Opinion Has Nicks lost the players or is there no evident game plan?

Remove this Banner Ad

How long do you give our development?
Well, 2020 is a write off to any team rebuilding. Can't get any rythym
2021 you start to see progression
2022 I'd accept 5+ wins (Sounds low, but remember, sophomore slumps. And you're seeing that with players like Schonberg, Thilthorpe etc.)
2023 is where we need to push finals 10-12 wins about what I'd want next year.

End of the day. He hasn't lost the players. You dont fight out games like the Richmond, Port Adelaide etc. games otherwise.
And the gameplan is there. You could see it in 2021 in games such as Geelong, Melbourne, 1st quarter of Richmond etc. But what I do like with Nicks, is he'll mix it up so we're not as predictable as say Neil Craig. You saw that vs Essendon (and when it failed miserably, we never went back)

We're a work in progress. And we're seeing enough good to give us hope. And I believe we're 1-2 years away from being back there.

He's lost me, I have no ******* idea what they are trying to do. Young team / s**t team we're simply no good.
And it seems we are going backwards.
13 wins and 34 losses @ 27.6% Nicks
17 wins and 27 losses @ 38.6% Robert Shaw
And somehow he's got another year to go.
Robert Shaw had a much better list to work with, though. Was unlucky to lose Shaun Rehn to consecutive knee reconstructions, but even so - after Shaw got sacked Malcolm Blight came in and took basically the same list to a flag the next year.

I don't care who you bring in to replace Nicks - Blight, Clarkson, the ghost of Alan Jeans, whoever - they're not winning a flag next year with this list.

Robert Shaw had a much better list to work with, though. Was unlucky to lose Shaun Rehn to consecutive knee reconstructions, but even so - after Shaw got sacked Malcolm Blight came in and took basically the same list to a flag the next year.

I don't care who you bring in to replace Nicks - Blight, Clarkson, the ghost of Alan Jeans, whoever - they're not winning a flag next year with this list.
Fair enough, I don't see us making finals next year either.

I know I commented on the other thread but does any one ask the question why we are having "biggest rebuild we done in our history" we have had 4 top ten draft picks in the past 4 years, that is the same amount as we have had since our inception 26 years ago. We should have a team that knows exactly whats going on and what nicks wants to play like. we are past the excuses stage. its cold and dark out here in the wilderness and im tired of being fed BS that it will be better tomorrow.
Like I said, this year I've seen where the young group is heading under Nicks. If they were still playing like last year (even the good win and close loss were messy game) then I would agree with you. I'm not a bit worry about Thilthorpe and Rachele reaching their potential, Jones is starting to show sign. McAsey is coming a way back in development given how COVID-19 has affected him more in the 1.5 years but is starting to feel more comfortable and has played some good footy in the SANFL. Have you seen the amount of experience players we let go end of 2019 after Pyke resigned? When have we ever done this....never, we did a massive list clean-up in 2019 like what North has done in 2021.

Last edited:
I wouldnt say he's lost the players. You can see that 7 games out of 10 the majority are working their arses off. The problem is that they just aren't very good.

If I had to choose one option, it would be the gameplan one. It's just not very good either.

In saying that, I think many on this board have some unrealistic expectations for both the list we have and how long a proper rebuild usually takes.

I wouldnt say he's lost the players. You can see that 7 games out of 10 the majority are working their arses off. The problem is that they just aren't very good.

If I had to choose one option, it would be the gameplan one. It's just not very good either.

In saying that, I think many on this board have some unrealistic expectations for both the list we have and how long a proper rebuild usually takes.
Unfortunately it can go down really fast, but never usually rises at the same pace. There will be missteps and we may go backwards at some point, you just have to hope you can keep that to a minimum.

Unfortunately it can go down really fast, but never usually rises at the same pace. There will be missteps and we may go backwards at some point, you just have to hope you can keep that to a minimum.

Youth. That's the cost of playing the kids. I'd take this over the traditional alternative any day.
I don't agree with some of what Nicks seems to be doing, but I think if the team under him have improved and continue to trend upward(which isn't really a huge achievement at this point in time I must admit) then he's doing OK. If it gets to year five and we have tapered off, remain outside the 8 and show no further signs of improvement, then its time to part ways IMHO, but I think it's a stretch to expect a team capable of reliably competing for a finals birth this early on in the piece.

A few key players including Andrew Jarman were delisted after 1996. But the majority of the underperforming 1996 team was around in 1997.

But right now the Coach does not matter as this team still is in the process of maturing. (we indeed won't be playing finals with Nicks, Clarkson or Blight) Last weekend they played well, just lacked the composure in front of goal. But they are capable of taking it up to anybody if they give it their best effort.

Nick's is coaching and selecting the team to try and win games and not to bring the kids up. He is coaching for his career and not the kids.
At the start of the season I agreed with this but the last month or so changed my mind, I think with the players he has at his disposal he’s having difficulty to find the best mix….next month will be telling, I want at minimum to see Pedlar, Newchurch and Milera at some point in the team.

I'm not sure if he ever had the players tbh. I don't see any game plan and I'm sure the players feel the same way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crouch was invisible. Poor selection. Many more years of mediocrity await.
And the problem is I think he was our best mid today. Laird has absolutely zero hurt factor, he simply can't put the ball/receiver into space. Keays is Nicks' lap dog and all he does is get in the way and turn it over. ROB is butter soft over head - needs to stop caring about who is in his way.

And the problem is I think he was our best mid today. Laird has absolutely zero hurt factor, he simply can't put the ball/receiver into space. Keays is Nicks' lap dog and all he does is get in the way and turn it over. ROB is butter soft over head - needs to stop caring about who is in his way.
Better than Berry?

There’s a game plan, it’s just s**t

Nicks doesn't have the playing group in my opinion.

Its a weird dynamic. I think a fair portion of the team like Nicks as a person. Going by all the videos, the players look genuinely enthusiastic. What I dont think they like is the game plan and selection.

Too many players have fallen back under Nicks for it to be the players fault.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back