Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

• Yes – already

• Not yet – but he will

• No – and he won't

• Someone else is the best

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey was the best player of his era, and the best I have seen play this game.
Nah ablett was better. As was plugger.

carey only kicked two big bags in his entire career.

the only people who have Carey as better are north supporters and supporters who didn’t start watching football until the mid nineties when ablett and Lockett were near the end of their career And not quite as athletic as they previously were.

does anyone remember how s**t Carey was at the end. Lockett and Ablett were far better at their end. Likewise at their peaks.

the only people who have Carey as better are north supporters and supporters who didn’t start watching football until the mid nineties when ablett and Lockett were near the end of their career And not quite as athletic as they previously were.

does anyone remember how sh*t Carey was at the end. Lockett and Ablett were far better at their end. Likewise at their peaks.

Franklin may not be as good as Carey but Lockett the Saints and Swans version most certainly was.

does anyone remember how sh*t Carey was at the end. Lockett and Ablett were far better at their end. Likewise at their peaks.

Or neutrals who watched all three and think Carey was better

id imagine few centre half forwards have ever won one seeing as how they’re different positions where one is almost entirely based around pure scoreboard input while the other is not
Carey wasn’t an old fashioned up the ground centre half foward from about 95 onwards. I.e. the majority of his career. Pagans paddock basically made him the full foward.

Carey wasn’t an old fashioned up the ground centre half foward from about 95 onwards. I.e. the majority of his career. Pagans paddock basically made him the full foward.

Yeah which is why he averaged almost double the disposals of the pure full forwards like Lockett and Dunstall most seasons after 95. That’s exactly what he did. Played as a full forward.

It’s why players like sholl, McKernan, Alison, Grant, Abraham, Bell etc all had 30/40 goal seasons at least once and in some cases many times after 95 because Carey just had the forward line to himself and played as a full forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have watched footy from the early 80s onwards.

Carey was the best player I have seen in my time. Folks older than me say Lethal Leigh is the only comparable player over the last 50 years.

As a Blues supporter, I have no skin in this particular game.

He was the King for a reason. Carey over Plugger and Ablett for me. You can see things differently, that’s fine too.

I can’t answer this thread objectively but the thing with Carey was he’d bring other forwards into the game because he was taking 2 sometimes 3 defenders and still having impact.
Meanwhile Sholl Crocker Freeborn etc would be able to run free and kick mini bags of 3+

Back