Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

• Yes – already

• Not yet – but he will

• No – and he won't

• Someone else is the best

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

But there is so much more to a player, why stop there, please don' tell me it's because Franklin would be seen to have Carey covered in those areas?!?

Contested marking - marks on the lead
high marking - Ball at ground level
kicking skills off both feet - precision around the ground
footy IQ - how did you measure this?
balance i.e. centre of gravity - Buddy moves like a small forward but stands 6 foot 6
leadership - you can only judge this as Buddy was never a Captain
courage - no argument here, this is why everyone needed to watch Carey play the game!
aggression - when Bud gets angry people want him suspended for being to hard
timing - I'm not sure how to view this one
and the ability to stand up in critical moments within games - like finals football, you should have a look at Buds finals record
You are good for a chuckle.

Buddy is surprisingly selfless on field.

This is not understanding of what Carey did. He wasn’t just selflessly handing off goals to those in better position, he was creating the play; the team played through him because he could win the ball out of positions few other players could and then bring his teammates into the play to create opportunities that weren’t otherwise there.

You can say the 90’s are all rose coloured glasses. I guess you could say the same about Warne and McGrath in cricket, but the truth is they were perhaps once in a lifetime bowlers. Like Carey, or Ablett Snr, if you dismiss their supreme talent on this flimsy notion, you’re leaving yourself short.

Carey, Ablett Snr, Judd at WCE; the rare players for whom I went to neutral games just so I could watch them.

Plenty of people actually went to opposition games because footy was so good to watch then.

I saw Ablett play at least 50 times in non North games.

I would have gone along to watch Locket and Dunstall in non North games around 30 times also.

It really was a golden era in the sport (and a fortunate one if you're a North fan).

Carey, Ablett, Lockett and Dunstall were all better marks and kicks than Franklin. The only thing Franklin would have on some of them is pace, but I would probably pick a young Ablett to beat him in a foot race, when they were both at their quickest..

Just one question
You are good for a chuckle.
do both of them like to rally the troops or do they like to have the troops rally around them.?

the question is that some are already driven to mind their own personalities, and then there are some that like to drive the team, coach, families, and so on.

which one of these two fantastic footballers, and that i say with knowing that it is about one game, one method and one coach, one fantasy,
are likely to receive one accolade or two...

never let a day go by without doing something positive.. ;)

But there is so much more to a player, why stop there, please don' tell me it's because Franklin would be seen to have Carey covered in those areas?!?

Contested marking - marks on the lead
high marking - Ball at ground level
kicking skills off both feet - precision around the ground
footy IQ - how did you measure this?
balance i.e. centre of gravity - Buddy moves like a small forward but stands 6 foot 6
leadership - you can only judge this as Buddy was never a Captain
courage - no argument here, this is why everyone needed to watch Carey play the game!
aggression - when Bud gets angry people want him suspended for being to hard
timing - I'm not sure how to view this one
and the ability to stand up in critical moments within games - like finals football, you should have a look at Buds finals record
Don't take this the wrong way, but you're either an only child or unhinged.

You're far too desperate.

The ability to stand up in critical moments within games - This just needs to be read!

What happened when Carey watched to see whether Franklin could step up in the third quarter?

In a seven-minute burst, Franklin exploded.

1min 56sec: Franklin gathers the ball deep in the pocket and squares it to Jack Gunston, setting up a goal.

5min 3sec: He looms at half-forward, collects the ball and kicks a long behind.

6min 8sec: He seizes on a Ben Rutten fumble, charges towards goal and, after drawing an opponent, handballs to Luke Breust in the goalsquare for a goal.

7min 39sec: He wins the hard ball and his handball to Xavier Ellis results in a Matt Suckling goal.

8min 31sec: Gets on the scoreboard with a snapped goal.

Unstoppable. Irresistible. Extraordinary. From five points down to 14 points up, Franklin changed the momentum of the game. Then he kicked the sealer late in the final term.

"Not too many players believe in themselves like that, especially after a quieter half of football," said Carey, a dual premiership great who played 23 finals.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...102550ca6?sv=1a6eda538e1fba9add7841d2b0428b7d
Carey loves Buddy. Don't you watch TV ?

The Bud IS The Best.

The guy is a freak and has made a mockery of far to many 'ELITE' players in a competition that is 99.98% professional!
No , not a chance!
Both greats , but Carey was something extremely extraordinary,, bit like Shaun Burgoyne, nothing like him on earth, his skills are better than anyone, ever, Carey was much the same.
Buddy is a super champ, Carey is THE super champ. Sorry folks. Love the Bud though.

Yes, my point is that he could beat a player of that size.

How many marks do you think Franklin would take on Jakovich?
Personally i think Franklin would be better suited to a Jakovich matchup than Carey.Would have taken plenty of marks up the field and run him around.Franklin lost plenty of duels with Lonergan though who he rated as his toughest opponent..I rate Ablett as the best forward .I cant remember anyone consistently beating him but he lacked the leadership of Carey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still see them as different players in a different time of footy, both genuine champions of the game in their own right.
I still find it bizarre that some people think a comparison is impossible because they were "different players in a different time of footy".

If someone asked you to select an all-time Bulldogs 22, would you be able to do it?

Or would you become paralysed by the challenge of comparing different players from different eras?

I still find it bizarre that some people think a comparison is impossible because they were "different players in a different time of footy".

If someone asked you to select an all-time Bulldogs 22, would you be able to do it?

Or would you become paralysed by the challenge of comparing different players from different eras?

You could also argue about whether the current “legends” of the game would still be legends if they were playing in these times. Most will view their assessments in a subjective manner when it comes to who they believe is better. The horse has been flogged to death on this one, whether someone thinks one is better than the other, or they are on equal terms is neither right or wrong. It’s an opinion

I think we can compare some things (also Carey played 1 more game than Buddy at this point so a direct comparison is fair)

All Australians
Buddy - 7
Carey - 7

Coleman
Buddy - 4
Carey - 0

Leading Goalkicker at their own club
Buddy - 10
Carey - 5

Best and Fairest at their club
Carey - 4
Buddy - 1

Now onto the states

Goals
Buddy - 860.619
Carey - 727.457

Disposals
Carey - 4489
Buddy - 4240

Marks
Carey - 1830
Buddy - 1480

Tackles
Buddy - 714
Carey - 319

You could also argue about whether the current “legends” of the game would still be legends if they were playing in these times.
OK. That's great.

Most will view their assessments in a subjective manner when it comes to who they believe is better. The horse has been flogged to death on this one, whether someone thinks one is better than the other, or they are on equal terms is neither right or wrong. It’s an opinion
It's a banality.

As I said, I find it bizarre that some people think a comparison is impossible because they were "different players in a different time of footy". Such comparisons, involving players from different eras, are commonplace.

Who's the best ruckman you've ever seen? Or do you find it impossible to even consider such a question because it would necessarily involve comparing players from different eras?

Back