Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

• Yes – already

• Not yet – but he will

• No – and he won't

• Someone else is the best

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

He missed, what, four games this year and was still close to getting the Coleman medal? Hardly cooked.

I’d agree he was still great this year, but how well do you reckon he’ll be going after two more full seasons? He’ll still have two to go on huge money at that point.

I’d agree he was still great this year, but how well do you reckon he’ll be going after two more full seasons? He’ll still have two to go on huge money at that point.
He's 31, just made the All-Australian team once again despite not training all year because of injury issues.

Pretty certain he's still got a fair bit left.

He's 31, just made the All-Australian team once again despite not training all year because of injury issues.

Pretty certain he's still got a fair bit left.
He’s quality no doubt
But this year shows just how reliant they are on Buddy and that’s not the Sydney way
He singlehanded got them into finals off his own back but the narrative is keep Buddy quiet and you go a long way to winning
He needs help and him eating up a large chunk of the COLAless cap is gonna make things tough

Last edited:
He’s quality no doubt
But this year shows just how reliant they are on Buddy and that’s not the Sydney way
He singlehanded got them into finals of his own back but the narrative is keep Buddy quiet and you go a long way to winning
He needs help and him eating up a large chunk of the COLAless cap is gonna make things tough
I think their midfield has really fallen off from where it used to be.

Nope duck the best centre hakf forward I’ve seen .....

The game is different now though ...how would duck now ...hmmm well but not as dominant

Pagons paddack was coaching genius...that took opp coache’s about 4 years to work out what they were doing

People are forgetting how ridiculously good Kernahan was in finals. He was playing captain at the time too.

Yup. Neither he nor Derm in the conversation with Buddy and Carey, but Sticks is a rather forgotten big game player and champ CHF that demands a nod once Brereton’s name gets thrown around; every bit as good if not better.

Yup. Neither he nor Derm in the conversation with Buddy and Carey, but Sticks is a rather forgotten big game player and champ CHF that demands a nod once Brereton’s name gets thrown around; every bit as good if not better.

Yeah sticks was awesome

Carey dominated more because his team figured a strategy out to make the most of his talents ...

Pagons paddock was genius by Dennis

I’m amazed it too oppo coaches so long to figure out a strategy to stop it ....lol err flood then came in ...

Then flood became normal .......still is here

Honstely I reckon that’s where the game changed ....

Buddy well on his way to become only player in history to kick 500 for two different clubs

Yet the team he left won multiple flags after he left, and the team he joined won one just before he arrived, but none since :think:

Yep because one man can win a premiership in footy...this afl not nba

No, it certainly takes a team. But he doesn't lead or lift teams like the other bloke in the thread title did. An individual freak though, no doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You cant be serious, do you watch sydney games? He has dragged our carcass across the line a tonne of times over the past 5 years

Yep. Saw him do absolutely nothing in the elimination final this year. He has always been a freak talent, but he's not a leader. Hence never even being in a leadership group despite being the highest paid player at multiple clubs.

Yep. Saw him do absolutely nothing in the elimination final this year. He has always been a freak talent, but he's not a leader. Hence never even being in a leadership group despite being the highest paid player at multiple clubs.
Just because he has never been in a leadership group doesnt mean hes not a leader. Maybe he chooses to have it that way...i know guys like haywood,papley and aliir have all spoken glowingly of buddy multiple times about how much time he he spends with them trying to develop their game.

Pretty hard to speak about leadership without knowledge of what actually happens behind closed doors

Just because he has never been in a leadership group doesnt mean hes not a leader. Maybe he chooses to have it that way...i know guys like haywood,papley and aliir have all spoken glowingly of buddy multiple times about how much time he he spends with them trying to develop their game.

Pretty hard to speak about leadership without knowledge of what actually happens behind closed doors

Obviously any internal or one-on-one coaching is hard to identify as a fan, but on-field leadership is readily apparent. It's not a slight on him that he isn't a huge on-field leader. He's still the best forward of his generation.

Question should be asked-can Sydney still afford Buddy’ s back ended contract?
Yes, of course. Heeney to Geelong, Blakey to North, and Mills to Carlton. Simple

Back