Has the AFL world overrated Taylor Walker?

Remove this Banner Ad

What about Kennedy and Cameron?

I'm not disputing Taylor isn't a good footballer - he certainly is. But the AFL definitely overrates him and hypes him up considering he is a 2.3 goal a game 13 touch player.

Just a discussion champ, settle down :thumbsu:

Id swap Kennedy or Cameron for Jenkins in a heartbeat. That is a like for like positional swap.
You really musnt watch Tex that much if you consider him our Full Forward.

Go and look at how many Tex kicks from outside 50. How many on your list can do that?

Yeah, I think that was at his own pub though.
I agree that Cameron is underhyped when compared to the likes of Daniher, Reiwoldt etc but Im surprised that you think Tex is overhyped. Does he get much hype in Sydney compared with Franklin? Didnt think he got much hype at all when I lived in Melbourne or even watching Vic based footy shows.
To be fair, no one really gets hyped up in Sydney.

Just an observation based on a recent trip to Adelaide (listening to local radio stations, The Advertiser etc), his apperances on the Footy Show, the way commentators speak of him like a modern great.

No doubt Walker is a good player. And I would love to have him at the Swans. But given the hype mentioned above and the high proice tag he would command, I just don't think he justifies his reputation. And that isn't his fault - he can't help the way he is portrayed by the media who love to pump the tyres of players

To be fair, no one really gets hyped up in Sydney.

Just an observation based on a recent trip to Adelaide (listening to local radio stations, The Advertiser etc), his apperances on the Footy Show, the way commentators speak of him like a modern great.

No doubt Walker is a good player. And I would love to have him at the Swans. But given the hype mentioned above and the high proice tag he would command, I just don't think he justifies his reputation. And that isn't his fault - he can't help the way he is portrayed by the media who love to pump the tyres of players

Ah I see. So you have been to Adelaide, then you surely realise there isnt a whole lot more to talk about than our 2 teams. He is Captain of one of them and I still think he recieves less hype than a lot of the players from either of those sides.

Plays a diferentes role than when he first came on to the scene. He is more of a CHF these days and is heavily involved in creating goals more so than kicking them.

Probably hasn't reached the heights that we all thought he would though. Still fun to watch.

Well, overrated? Wouldn't say so. Nobody has him as the best forward in the game, just a pretty good player. And it not that they Crows lost because of him. He just had a bad game. Still is a good player.

Dude, it seems like you caught a quick glimpse of him vs Freo and are basing your ideas on that one game.

Ill admit that Tex has more of those games than I would like for our Captain and best forward but I wouldnt consider them the norm by a long shot.

His best is as good as anyone in the league but he has taken time to find consistency after his recovery from a "car crash" level knee injury. This year he looks to have regained full confidence in his knee for the first time.

He is a gun.

Just cant see Adelaide even winning a flag with him in the team or even coming close, sorry I cant. Look at Sydney and their no dickheads policy and how many grand finals they have played in and won over the last decade.

Just cant see Adelaide even winning a flag with him in the team or even coming close, sorry I cant. Look at Sydney and their no dickheads policy and how many grand finals they have played in and won over the last decade.
What "no dickeads" policy was that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taylor is often talked about as one of the best KPF's in the competition yet he wouldn't make my list of top 8 (Lynch, Kennedy, Franklin, Riewoldt, Riewoldt, Cameron, Hawkins and Danniher). I challenge anyone to make a list of top 5 KPF's and see if Tex fits in. Statistically, he is only marginally better over the journey of his career than Ben Brown or Tory Dickson; both whom would cost a fraction of Taylor's price.

I don't like Tex but he's a million times better than Daniher, bizarre for you to even compare them.

No question, but would you take Walker ahead of Franklin, Lynch, Riewoldt, Cameron, Kennedy, Hawkins, Brown? Even Dixon who is a contested marking beast?

Funny read. A new account made two weeks ago, first thread is to troll Walker lol
Walker plays more as a high CHF nowadays with some time at FF, not a FF like Kennedy or Cameron who are mainly FF 80% of the time. (Jenkins plays that role mostly)

Tex is more of a play maker than the traditional half forward kpd. This is a key to the strength in our forward line. He's has loads of goal assists and keeps us unpredictable . In many ways has sacrificed some of his own game for this.

Has probably sacrificed his game for the better of the team.

I'd like to see him play deeper at times and be given one on one opportunities but why would you mix up Adelaide's forward line when he plays CHF and Betts and Jenkins/Otten play closer to goal.

When McGovern is back he could play CHF and Walker could get closer to goal but I'd be in no hurry to change anything.

Tex is massive for the crows. When he was injured a few years back the crows struggled, saw first hand in the showdown what hes capable of.

Great kick, can kick goals from outside 50, mobile for a big forward and is one of those tough old school footballers who always imposes himself on a game.

He gets overated/over hyped in adelaide because hes captain but if he was in melbourne he would get the same attention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back