Has our recruiting and game plan become obsolete?

Remove this Banner Ad

How have the latest round of rule changes fundamentally changed the game from last year to the extent our recruiting and game plan are obsolete?

Are tall forwards now redundant? Are small forwards now worthless? Tall athletic intercept defenders are now a liability? Because one player has to stand still on the mark is across the ground defence in ruins?

The rule changes amount to a player on the mark standing still until play on is called, a few less interchanges a quarter and 5 extra meters on a kick in. Has that substantially changed the fabric of the game in one off season?

Did the rule changes force us to show no hunger, pressure, hunt and intensity from the opening bounce? The very things Ken called for when discussing the game before the opening bounce.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc. We had a stinker against West Coast. It's happened to the best of teams in Perth and will again. It doesn't mean the rule changes have left our entire football philosophy in ruins.

Maybe we could blame 5G or robot pigeons?
Our game plan is proactive. When we are off, everything falls apart. When the opposition manages to beat our pressure, everything falls apart.

We have seen it a lot before. This game showed nothing new.

So how do we upgrade Wines, Boak, Rocky, SPP, Drew, Rozee, Butters, etc, etc?

Being serious here, who are we chasing to improve?

Richmond and Geelong have Dusty and Danger - not sure we can inject that.
What exactly do you mean upgrade Rozee & Butters? They'll develop as most players with 30-40 games do in time.

We lost one game, where before Saturday the consensus was our recruiters have been fantastic and our list in a great spot. We lose one game albeit badly to West Coast, and all of a sudden our list is broken, our recruiters have no idea, and everything else is broken.

Dusty & Dangerfield are generational talents. To get them via the draft you have to bottom out or do what we did in 2018 and move a Wingard type to get access to them. Also those types of players are rare. The only player outside of those two close is Bontempelli and possibly Fyfe.

We are on the right track, teams lose but they don't throw the entire plan and players out on the back of one bloody loss. The over reaction to it is laughable, if other clubs fans did it, there would be posts in here laughing at it.

Not really a question we can answer yet and I'm certainly not calling it after one poor game but....

I though it might be worthwhile having a thread on the effect of the new rules on our game plan.

A few things to consider.

1. Our high press game plan is much harder to implement with the new rules.

2. Without the same pressure one one one defenders become more valuable and interceptors become less influential. Is Howard now more valuable than Aliir?

3. Charlie Dixon excelled as the long bail out option in a crowded forward line, with the increased value on brining the ball to ground. Now the game has opened up forwards better at leading and kicking for goal become more valuable.

4. With the game opening up genuine tap ruckmen who can feed midfield thay can run into space become more valuable as opposed to war horses like Lycett.

5. With the game opening up and less rotations great runners and skilled kicks are crucial moreso than grunt midfielders like Rockliff, Wines, SPP and Drew.

The question is have we been stitcjed by these rule changes or can we adapt?

I think some of our younger guys will be well suited to the change in style (if it persists) like Georgie, Butters, Rozee etc. But we need them to go to the next level quick.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Good questions but jumping the gun a bit I reckon.

What exactly do you mean upgrade Rozee & Butters? They'll develop as most players with 30-40 games do in time.

We lost one game, where before Saturday the consensus was our recruiters have been fantastic and our list in a great spot. We lose one game albeit badly to West Coast, and all of a sudden our list is broken, our recruiters have no idea, and everything else is broken.

Dusty & Dangerfield are generational talents. To get them via the draft you have to bottom out or do what we did in 2018 and move a Wingard type to get access to them. Also those types of players are rare. The only player outside of those two close is Bontempelli and possibly Fyfe.

We are on the right track, teams lose but they don't throw the entire plan and players out on the back of one bloody loss. The over reaction to it is laughable, if other clubs fans did it, there would be posts in here laughing at it.

It probably didn’t quite come across but what I meant is that our midfield is very good (certainly in the top 4 in my opinion). So, if people think it’s a personnel issue, how do you upgrade it to not get beaten? Boak is usually top 5 in the Brownlow, Robbie has been a walk up start in any side for the past decade, Wines/SPP/Rocky/Drew are tough ball winners, Amon/Butters/Rozee provide the speed and class.

My post was more a challenge to say how are you upgrading that?

I don’t think it can really be upgraded without getting Dusty or Danger, (or Fyfe or Bont) which isn’t happening.

It probably didn’t quite come across but what I meant is that our midfield is very good (certainly in the top 4 in my opinion). So, if people think it’s a personnel issue, how do you upgrade it to not get beaten? Boak is usually top 5 in the Brownlow, Robbie has been a walk up start in any side for the past decade, Wines/SPP/Rocky/Drew are tough ball winners, Amon/Butters/Rozee provide the speed and class.

I don’t think it can really be upgraded without getting Dusty or Danger, (or Fyfe or Bont) which isn’t happening.
Pepp's has clearly had his issues. He's been sent away, apparently got things right in his personal life, hopefully put those behind him and now back needing to make amends (hopefully hell bent with a point to prove)

With Robbie, doing his ACL redefined his work rate and professionalism as a footballer. That made the superstar he is. Could this moment be the catalyst that kicks Pepp's in the ass and be the making of him as a footballer and what leads to him taking his game to another level ?

Pepp's has clearly had his issues. He's been sent away, apparently got things right in his personal life, hopefully put those behind him and now back needing to make amends (hopefully hell bent with a point to prove)

With Robbie, doing his ACL redefined his work rate and professionalism as a footballer. That made the superstar he is. Could this moment be the catalyst that kicks Pepp's in the ass and be the making of him as a footballer and what leads to him taking his game to another level ?

Not sure you can compare Sam's situation to that of someone having a horrific knee injury.

You have the development of Butters, Rozee & Duursma to come. Those three are a upgrade if they fulfill their potential and move into the midfield in time. I'm not sold on Rozee as a midfielder just yet, he lacks the awareness in the middle of his opponent etc but that should come in time you'd think. Drew is another who just needs a run at it with consistent footy. He has the tools, has always been injured.

SPP is a loss but he would be a few weeks away yet, I'm against rushing him back as I don't feel the need for him is desperate. We sit 2-1 not 0-3 so I'd rather see him get brought back in properly.

You know what you're going to get from Boak, Wines, Robbie and the older guys, they aren't going to change to much at this stage of their careers.

We don't have many kids screaming to come into the midfield yet, let alone this week against Richmond. Jones maybe a mid in the future, but not yet, Mead isn't ready for that level and same for others.

You back what we have in to do their job. From last season until now besides a few games they've done their job and do it well so back them in to up their game against Richmond. You'd think there would be no lack of motivation this week.

We continually get found out in big games due to our substandard midfield

we Need to inject pace and skills through the midfield.

we Lost to Richmond in the final cause our midfield shat the bed late in the game.

our game plan will work with a quality midfield

You are 100% correct, I think the guy who gives us a spark in games recently is Zak Butters, when he has a quiet game its definitely lacking spark and pace. I think we definitely lack some pace, spark and real long kicking out of the midfield in the big games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a good discussion, I shared some similar concerns in another thread not realising this thread existed. I do wonder if the huge shift in the way the game is being played this year compared to last year is troubling us and I think we need to quickly adapt otherwise we could be left behind.

“Have the rule changes severely hampered us? Definitely feels that way for me.

Our defence was what won us games last year, we rarely had goals scored against us easily but this year even in our wins north and the bombers have kicked easy goals against us. And we’ve not been able to lock it in our forward line for repeat entries like we did last year.

Last year even when we lost the midfield battle our defence held up strong except 1 clear outlier against geelong, where Hawkins put on a masterclass.

Will our style that got us to a minor premiership last year hold up this year. I’m really concerned from what I’ve seen so far.

We need to adapt and adapt fast, the season could slip away from us pretty quickly.

Similarly, I think the rule changes have affected the way the cats play.”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back