Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

• Yes – already

• Not yet – but he will

• No – and he won't

• Someone else is the best

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

It is a good point. Ask 1000 football fans who was the best key forward of the 80's or 90's you will get about 8 different answers, probably with no one player emerging on top at least in any sort of conclusive way. Ask 1000 football fans to list the best key forward of the 2000's and 2010's and I am willing to bet 900 of them would say Buddy.

Perhaps, but ask 1000 people to name the best player of all time and you will get 900+ that split Carey/Ablett/Matthews.

Not many would nominate Buddy.

No. Prefer tall forwards who can mark.

Lance Franklin is on the same level as nick reiwoldt. A legend of the game but should never be considered the best ever

You really have to stop sniffing the rug cleaning fluid....
Actually I haven't tried that yet but I'll do anything once.

I stand by my opinion, though. They're two really different types of forwards. Carey was was a contested marking beast but Buddy has tricks up his sleeve that Carey never had.

No. Prefer tall forwards who can mark.

Lance Franklin is on the same level as nick reiwoldt. A legend of the game but should never be considered the best ever

Franklin is so far above Reiwoldt it is not even funny. In every measure Franklin is a lot better player. Buddy has kicked 200 more goals than Reiwoldt and played around 45 fewer games.

Perhaps, but ask 1000 people to name the best player of all time and you will get 900+ that split Carey/Ablett/Matthews.

Not many would nominate Buddy.
Minor observation/sidenote, it's pretty crazy that despite his controversies Buddy is probably the least controversial when you consider both on and off field compared to those three.

Minor observation/sidenote, it's pretty crazy that despite his controversies Buddy is probably the least controversial when you consider both on and off field compared to those three.

He really is. A stack of rumours but nothing more than that. I mean Buddy's most controversial moment was a car accident. He sometimes gets suspended doing stupid things as well but no one would ever accuse Buddy of being a dirty player either.

I just can't get my head around this neurotic compulsion people have to decide which is the better player. It's like the NBA with the LeBron/Jordan arguments. I mean, who gives a s**t?

As for Buddy, he's not even the greatest forward to play for Hawthorn :)

Buddy is better than Dunstall, at least in a modern context. Dunstall would be too short and too slow in modern football.

On the flip side, Franklin is one of the few players that will benefit from currency rather than hindsight because the other players of his generation are so vastly inferior.

In Carey's era there were, at any given time, more than half a dozen other forwards who would be the second best in the competition nowadays (behind Buddy obviously). Heck, Carey's own team had a Coleman medalist in it playing second fiddle to Carey.
Ablett Sr played alongside an 80 goal forward in Brownless. Sumich, Modra, Kernahan, Lloyd, Salmon at times, Minton-Connell for a short time, Lockett and Loewe, Dunstall, Jakovich briefly, Roger Merrett, Richo.

From time to time during Buddy's career players have risen - Roughead and Kennedy are the obvious ones, the Riewoldts, Pavlich and Brown but the second tier of forwards behind the number one has largely been very inferior.

That of course doesn't make buddy a better or worse player, but it does accentuate his standing in the game.

Franklin would be #3 forward in hawthorns history and #2 in sydneys (at best in each case) so its a fair way from GOAT, even just as a forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never seen a player have a year like Franklin did back in 08. Pretty sure Matthews is on record as saying the same thing. I really rate Franklin and think he is right up there with the best players I have seen. Still watch Sydney games just to see how he goes. A once in a generation footballer for sure.

Dunstall better with no qualifications needed. Hudson and Matthews arguably too

To be honest I am not sure as Dunstall was not the best forward of his era, while Buddy was of is, and Buddy is in an era where it is a lot harder for key forwards to kick goals, not just because teams no longer focus on kicking to their key forward as much, but also scores in general are lower and zones prevent key forwards kicking bags so Buddy's 918 goals or whatever it is so far is probably worth more than Dunstall's 1250.

I like Jack. But he hasn't even surpassed Richardson yet.

Love his work, though.

I love Richo but be honest jack has achieved two Coleman’s and maybe a third this year plus a premiership!

Richo has none of those

I love Richo but be honest jack has achieved two Coleman’s and maybe a third this year plus a premiership!

Richo has none of those

Premierships don't really mean anything when judging a players overall career. Lockett did not win a single premiership, and no one would say Cameron Mooney who won three premierships) was the better forward.

Richo has none of those

Doesn't make him a better player, though. Especially the Premiership part.

Gherig won a couple of Colemans, and was two kicks shy of winning two flags but he's not even in the conversation.

Vast numbers of legends never won a flag.

Have to rate Jack agsinst Richo, though, as Jack is a modern forward who has to get up the ground (the way Carey, Richo and Buddy pioneered pretty much).

There are certainly things that Buddy and Carey excelled at more than the other, Carey's not sprinting down the wing away from opponents and slotting goals from the boundary or popping them from 65 meters like Buddy can, while Buddy's not taking big pack marks and crashing packs like Carey can.

Wow.

Protip: reserve your assessment of players for those that you've actually watched play the game.

Dunstall would be too short and too slow in modern football.

Geez. Bloke goes from kicking over a thousand goals to not making it. Yeah nah. Dunstall was quick off the mark and a very clever footballer. Throw him into the current Tigers outfit with a modern training program and he’d be tearing it up.

Back