Has our recruiting and game plan become obsolete?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not really a question we can answer yet and I'm certainly not calling it after one poor game but....

I though it might be worthwhile having a thread on the effect of the new rules on our game plan.

A few things to consider.

1. Our high press game plan is much harder to implement with the new rules.

2. Without the same pressure one one one defenders become more valuable and interceptors become less influential. Is Howard now more valuable than Aliir?

3. Charlie Dixon excelled as the long bail out option in a crowded forward line, with the increased value on brining the ball to ground. Now the game has opened up forwards better at leading and kicking for goal become more valuable.

4. With the game opening up genuine tap ruckmen who can feed midfield thay can run into space become more valuable as opposed to war horses like Lycett.

5. With the game opening up and less rotations great runners and skilled kicks are crucial moreso than grunt midfielders like Rockliff, Wines, SPP and Drew.

The question is have we been stitcjed by these rule changes or can we adapt?

I think some of our younger guys will be well suited to the change in style (if it persists) like Georgie, Butters, Rozee etc. But we need them to go to the next level quick.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
A good question and premise.

Lots of clubs would be asking themselves these questions.

Look at the way the swans picked apart Richmond. Or how the crows destroyed Geelong.

Some thoughts:
- the press worked against the Eagles, Dons and North. We just didn’t execute other parts of our game against the eagles
- Alir and Howard are probably interchangeable
- Dixon is actually a very good lead up forward, we just don’t always make use of him in this fashion
- Centre dominance and first possession is more important now than ever, big beasts in the centre are still key.
- one of the big issues we’ve suffered from is that we burn the ball when dominant. The new rules may help but stopping sides being able to flood back and block the corridor
- we do have great ball users, Amon, DBJ, Hartlett, Rozee, Butters, etc
- Lycett has never been a dominant ruck, Ladhams the same and Hayes untried. But ruck rules haven’t changed - they’ve been fine and will be ok going forward.

Despite the changes over the past 20 years, good sides have found a way. If Port are good, we will be fine.

Not really a question we can answer yet and I'm certainly not calling it after one poor game but....

I though it might be worthwhile having a thread on the effect of the new rules on our game plan.

A few things to consider.

1. Our high press game plan is much harder to implement with the new rules.

2. Without the same pressure one one one defenders become more valuable and interceptors become less influential. Is Howard now more valuable than Aliir?

3. Charlie Dixon excelled as the long bail out option in a crowded forward line, with the increased value on brining the ball to ground. Now the game has opened up forwards better at leading and kicking for goal become more valuable.

4. With the game opening up genuine tap ruckmen who can feed midfield thay can run into space become more valuable as opposed to war horses like Lycett.

5. With the game opening up and less rotations great runners and skilled kicks are crucial moreso than grunt midfielders like Rockliff, Wines, SPP and Drew.

The question is have we been stitcjed by these rule changes or can we adapt?

I think some of our younger guys will be well suited to the change in style (if it persists) like Georgie, Butters, Rozee etc. But we need them to go to the next level quick.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
Very good post I'll add to that the new rule has made all teams take it on when only a few played that way before us being 1.

We continually get found out in big games due to our substandard midfield

we Need to inject pace and skills through the midfield.

we Lost to Richmond in the final cause our midfield shat the bed late in the game.

our game plan will work with a quality midfield

So how do we upgrade Wines, Boak, Rocky, SPP, Drew, Rozee, Butters, etc, etc?

Being serious here, who are we chasing to improve?

Richmond and Geelong have Dusty and Danger - not sure we can inject that.

Zach-Merrett.jpg

A great tap ruckman are worth their weight in gold, but you still need smart mids to gain any positive benefit. Robbie is exceptional at reading the play at centre bounces & stoppages, & Butters definitely looks up to it. Rozee looks lost at the moment, but would be game breaker if he can get it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

******* hell .
This is next level bed wetting.

Faaaaaar too early to say.
Which was literally the first line of my post.

It makes for interesting discussion though and will be interesting to follow as we get more data and the season settles down.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon it helps more than hurts us.

Thats not to say the points you have made arent valid...

But Houston, Burton, Butters, Amon, Marshall, Georgiades, DBJ to name a few are all guys that should benefit from the new rules.

We have lost value in some players/parts of our game plan, gained value in others. In my opinion its a net positive.

How have the latest round of rule changes fundamentally changed the game from last year to the extent our recruiting and game plan are obsolete?

Are tall forwards now redundant? Are small forwards now worthless? Tall athletic intercept defenders are now a liability? Because one player has to stand still on the mark is across the ground defence in ruins?

The rule changes amount to a player on the mark standing still until play on is called, a few less interchanges a quarter and 5 extra meters on a kick in. Has that substantially changed the fabric of the game in one off season?

Did the rule changes force us to show no hunger, pressure, hunt and intensity from the opening bounce? The very things Ken called for when discussing the game before the opening bounce.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc. We had a stinker against West Coast. It's happened to the best of teams in Perth and will again. It doesn't mean the rule changes have left our entire football philosophy in ruins.

Maybe we could blame 5G or robot pigeons?

I blame pangolins.

They are essentially evil ;)

In all seriousness though, the biggest change from past year is going back to full length games, no hubs and a limited pre-season.

Those pangolins have a lot to answer for.

So how do we upgrade Wines, Boak, Rocky, SPP, Drew, Rozee, Butters, etc, etc?

Richmond and Geelong have Dusty and Danger - not sure we can inject that.
We need butters and Houston to have more permanent roles in the midfield. Rozee needs to run through there as does burton. All these guys can win the ball and use the ball.

SPP and wines can play the clearance players. my big hope for us is lachie Jones could become our midfield diamond, our riccuito type player.

and we must continue to draft mids, we have the young Burgoyne coming in, if he’s anything like his old man there’s a problem solved. Go after kossie pickett

we need to fast track Hayes. We need some help for lycett that eventually will overtake him

I dont think we are far off it, but Our coaches won’t change it up.. not sure why, keep hearing they don’t have this or they need to develop that.

Last edited:
Saturday’s performance wasn’t a result of the new rules finding us out.

It was another Hinkley era no show that we’ve become so familiar with across the last 7 years.

I am not really certain about my observations but it looks to me that we've decided to play more zone defence further up the ground and teams are moving the ball through us with less pressure on them. I think back to the mid-season AO game against Richmond where it was practically one on one accountable football all around the ground and it was what we were doing for most of the 2020 season, and then compare this to what we are doing now where we are allowing opposition players to run free and we seem to be late to the man taking the mark. Perhaps the new man on the mark rule has got us to tweak our defence game? If it is one thing that Hinkley has never been able to do well is fix a game plan during the season and so I hope this isn't the case. I've seen this zone defence in the pre-season and in the Magpies as well, which Norwood ran through us with ease, like we were cones. I guess the AFL pre-season games we had most of the ball and it wasn't evident perhaps? The Magpies trials games lacked physicality and perhaps that's due to our zoning? Whatever the case, something is not looking the same.

"Former Hawthorn sharpshooter Ben Dixon has put pure inside midfielders on notice, declaring on-ballers that can’t play in multiple positions will be “redundant” by the start of next season"

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back