Has Rayner EVER been dropped?

Remove this Banner Ad

golions

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
just thinking back - has Cam Rayner EVER been dropped since he was drafted? (aside from ACL year of course)
or another way to put it - has he ever played a VFL/Ressies game?

He has put in plenty of performances worse than where others have been dropped but I don't think Rayner has been dropped for a poor performance.

Presumably because he was picked at Pick No. 1. If so, that is terrible for player development. Every player needs to know that they need to put in performances worthy of their selection and if they are not up it, they need to work on their craft in the ressies. At the very least he should be taking these games against the Suns and Hawks where we are off the boil and willing us across the line through sheer effort.

Even the great Ricky Ponting was dropped from the Aussie Cricket Team at one stage in his career and he came back a much better player following (Steve Smith too)

just thinking back - has Cam Rayner EVER been dropped since he was drafted? (aside from ACL year of course)
or another way to put it - has he ever played a VFL/Ressies game?

He has put in plenty of performances worse than where others have been dropped but I don't think Rayner has been dropped for a poor performance.

Presumably because he was picked at Pick No. 1. If so, that is terrible for player development. Every player needs to know that they need to put in perofrmances worthy of their selection and if they are not up it, they need to work on their craft in the ressies.

Even the great Ricky Ponting was dropped from the Aussie Cricket Team at one stage in his career and he came back a much better player following (Steve Smith too)

To be fair Ponting and Smith never played in the VFL either so I don’t see your point

Rayner was used just 4 times at centre bounce. Either the club has no faith in him at CBA or they are misusing him. Frankly, I think it's the latter. He either plays as the third tall or we use him at centre bounce. If we don't use him in either, then we can't expect him to do a whole lot more in his role than he is now.

If this loss can show us anything, it's that we need to use him a hell of a lot better.

Rayner was used just 4 times at centre bounce. Either the club has no faith in him at CBA or they are misusing him. Frankly, I think it's the latter. He either plays as the third tall or we use him at centre bounce. If we don't use him in either, then we can't expect him to do a whole lot more in his role than he is now.

If this loss can show us anything, it's that we need to use him a hell of a lot better.
Yeah yeah. End of day it’s up to Rayner. What does he really want?

My sense is he’s enjoying his massive contract money and doesn’t want to work his way through his issues to be in an important cog in the team. If only we could bottle Keays hard work, never die attitude and resilience and feed it to Rayner. Would be a great player. But alas where is the incentive for Rayner to work?

Yeah yeah. End of day it’s up to Rayner. What does he really want?

My sense is he’s enjoying his massive contract money and doesn’t want to work his way through his issues to be in an important cog in the team. If only we could bottle Keays hard work, never die attitude and resilience and feed it to Rayner. Would be a great player. But alas where is the incentive for Rayner to work?
He’s got the podcast, that’s hard work.

Rayner was doing ok as the 3rd tall where he could focus on the role and apply himself. He's completely rudderless where we had him playing today and just lacking confidence every time he went near the ball.

I don't care how we've developed him or how good he's meant to be ,all irrelevant at this point of the season ,let's go back to where he and the team were functioning effectively and we were getting some value out of him and not try to fit in players who are past it and can't contribute when the heat is on.

I remember comments from Fagan in maybe his first or second season about how maybe he should have been dropped but they decided he would learn more in the seniors. Except its meant he never learnt to play proper midfield, never got fit enough and never had to fight for his spot.

Personally think we've screwed up his development and mismanaged him. Been a total draft bust

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t have anyone in the 2s who can play better. Lohmann has looked the next best in the 2s but hasn’t managed to influence the game with the ball in the slightest when he’s had a chance
I think Dev Robertson can play better than Cam Rayner.

Last edited:
Strengths: overhead marking, clean hands, busting tackles, ‘X’ factor.

Weaknesses: accumulation/involvement, tank.

Play him out of the square as a genuine FF for a couple of games and see how he goes.

Would mean yet another positional change but I reckon we’d see some results. If he gets his 12 disposals within 40m of goals that may well equal 5 goals (not just from him, but by bringing the ball to ground, following his crumb, busting a tackle/palming off, and handing it off to someone to take a shot).

Whenever he’s played deeper he’s looked dangerous - against St Kilda last year and earlier this year (can’t remember who it was against).

Is it too late? If Rayner played VFL as a mid, and say we bought Lyons into the seniors, could he build up a bit of run and learn the position?

Is it too late? If Rayner played VFL as a mid, and say we bought Lyons into the seniors, could he build up a bit of run and learn the position?
Nothing is too late especially for someone who obviously has the talent. Maybe he just doesn’t have the drive to go to the next level. At the end of the day it is on him.

Massive fan of Rayner but I think he probably needs to be dropped. Needs to go back to the vfl and be locked into a position. Either Full Forward/Centre Half Forward or midfield for a good month to find out where his best position is

Love Cam and I have always thought he’d “come good”, with a big part to play if this group ever had success, but even I’m starting to consider him being a bust considering where he was drafted.

Remember how him playing down back taught him how easy he was to defend and how to get more dangerous?

I just don't think he's smart enough. Relies on raw ability but doesn't get into enough dangerous spots

Remember how him playing down back taught him how easy he was to defend and how to get more dangerous?

I just don't think he's smart enough. Relies on raw ability but doesn't get into enough dangerous spots
I think he knows what to do. He's been around long enough and seen what others do.

He's a very lazy footballer . And thus doesn't make the effort to get into spots where he can really impact the game. But can occasionally impact it if he's close enough to where the action is and the bounce of the ball goes his way.

I think he knows what to do. He's been around long enough and seen what others do.

He's a very lazy footballer . And thus doesn't make the effort to get into spots where he can really impact the game. But can occasionally impact it if he's close enough to where the action is and the bounce of the ball goes his way.
He needs a preseason like he had before he did his knee. He’ll never have a great endurance base but he gave himself every opportunity that pre season.

I remember this last offseason there was talk he didn’t come back in the best shape, now perhaps that’s having an effect as to why he isn’t getting much of a go through the middle as well.

He needs a preseason like he had before he did his knee. He’ll never have a great endurance base but he gave himself every opportunity that pre season.

I remember this last offseason there was talk he didn’t come back in the best shape, now perhaps that’s having an effect as to why he isn’t getting much of a go through the middle as well.
Well yesterday was the perfect opportunity to throw him in there particularly when we need a spark and we didn't take it.

You'd have to presume we're not that dumb to not try to win back some momentum so we can only think we believe he's not up to it at present. If ever.

We are a talent over system team. When talent has a off day we can't rely on a solid system to fall back on. Rayner embodies that mindset and unfortunately the coaching crew around him never taught him accountability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back