Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hickly was literally caught with hes pants down circa 2015 when teams successfully negated hes flukey 2014 "bold" game plan.

He will be exposed AGAIN next year and don't the power fans know what that "thing" looks like!

So the long and short of it is that hes too stubborn for change and an "extension" is out of the question.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hickly was literally caught with hes pants down circa 2015 when teams successfully negated hes flukey 2014 "bold" game plan.

He will be exposed AGAIN next year and don't the power fans know what that thing looks like!

So the long and short of it is that hes too stubborn for change and an extension is out of the question.

He will get an extension.

Whilst they have some talented youngsters, they list profile suggests that they will struggle. How many players over 29+? Quite a few - Boak arguably had his best year at 32 then we have Gray, Dixon, Jonas, Motlop, Hartlett, Rockliff, Lycett and Mackenzie. That is quite a list.

This season won’t be repeated again - shorter quarters, only 17 rounds, no games in Melbourne etc. The older profile lists gained an advantage from this.

Both Port and Brisbane blew a golden opportunity to snag a flag.

tigers_of_old_08

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RICHMOND
You cant look at one year in isolation. His best results are 2 losing prelims in 8 years. A 5 year stretch of complete mediocrity with guys like Boak and Gray in their primes.

Next year is the real test. If we aren't at least top 4 again he should be sacked.

I was giving credit where credit was due.

If you plot his performance on a graph the curve took an upward trajectory, so yeah I agree next year will be a challenge for him to maintain that. (and maybe go one step better).

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
He will get an extension.

Whilst they have some talented youngsters, they list profile suggests that they will struggle. How many players over 29+? Quite a few - Boak arguably had his best year at 32 then we have Gray, Dixon, Jonas, Motlop, Hartlett, Rockliff, Lycett and Mackenzie. That is quite a list.

This season won’t be repeated again - shorter quarters, only 17 rounds, no games in Melbourne etc. The older profile lists gained an advantage from this.

Both Port and Brisbane blew a golden opportunity to snag a flag.
Hes already been exposed once for hes shortfalls, and I don't think the players really need that mental picture of what that "thing" looks like again!

He can only get an "extension" if he owns up to the fact that theres something terribly wrong down "there"(Port Adelaide).

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Hardly Hinkleys fault his players aren’t mentally stable enough or have the sufficient balls to win a prelim at home.

He had them on top all year and they let him down just before the finish line.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
One goal off Richmond, very harsh on Hinkley

Six scoring shots but one goal I guess

I know how this will sound and it's not meant to take away from Ports year but a lot went right this season for Port. Not often you run out in a Prelim Final with virtually you best team and no injuries. I think the draw and when they played certain teams helped, not having to travel to Victoria and they were probably a bit lucky against Geelong. I don't think it was a choke but a huge missed opportunity.

Having said that alot of credit must go to their conditioning staff. They have built a good list and the Senior players have really worked hard off field.

In a perfect world I think he gets a one year extension which would probably be the time that there will be significant change to the list.

In the end, they probably have to give him two years and pay him out a year if 2020 was a flash in the pan. Maybe he will win a flag but it's a long time to coach without much success. Personally I think he is still Port's biggest weakness.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
I don't mind Ken his building something now just needs a few finishing touches in saying that has to go one better next year minor premier this year home finals was in the box seat.

Duckenthusiast

All Australian
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They really should give COTY to the premiership coach. Yet Clarko has won 4 flags but never COTY. I know what I would rather win...

Nah - a)they get a premiership medal so they get an award and b) the best team isn't necessarily coached by the best coach. Taking Port from getting belted by 10-15 goals every week to 3rd in 2 years makes you a gun coach, not the 3rd best one. Taking a club from outside of the 8 to minor premiers, 3rd, and losing a prelim by a kick makes you a good coach. If you take that line that the best teams have the best coaches, Brad Scott is the second best coach in the competition and that clearly isn't true. Keep in mind it is the best coach in 2020, not the best coach going around. I would have thought Ratten, Hardwick, and Hinkley would have been hard to split.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Nah - a)they get a premiership medal so they get an award and b) the best team isn't necessarily coached by the best coach. Taking Port from getting belted by 10-15 goals every week to 3rd in 2 years makes you a gun coach, not the 3rd best one. Taking a club from outside of the 8 to minor premiers, 3rd, and losing a prelim by a kick makes you a good coach. If you take that line that the best teams have the best coaches, Brad Scott is the second best coach in the competition and that clearly isn't true. Keep in mind it is the best coach in 2020, not the best coach going around. I would have thought Ratten, Hardwick, and Hinkley would have been hard to split.

The thing is though, that he took a team who was close in a pre lim to getting belted by 10-15 goals in 3 years. The first half of his tenure did happen.

Nah - a)they get a premiership medal so they get an award and b) the best team isn't necessarily coached by the best coach. Taking Port from getting belted by 10-15 goals every week to 3rd in 2 years makes you a gun coach, not the 3rd best one. Taking a club from outside of the 8 to minor premiers, 3rd, and losing a prelim by a kick makes you a good coach.

This logic doesn't make any sense. Ken was our coach for those last 5 years. He was the reason expectations were low. You don't get credit for 'exceeding expectations' when you were the one who lowered expectations in the first place.

Duckenthusiast

All Australian
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The thing is though, that he took a team who was close in a pre lim to getting belted by 10-15 goals in 3 years. The first half of his tenure did happen.

As I said, the award gets measured by this years performance. You ultimately get judged on where you were last year vs this year. Was Hardwick a rubbish coach in 2017 taking a finals side in 2015 to getting knocked out in 16 to a flag in 17?

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
How is Stevic gifting Richmond the win with arguably the worst umpiring (check neutrals comments in the Gameday thread too) in that second half Hinkley’s fault.

Was he supposed to fly back to Victoria and catch the plane with Dimma and Stevic so he could call out the ridiculous situation that they flew over together and Dimma got up mid flight to personally thank Stevic for everything he has done.

P.s - The above situation that sounds ridiculous between Dimma and the umpire pre game actually happened... which if that doesn’t tell you much after then watching the 3rd quarter of the prelim (with Stevic in particular) then the wool is over your eyes.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How is Stevic gifting Richmond the win with arguably the worst umpiring (check neutrals comments in the Gameday thread too) in that second half Hinkley’s fault.

Was he supposed to fly back to Victoria and catch the plane with Dimma and Stevic so he could call out the ridiculous situation that they flew over together and Dimma got up mid flight to personally thank Stevic for everything he has done.

P.s - The above situation that sounds ridiculous between Dimma and the umpire pre game actually happened... which if that doesn’t tell you much after then watching the 3rd quarter of the prelim (with Stevic in particular) then the wool is over your eyes.
Stevic wasn't responsible for your team playing the final 6-7 minutes as though there was only 30 seconds left on the clock

Stevic wasn't responsible for your team playing the final 6-7 minutes as though there was only 30 seconds left on the clock

I mean if he hadn't given the deliberate against Hartlett we would've been ahead rather than down, so in a way he kind of was.

Back