and respect him, overall he's done a very good job.

Done a fantastic job. I felt bad for him in the presser - SA media were trying to pick him apart but fact of the matter is they were a little bit luck here or there from playing in a Granny.
I thought he was super impressive in the presser. So calm and measured, and even after a disappointing loss able to see all the positives in the season and the future.

Hinkley did everything right to get Port to last night’s Preliminary, and had they played Geelong or the Lions they could well be playing in a Grand Final next week.

He not only did better than every other coach in the H&A season, Hinkley bettered 14 other coaches overall for season 2020. So he hardly deserves the criticism he’s received since last nights loss.

Ports connection between midfield and forwards was what lost them the game last night. Didn’t take the chances when presented to them as well. That and some very biased umpiring. :thumbsdown:

Is that Ken’s fault, not sure, but I felt his coaching has been A1 this year.

Last edited:
Ports connection between midfield and forwards was what lost them the game last night. Didn’t take the chances when presented to them as well. That and some very biased umpiring. :thumbsdown:

Is that Ken’s fault, not sure, but I felt he’s coaching has been A1 this year.
That’s Hinkley game plan, it was been for years.

“Just bomb it long”

4th longest serving coach in history without making a GF.

Don't think you could sack him right after getting to a prelim, but they need their finger on the trigger all of next season. They can't get hoodwinked into giving him an early extension again.
Absolutely can’t be given an extension without WINNING a flag.

Next year is his last chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hinkley did everything right to get Port to last night’s Preliminary, and had they played Geelong or the Lions they could well be playing in a Grand Final next week.

He not only did better than every other coach in the H&A season, Hinkley bettered 14 other coaches overall for season 2020. So he hardly deserves the criticism he’s received since last nights loss.

You cant look at one year in isolation. His best results are 2 losing prelims in 8 years. A 5 year stretch of complete mediocrity with guys like Boak and Gray in their primes.

Next year is the real test. If we aren't at least top 4 again he should be sacked.

Coming top in a slap dash season, flat track bullying your way to an "honourable loss" - classic. Out coached by people decades younger than him, but he sure can yell real good aye.

Did very well this year and a tad unlucky not to be playing in the GF. Richmond just a bit more experienced In finals and it got them over the line. Port will be amongst it next year.

bit of a left turn but its alarming the lack of coaches in the waiting ready to jump into these seats such as Hinkleys,Fagans,Shaws,Camerons maybe Goodwins next year.
Ross Lyon and Micheal Voss appearing to be the only ones willing to put theyre hand up and yet theres a job available now and if things dont go right
for GWS,Melb,Bris n Port next year ????

Modern football warrants some questions.

I am sure when I am an old man and I watch a replay of the Port vs Richmond 2020 preliminary final with my grandson, the conversation will go something like this:

"Grandpa, why are Port letting Richmond's best player, Dustin Martin, run around fairly loose without a hard tag?"

"Well son, back in the day, there was this crazy school of thought that you could let the oppositions best player run around largely unchecked and still expect to win. They called it "team defence""

"But grandpa, that seems really dumb!?"

"Yes son, yes it is"

Jesus. Some harsh judges here. Did he miss from in front. Did he coach a senior player to kick it out on the full 2 mins later from 35 directly in front. His senior players lost their composure when it mattered. That’s on them. Not him.

Clearly not. Coach of the year for the second time. Zero GFs. Zero premierships. Chris Scott should have won. Great year for Geelong showing they don’t rely on home ground advantage and can win finals. May be premiership coach for 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back