Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

• Yes – already

• Not yet – but he will

• No – and he won't

• Someone else is the best

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't say you shouldn't rate them against each other. Everyone has the right to have an opinion and it's the reason this forum exists.

I had the pleasure of watching Carey play and he was definitely THE dominant contested marking half-forward. So if it's all about winning games then Carey's your guy.

Players like Buddy and even Ablett Sr on the other hand are just out and out freaks. Their careers are just a highlight reel of amazing moments. "How the hell did he do that???". Carey was never that for me even though he was a brilliant all round footballer.

Idk. I had quite a few of those moments with Carey. Winning contests you wouldn’t expect someone to win. Not as out and out freaky as Ablett or Buddy, but like Diesel Williams a complete freak in his own way.

A few times I saw Carey have a bunch of Geelong players hanging off him (like Ablett Snr had at times) and still he pushed them out of the way in winning the contested ball. Never seen Buddy do this as he uses his pace and deft touch instead. Carey also had this pace and excellent touch to boot.....

A few times I saw Carey have a bunch of Geelong players hanging off him (like Ablett Snr had at times) and still he pushed them out of the way in winning the contested ball. Never seen Buddy do this as he uses his pace and deft touch instead. Carey also had this pace and excellent touch to boot.....

Ablett Snr is both of them put together- brute strength, sublime skill, matchwinner and the ability to do the impossible- also a reasonably interesting off-field life

He’s a young dude who admits he never saw Carey play.

Seems to lump all FF’s and CHF’S together too. Not exactly rich in knowledge of Carey’s era.

Makes more sense now

I'll have either.

Carey - 90s (but only because Ablett Senior retired in 1995).

Franklin - 2000s.

2010s - dunno - Riewoldts (combination:p).

Seriously, Franklin is the first player I would pick in the AFL over the last 16 years. (2001 - GAJ, Judd, Hodge = eeh, difficult).

Nope. I love Buddy but Carey on another level.
Enjoy watching buddy a great deal, but never been scared of him. Carey gave a very good Geelong side a hiding pretty well every time-a monster.

That's it in a nutshell, and on page 2.

Everyone was scared of playing Carey cos he could win a game himself. Not just every now and then either. All the time. It was expected of him. It's great remembering just how scared opposition supporters were of him.

No opposition supporter feels that way about Buddy.

I think old carey's been reading this thread. After a relatively soft free kick resulted in a goal in tonight's game, carey said something like 'that's the modern game though'.... 'and that's why you can't compare forwards from today to forwards of yesteryear... didn't get free kicks like that' ;)

Last edited:
I think old carey's been reading this thread. After a relatively soft free kick resulted in a goal in tonight's game, carey said something like 'that's the modern game though'.... 'and that's why you can't compared forwards from today to forwards of yesteryear... didn't get free kicks like that' ;)

Steve Silvagni likes this.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interpretation of a legal mark is more strict in modern footy.

The benefit of the doubt used to go to forwards if they juggled or lost control of the ball.

I prefer the less strict interpretation of yesteryear.

Interpretation of a legal mark is more strict in modern footy.

The benefit of the doubt used to go to forwards if they juggled or lost control of the ball.

I prefer the less strict interpretation of yesteryear.

The way they call a mark now is often ridiculous. Players get clear two hands on the ball and then opponents just careen into them or pull their bodies back. The ball then spills free. I watch my team more than others obviously but the way Ben Brown is treated in the contest would put Silvagni to shame, it was not traditional to have 2-3 players pulling your body away. In the 90's these would usually be paid. The AFL bemoans forward play and congestion but the way they adjudicate the rules encourages this. If a mark was more easily paid there'd be slightly less congestion reward and slightly more reward for each player going for the mark in their own right.

Carey was probably the better player.

But I'd prefer Franklin on my team any day.

A bloke who has an4ls3x with a team mates wife in his house is not someone you could trust.

I think old carey's been reading this thread. After a relatively soft free kick resulted in a goal in tonight's game, carey said something like 'that's the modern game though'.... 'and that's why you can't compare forwards from today to forwards of yesteryear... didn't get free kicks like that' ;)

No doubt. Carey is the biggest narcissist in the AFL world.

Back