Has Neil Balme been the most successful person in football this century?

Remove this Banner Ad

2000 (though started in '98) to 2006 - Collingwood - Football Operations Manager - Two Grand Finals
2007 to 2013 - Geelong - Football Operations Manager - Three Premierships, one other Grand Final
2014 to 2016 - Collingwood - Director of Coaching
2017 to Current - Richmond - General Manager of Football - Two Premierships

In 20 seasons this century, he has 5 Premierships and 3 other Grand Final appearances to his name.

When he started at Collingwood, they were a basketcase, 'winning' the wooden spoon in 1999.

When he started at Geelong, they had missed the finals the previous season and hadn't won a flag for 44 years.

When he started at Richmond, they had been the laughing stock of the competition for over 30 years, and hadn't won a final for 15 seasons.

Who has a better football CV than Neil Balme since 2000?

EDIT: Standings based on other nominations in this thread (AFL level only):
Russell 7 Grand Finals, 6 Premierships
Balme 8 Grand Finals, 5 Premierships
Clarkson 7 Grand Finals, 5 Premierships
Caracella 7 Grand Finals, 5 Premierships
Hardwick 6 Grand Finals, 5 Premierships
What this shows is even the great Neil Balme’s powers couldn’t help perennial runner up Collingwood win a flag. He’s a genius but not a miracle worker.

As a Hawks supporter, I don't like doing the whole Clarko thing but:

Central Districts in the SANFL (2001 - 2002) - 2 Grand Finals, 1 premiership
Port Adelaide (2003-2004) - 2 Grand Finals, 1 premiership
Hawthorn (2005-present) - 5 Grand Finals, 4 premierships

Neil Balme seems to be a fantastic football administrator though, and there's no coincidence that he sees success at clubs.

Port didnt make the Grand Final in 2003. Fadge should know this.

Brendan Gale (AFL CEO) wouldn't have achieved two flags if he didn't lobby for a home fixture and home finals regardless of where Richmond finish in the top 4.

Deserves more credit than Balme

As a Carlton fan, I have no reason or inkling to defend Neil Balme at all, but that post just reeks of sour bitterness..

From what I have ascertained (From a mate who has legit RFC insider connections), Balme was a pivotal figure in the Tigers picking up Marlion Pickett in the mid-season draft, and strongly encouraged Richmond to take the massive risk of playing him in the grand final.

As a Carlton fan, I have no reason or inkling to defend Neil Balme at all, but that post just reeks of sour bitterness..

From what I have ascertained (From a mate who has legit RFC insider connections), Balme was a pivotal figure in the Tigers picking up Marlion Pickett in the mid-season draft, and strongly encouraged Richmond to take the massive risk of playing him in the grand final.

Gale was a pivotal figure in the Tigers 8 home game streaks leading into finals, lack of interstate travel towards the end of the season and protesting for MCG finals against a higher placed Geelong. These fortunes are what won Richmond flags. I think Marlion Pickett pales in comparison. He wasn't even around for 2017 and Richmond would've won 2019 without him.

Gale was a pivotal figure in the Tigers 8 home game streaks leading into finals, lack of interstate travel towards the end of the season and protesting for MCG finals against a higher placed Geelong. These fortunes are what won Richmond flags. I think Marlion Pickett pales in comparison. He wasn't even around for 2017 and Richmond would've won 2019 without him.
FFS Benny78, are you still melting over Richmond. I honestly don't know if you believe what you write or are just not all there.

FFS Benny78, are you still melting over Richmond. I honestly don't know if you believe what you write or are just not all there.

Surely if he believes it, that's proof that he's not all there....So that bit applies regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What this shows is even the great Neil Balme’s powers couldn’t help perennial runner up Collingwood win a flag. He’s a genius but not a miracle worker.

and don't forget, they were the ones who gave him a nudge towards the door because they wanted Eddie's mate back.

If Collingwood had kept Balme, they would have won both the 2018 and 2019 flags

Maybe...Overcoming the colliwobbles is a mighty big ask, even for him.

Balme wasn’t a bad footballer in his day either, sharp elbows as well

I'm remember when Geelong dropped Mark Blake from a grand final side, I posted Balme had spent a career ******* up the Blake family.

As a kid I remember going to a game at Kardinia Park, Geelong v Richmond and at the opening bounce, Balme knocked Rod Blake rotten. Blake got up and took his kick, a high, mongrel flat punt and then promptly went down again and had to be carried from the ground and never returned.

As a Hawks supporter, I don't like doing the whole Clarko thing but:

Central Districts in the SANFL (2001 - 2002) - 2 Grand Finals, 1 premiership
Port Adelaide (2003-2004) - 2 Grand Finals, 1 premiership
Hawthorn (2005-present) - 5 Grand Finals, 4 premierships

Neil Balme seems to be a fantastic football administrator though, and there's no coincidence that he sees success at clubs.
Clarkson certainly from a coaching point of view. Different skill set between coaching/club management though. A great club needs both and often it's the administration/management that find those good coaches.

Once that's all said and done though, you need those good coaches to then deliver the goods with the team like Clarkson has.

Brendan Gale (AFL CEO) wouldn't have achieved two flags if he didn't lobby for a home fixture and home finals regardless of where Richmond finish in the top 4.

Deserves more credit than Balme
Good onya Chris.
Chris scott.gif

...which is easy to do when you aren't the coach and don't have to front the media and supporters if it goes wrong.

...which is easy to do when you aren't the coach and don't have to front the media and supporters if it goes wrong.

he was director of football or something, its still a risk to back in pickett for balme

as said above, balme was very high on pickett before the MSdraft and straight after he walked into the club, after his first vfl game, etc. etc.

Last edited:
he was director of football or something, its still a risk to back in pickett for balme

as said above, balme was very high on pickett before the MSdraft and straight after he walked into the club, after his first vfl game, etc. etc.

I remember there being a little speculation about Geelong trying to get Pickett as he's supposedly best mates with Tim Kelly and the Cats may have tried it to entice Kelly to stay.

Interesting post, and if the thread title was 'Who is the most successful person in football this century (plus the last decade of last century)', he'd certainly be in the mix.

Fair. WC (4 GFs, 2 flags) and Geelong (4, 3) wouldn't be where they are this century without Cook - but he can't claim credit for both given he'd already left WC when we were partying like it was 1999.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back