Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

• Yes – already

• Not yet – but he will

• No – and he won't

• Someone else is the best

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sticking with it is too hard to compare.
Carey was the sort of player to put it up in the air and he will find a way.
Franklin more get it into his hands anywhere within 60m and stuff happens.
Yeah, they're not identical players. You can still compare them.

In the 2010's game Franklin is the more valuable player, so for today's footy yes Franklin has passed Carey.
In the 1990's it was Carey due to style of game, so for 90's footy Carey will not be surpassed.
This is just deliberate obfuscation. It's pointless.

There was way, way way more to Carey than goals kicked. Something intangible and indefinable that goes way beyond mere statistics. He made everyone around him walk taller and play better.
These are the only arguments people will be able to make should Franklin finish as the player who ticks the boxes for longevity, athleticism, goal-kicking and overall record.

"Nah. Carey. Intangibles."

It's a shitty argument now and it'll be even shittier down the line.

Are you saying a key forward is not the same as a key position forward? Are they different things?

That's news to me.

You agree Ablett Sr started as a wingman/HFF. But you also say he spent most of his years as a key forward.

I don't see how both can be true.

He was a wingman/HFF until he transitioned to FF in 1993, where he had three great years and an interrupted final season in 1996.

Which part of that do you disagree with?
A key position player plays CHF/FF.
A key player, is key to the forward line, Ablett was Geelongs best forward for many years.
You asked how many years he played as a key forward, and the answer is nearly all of them.

Now as you like using stats to measure, go look at Abletts.

the disrespect to buddy is pretty crazy

265 games and 838 goals so far. thats less games and over 100 more goals than carey

2x flags. would be more if he stayed at the hawks, possibly couldve had a norm smith if he stayed too

6x AA

3x coleman, including being the last player to kick 100 goals in a season

9x leading goal kicker at his respective clubs

first ever indigenous player to kick 750 goals, 13th in history.

he still has what? 5yrs left on his contract? that takes him to 35yrs old, if he kicks 50 goals a season in that time (which he has every year bar his first 2 and 2015 where he played 17 games) he'll end with close to 1100 career goals and over 350 games played

look I know you have just posed a question but really buddy franklin wouldn't tie wayne careys bootlaces in my opinion.
they are two different players playing in two different eras.
half of the players playing today wouldn't even get a game then.

A key position player plays CHF/FF.
A key player, is key to the forward line, Ablett was Geelongs best forward for many years.
I didn't say "key player". I said "key forward". And this distinction between a "key position forward" and a "key forward" is news to me.

For example, I think most people understand that Eddie Betts, while "key" to the Crows' forwardline, is not a "key forward".

Do you think Betts is a "key forward"?

You asked how many years he played as a key forward, and the answer is nearly all of them.
Only according to your bizarre definition.

More accurately, Ablett was a key forward for three great seasons 1993-95, and an interrupted final season in 1996.

look I know you have just posed a question but really buddy franklin wouldn't tie wayne careys bootlaces in my opinion.
they are two different players playing in two different eras.
half of the players playing today wouldn't even get a game then.

lmfao jesus christ, surely you dont believe this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say "key player". I said "key forward".
And this distinction between a "key position forward" and a "key forward" is news to me.

For example, I think most people understand that Eddie Betts, while "key" to the Crows forwardline, is not a "key forward".

Do you think Betts is a "key forward"?

Only according to your bizarre definition.

More accurately, Ablett was a key forward for three great seasons 1993-95, and an interrupted final season in 1996.
Do i think Betts is Adelaids key forward?
No because he is not key to their forward line, unlike Ablett who was.

If Buddy played back in Carey's day, and played for North, he would be playing on a flank, Carey was streets ahead of him as a key position player.

I can imagine all kinds of things.

Good OP but why ask for discussion?
Any counter arguement is quickly shot down if it doesn't meet your own criteria.
Can't mention Carey's intangibles but base a point on hypothetically franklin playing at this level/amount of goals for x number of more years. How much of carey career did you watch?

For me and imo if buddy was to be a better forward wouldn't he be able to consistently take over head and pack marks?

Do i think Betts is Adelaids key forward?
No because he is not key to their forward line, unlike Ablett who was.
Betts has been Adelaide's leading goalkicker the past three seasons. I'd say that makes him pretty important.

According to your definition, that would make him a key forward, no?

If Buddy played back in Carey's day, and played for North, he would be playing on a flank, Carey was streets ahead of him as a key position player.
What is this ridiculous hypothetical?

seriously he has 100 more goals in fewer games than this scumbag. he'll end his career with over 1000 goals.

some of you guys need to realise how damn good buddy is

Good OP but why ask for discussion?
Any counter arguement is quickly shot down if it doesn't meet your own criteria.
That remains to be seen.

I assume someone will make a case for Carey that relies on evidence and critical assessment, as opposed to "intangibles".

Am I being too optimistic?

Can't mention Carey's intangibles but base a point on hypothetically franklin playing at this level/amount of goals for x number of more years.
Well, that merely assumes the current trend continuing.

It's a projection based on the status quo. Not exactly some far-fetched alternative reality.

How much of carey career did you watch?
Relevance?

If I said "none of it", you'd still have to make an argument.

For me and imo if buddy was to be a better forward wouldn't he be able to consistently take over head and pack marks?
Why? He's been great doing it a different way.

If Carey was the better forward, wouldn't he have kicked more goals?

seriously he has 100 more goals in fewer games than this scumbag. he'll end his career with over 1000 goals.

some of you guys need to realise how damn good buddy is
Yeah, I must say I thought there would be more support for Franklin.

Even if people didn't think he'd quite gone past Carey yet, I expected broader acknowledgement that the gap is tightening.

Betts has been Adelaide's leading goalkicker the past three seasons. I'd say that makes him pretty important.

According to your definition, that would make him a key forward, no?

What is this ridiculous hypothetical?

You are the one that wants to compare them, well in the same side, Buddy would be on a flank, because as key position players Carey shits all over him.

Interesting question. Maybe if he won a flag or two with Sydney I'd place Buddy ahead, but as it stands at this moment, I'd still rate Carey. I just think Carey had less weaknesses as a player than Buddy, but hell .... I'd like either of them in my forward line :)
Are flags the metric to split individual players?

You are the one that wants to compare them, well in the same side, Buddy would be on a flank, because as key position players Carey shits all over him.
This makes no sense.

To compare individual players, we have to pretend they're in the same team?

Since when is that the sensible way to frame it?

Back