Analysis Has Matt Finnis been a good CEO?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just casting my mind back.......back to GT's days as a start point....fact check may be required:

Waldron

Nettlefold

Fraser

Finnis

As someone suggested in an earlier post.....maybe that statue at RSEA should get commissioned.

LOL
Nettlefold and Fraser disastrous

Nettlefold and Fraser disastrous
Absolutely Mowman.....Fraser was an absolute shocker......from memory,a few female staff members called him out for inappropriate behavior....I think they resigned.

I remember Caro writing a big story on that issue and I remember thinking.....what the hell is going on down there.

Take the fall for what? One poor season where we were decimated by injury before a ball was bounced.

Baby, bath water.

Assuming reasonable performance from here in I'd expect minor change only - change of assistants coaches (but only those coming off contract)

But I want big line in the sand statement from Bassat about no longer accepting failure, everybody on notice for next year.

Anything more than that and we are seriously in danger of becoming a total rabble, responding to non-issue's driven by the click bait media.

I repeat again Baby, bath water.
Happens though mate.. in any business. I know this is a sport - but the club is also a business. If a budget is set and that budget isn’t missed by considerable margin, the manager/head of department will almost always be sacked. Nothing much different here. The media is having a huge say on our failure now and pressure will only get worse.

If we’re a Hawthorn or Richmond or Geelong that have had major sustained success recently - yes there is room to restructure. What have we achieved in the last 50 years? The dial will continually be changed until a model is proven successful.

Happens though mate.. in any business. I know this is a sport - but the club is also a business. If a budget is set and that budget isn’t missed by considerable margin, the manager/head of department will almost always be sacked. Nothing much different here. The media is having a huge say on our failure now and pressure will only get worse.

If we’re a Hawthorn or Richmond or Geelong that have had major sustained success recently - yes there is room to restructure. What have we achieved in the last 50 years? The dial will continually be changed until a model is proven successful.
What would you know anyway ;)

What would you know anyway ;)
I think Matty has been one of our best CEO’s in the last couple of decades. It’s just a time that won’t suit anyone that’s been in the roll for a period of time.. not his fault - it’s the circumstance we’re in. And the added political pressure internally that would pile on the pressure. The knives come out very quick when something thinks you’re wounded and venerable.

If Basset had been there for 10yrs or Ratts 5yrs it would be them on the block. Unfortunately people look further with tenure and point the finger that they’ve had their time to get it right, not it’s someone’s else’s turn.

Just my thoughts anyway.

And the added political pressure internally that would pile on the pressure. The knives come out very quick when something thinks you’re wounded and venerable.
Mikka84......you certainly startled me with this comment and yr earlier post that Matt Finnis has been under huge internal political pressure.

I certainly hadn't heard that "around the traps"

Mikka84......you certainly startled me with this comment and yr earlier post that Matt Finnis has been under huge internal political pressure.

I certainly hadn't heard that "around the traps"
I’m firm belief this is half the reason our year has gone from bad to worse. The quartet of Basset, Finnis, Letho and Ratts is not rosey. They all sleep with the light on.

So Richmond should have sacked Dimma and Melbourne should have sacked Goodwin because they had poor years.

Finnis has basically overseen the resurrection of the club and pretty much guaranteed its future.

Deserves a bit more respect than holding him fully liable for the outcomes of this year.

Problems lie in the player/coaching area, we've cleaned out the player group to a certain extent, now for a few in the coaching group.

I’m firm belief this is half the reason our year has gone from bad to worse. The quartet of Basset, Finnis, Letho and Ratts is not rosey. They all sleep with the light on.
Again Mikka....very very interesting.........I personally have thought that the current admin team is the best in all my years of being tortured by the Saints.......but that is me on the outside looking in.

So Richmond should have sacked Dimma and Melbourne should have sacked Goodwin because they had poor years.

Finnis has basically overseen the resurrection of the club and pretty much guaranteed its future.

Deserves a bit more respect than holding him fully liable for the outcomes of this year.

Problems lie in the player/coaching area, we've cleaned out the player group to a certain extent, now for a few in the coaching group.
If you go back through comments - I think Finnis has been fantastic. Doesn’t change my belief something won’t be done years end. Dimma was in a bees tickle of being chopped. Goodwin was only a couple of years in. Im not involved enough to know the inner workings there whether either of them should have been sacked. Coaches do differ a lot from execs though. I’m some respects are a lot harder to get change given their forward focus involvement.

I think I may have been misunderstood in my thinking though. I like Matt. A lot. He’s a genuine nice guy that leads a good team. Think he’s done a great job. Do I believe there someone better out there currently for the role? Yes I do.

Again Mikka....very very interesting.........I personally have thought that the current admin team is the best in all my years of being tortured by the Saints.......but that is me on the outside looking in.
On a every line they are. But sometimes put those lines together and it doesn’t work. There are a lot of alpha types in those positions. All good when it’s going smooth, but once the cracks have surfaced this year, it creates a chance for others to push their cases for the leader of the pack.

On a every line they are. But sometimes put those lines together and it doesn’t work. There are a lot of alpha types in those positions. All good when it’s going smooth, but once the cracks have surfaced this year, it creates a chance for others to push their cases for the leader of the pack.

Is that Lethers pulling out the long knife? Does your mate still think the Geelong gig is on for him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Matty has been one of our best CEO’s in the last couple of decades. It’s just a time that won’t suit anyone that’s been in the roll for a period of time.. not his fault - it’s the circumstance we’re in. And the added political pressure internally that would pile on the pressure. The knives come out very quick when something thinks you’re wounded and venerable.

If Basset had been there for 10yrs or Ratts 5yrs it would be them on the block. Unfortunately people look further with tenure and point the finger that they’ve had their time to get it right, not it’s someone’s else’s turn.

Just my thoughts anyway.
I think he has got it right but that's subjective of course.

And yet both are a long way off our membership numbers even with the Dogs premiership and a top four chance this year.

Why is that?

isn't that kind of my point?

we have the numbers, we have the support, we just cant get the business model right. but clubs with inferior support have.

Lol, what do you base that off of?

Increase of 25,000 since he took over in 2014 and as for the momentum and down years correlating to "drops in membership";

2014 - 30,739
2015 - 32,746
2016 - 38,009
2017 - 42,094
2018 - 45,678
2019 - 42,910
2020 - 48,775
2021 - 55,012

And if you look at the years before that, even in down years, the trend is upwards. This narrative about having a bad year will result in significant drops in memberships is a myth. And you can say that there's more options to become a member now than before but the rule has always been anything $50 or more is counted.

so we have near on doubled members and have greater involvement with fans....

but we are still posting operational deficits and we have doubled debt.

sounds great!!!!

How does Finnis compare to our last 3 or 4 CEO ?

it's not even close. he's done well in regards to them!!!! the only one who was better would maybe be waldron?

its a very low bar. problem is, is he hitting the minimum required output now?

Is that Lethers pulling out the long knife? Does your mate still think the Geelong gig is on for him?
Haven’t spoken with Drummer boy since that night in all honestly. So couldn’t tell you an update. But it was a given case back then. Already signed the dotted line - so doubt much would have changed. Although footy seems to change weekly these days. Re: the first comment. No comment.

If he does go to Geelong I think the club will position that in a way of showing that that was part of the cleanout instead of Lethers just accepting a job elsewhere.

I don't think he'll leave however. What I am near certain of is that we will have a new look coaching panel around Ratten for 2022.

I've got enormous trust that Bassat will do what's right.

Nettlefold struggled to find a sponsor during years that we were playing grand finals. And the main business experience he would have is from working at his parents *massive* advertising agency.
It's incredible.

netters fraser were disasters

having said that. there had been a massive change in landscape that was not there for say fraser.

for example if finnis was there when fraser was in charge of redoing moorabbin, i doubt it would have got off the ground back then either. the local government were not accommodating and seemed to be going out of their way to make sure nothing happened. the AFL were still rooting us on stadium deal and they really didn't give a s**t about funding. clubs at docklands were posting losses hand over fist.

a lot had changed. including the AFL excepting there needed to be more done for equalisation which translated into increased funding and a better stadium deal.

finnis came in and there was a more accommodating government and AFL.

imagine if that were not the case over the last 7 years. we'd have 1 finals appearance, a bunch of heavier losses and no moorabbin.

Okay.

Finnis didn’t appoint Lethers. He was AFL appointed with a big please come here from our board, after we sat at the bottom of the list of clubs he wanted to work at - from memory he wanted the CarltonCEO gig.

Finnis was a big part of Moorabbin - big tick.
He also saw the failed ventures of New Zealand and China - now we are selling games to cairns. He has been the king of attempting and failing to build a marquee game and the one time we got gifted a chance (Good Friday) - we stunk it up.

he oversaw Richos tenure and supported him long after it ran stale. Infact Finnis oversaw an entire failed rebuild - where he openly supported the list manager and gave Richo a new deal - I think from memory it was a year before it’s expiry (could be wrong. Was a while ago. )

infact we only moved forward once Lethers came on board. Both performances and list management. We also managed to bring in Crouch Howard Hill Etc - only Carlisle under Finnis. All a huge part in our one finals appearance and win since 2011.

In 7 years with Finnis as CEO, we are more reliant on the AFL then ever. Over the Last 4 years we are the second biggest cap in hand culprits to the AFL

Assets may have improved, however debt position hasn’t reduced. The article I attached in my previous posts outlines that our plan is to reduce debt via attaining good crowds. Now he can’t be at fault for this season, but it does highlight how one dimensional the plan is.

under Finnis leadership we have increased our sponsorship - but still rank in the bottom 4 league wide.

I can’t really bothered to go on. Everyone else can debate this if they want. I’m pretty comfortable with where I stand on this topic.

Just wanted to say, not tying to debate or dismiss your points or where you stand on it, more just don't understand what base you are coming from entirely. You don't need to explain yourself, or your stance, there's nothing in the above that isn't basically right from a certain point of view, just also, AFL House basically shoving Lethers onto us, reaffirmed to me how much of a basket case we were and arguably still are even if it's gotten better.

So it was like, I recognise the growth so obviously am more forgiving on some aspects you might not be as forgiving on. It just seemed more it was operationally that was the issue as footy clubs exist to win games as the base, when clubs are much more than just that to me was all.

I mean, I'm on record as saying keeping Ratts but basically junking or in the least really considering shuffling/replacing most everyone else in that set up. So it's not like I don;t agree that it's an issue.

Nettlefold struggled to find a sponsor during years that we were playing grand finals. And the main business experience he would have is from working at his parents *massive* advertising agency.
It's incredible.

I consider him our worst of the last now 5, as at least the others tried things even if most failed or were blatantly wrong decisions. Nettles just stood there basically with his thumb up his arse and got a paycheque for it. Sure, nothing invariably broke or failed because nothing ventured nothing gained.

If he does go to Geelong I think the club will position that in a way of showing that that was part of the cleanout instead of Lethers just accepting a job elsewhere.

I don't think he'll leave however. What I am near certain of is that we will have a new look coaching panel around Ratten for 2022.

Only thing I'm certain of is that if we keep largely the same panel in development & gameday, then we are taking the piss and might as well fold rather than stand still for the next decade, and the one after that, and the one after that....

Only thing I'm certain of is that if we keep largely the same panel in development & gameday, then we are taking the piss and might as well fold rather than stand still for the next decade, and the one after that, and the one after that....
Well that's obvious but if you know what kind of campaigner Bassat is you'll rest easy knowing that he won't wait around for things to improve he will take action then and there.

Just wanted to say, not tying to debate or dismiss your points or where you stand on it, more just don't understand what base you are coming from entirely. You don't need to explain yourself, or your stance, there's nothing in the above that isn't basically right from a certain point of view, just also, AFL House basically shoving Lethers onto us, reaffirmed to me how much of a basket case we were and arguably still are even if it's gotten better.

So it was like, I recognise the growth so obviously am more forgiving on some aspects you might not be as forgiving on. It just seemed more it was operationally that was the issue as footy clubs exist to win games as the base, when clubs are much more than just that to me was all.

I mean, I'm on record as saying keeping Ratts but basically junking or in the least really considering shuffling/replacing most everyone else in that set up. So it's not like I don;t agree that it's an issue.

I consider him our worst of the last now 5, as at least the others tried things even if most failed or were blatantly wrong decisions. Nettles just stood there basically with his thumb up his arse and got a paycheque for it. Sure, nothing invariably broke or failed because nothing ventured nothing gained.

the only thing giving me hope is eddies comment that "there is a review of the reviewers"... the reviewers being Finnis and Lethers

it gives me hope because it implies the board and or president are not happy and they're looking at the overall management of the club. which atleast is proactive compared to the wait forever and see under Summers. where it seemed to go on forever, with the expectation it will just come good.

3 years is a long time and footy. anyone who doesn't think that's the case needs to look at brisbane. they were a shambles when we kicked off the rebuild in 2013. now they're playing prelims.

finnis has been there 7 years and no prelim, 1 finals appearance.
this is lethers 3rd season.

we need to be quicker to evaluate the performance of the club. i hope this is an indication that we are getting better in that regard.

Well that's obvious but if you know what kind of campaigner Bassat is you'll rest easy knowing that he won't wait around for things to improve he will take action then and there.

I'm aware, I'm borderline in how the board acts sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back