Footage of Chris Fagan on his morning walk today >

200.gif
That's brilliant.

Thedeftouch

Club Legend
May 5, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Honestly I expect he will return either first or second week of finals. The rehab efforts will be top notch and even if he's only at 80% i think both him and the team will struggle to say no.

Losing Andrews is a massive blow, but it should not mean the end of our season or Premiership hopes. Payne comes in for Andrews, which partially covers the absence on paper. Lester, Gardiner, Starcevich, Birchall, Rich and Answerth continuing to stand up also helps. Forget moving McStay back. He is so horribly out of form, particularly in terms of marking that he would be a liability. The other big thing we can do to cover the loss of Andrews is we can dominate in the midfield and start kicking higher scores. We are not going to notice his loss as much if the ball spends most of the time in our half. If we think we are going to win finals by kicking six goals a game and having goalless quarters (we managed two of those on the weekend) we are delusional. The same applies to scoring accuracy. Look at Geelong on the weekend - they kicked 17.6 against Essendon. More telling is their quarter by quarter breakdown. 6.1 6.1 2.1 3.2
Losing Andrews is a massive blow, as I said, but we are still going to go out in “straight sets” again if we can’t get our forward line right. If we can dominate in the middle and convert on the scoreboard we are still a chance with the defenders we have available.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Losing Andrews is a massive blow, but it should not mean the end of our season or Premiership hopes. Payne comes in for Andrews, which partially covers the absence on paper. Lester, Gardiner, Starcevich, Birchall, Rich and Answerth continuing to stand up also helps. Forget moving McStay back. He is so horribly out of form, particularly in terms of marking that he would be a liability. The other big thing we can do to cover the loss of Andrews is we can dominate in the midfield and start kicking higher scores. We are not going to notice his loss as much if the ball spends most of the time in our half. If we think we are going to win finals by kicking six goals a game and having goalless quarters (we managed two of those on the weekend) we are delusional. The same applies to scoring accuracy. Look at Geelong on the weekend - they kicked 17.6 against Essendon. More telling is their quarter by quarter breakdown. 6.1 6.1 2.1 3.2
Losing Andrews is a massive blow, as I said, but we are still going to go out in “straight sets” again if we can’t get our forward line right. If we can dominate in the middle and convert on the scoreboard we are still a chance with the defenders we have available.

Not a great example. Even we kicked 14.7 against Essendon.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know you think the game should be played like it was back in the 1980's but in this modern game we see now, most scoring opportunities come from run out of the backline. Our scoring opportunities will also rely on guys like Rich, Starc, Birchall etc all giving our runners the best chance to bring the ball into our forward line in a way our forwards can score. Thats how most sides win games.

Pikuks

Debutant
Aug 19, 2019
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For what it is worth, round 10 to 15, total goals kicked by each team currently in the 8.
Geelong 68
Richmond 63
West Coast 50
Port 47
Collingwood 47
St Kilda 38
GWS 38
Brisbane 37

We need Charlie, Eric, Dan, Cam and the others that venture forward to lift. The backhalf can be reworked, re-structured etc as much as we want, if we don't kick goals, it is all in vain.

The above probably goes a long way to indicate why Geelong and Richmond are flag favourites and we are not.

I know you think the game should be played like it was back in the 1980's but in this modern game we see now, most scoring opportunities come from run out of the backline. Our scoring opportunities will also rely on guys like Rich, Starc, Birchall etc all giving our runners the best chance to bring the ball into our forward line in a way our forwards can score. Thats how most sides win games.
INCORRECT most scoring opportunities DO NOT come from “run out of the backline.” Most scoring opportunities come from centre clearances and stoppages in our forward half. Rather than facilitating the running of the ball out of the backline, our defenders more often than not chip the ball about until they can find an overlap to exit to or they kick it down the line. It’s ironic that you mention the 80’s, because that was the era of rebound football and aggressive running in waves out of the backline. Sometimes you have to know what you are talking about Mighty Lions and with the greatest of respect, in this instance you don’t.
PS. I suspect you didn’t watch much football in these 80’s you speak of.

Last edited:

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
For what it is worth, round 10 to 15, total goals kicked by each team currently in the 8.
Geelong 68
Richmond 63
West Coast 50
Port 47
Collingwood 47
St Kilda 38
GWS 38
Brisbane 37

We need Charlie, Eric, Dan, Cam and the others that venture forward to lift. The backhalf can be reworked, re-structured etc as much as we want, if we don't kick goals, it is all in vain.

The above probably goes a long way to indicate why Geelong and Richmond are flag favourites and we are not.
Deplorable reading.

The truly amazing stat is that we are actually winning and whilst it may sound ungrateful given the position we've come from, I'd be lying if I said it has been an enjoyable stretch of games to watch. In fact, compared to last year where we were one of the most exciting teams to watch, we're probably one of the worst teams to watch as far as spectacles go. We don't kick straight and our total scores resemble a very good quarter of football.

Whilst that Collingwood poster was a dick the other day, I don't think he or she will be too far off the mark with how we'll go come finals time.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Geelong 68
Richmond 63
West Coast 50
Port 47
Collingwood 47
St Kilda 38
GWS 38
Brisbane 37

Does this factor in byes?

Deplorable reading.

The truly amazing stat is that we are actually winning and whilst it may sound ungrateful given the position we've come from, I'd be lying if I said it has been an enjoyable stretch of games to watch. In fact, compared to last year where we were one of the most exciting teams to watch, we're probably one of the worst teams to watch as far as spectacles go. We don't kick straight and our total scores resemble a very good quarter of football.

Whilst that Collingwood poster was a dick the other day, I don't think he or she will be too far off the mark with how we'll go come finals time.
At last! A SANE PERSON who knows what he is talking about. Once again, spot on Dylan. We still need to get our forward line right. It is blindingly obvious to everyone, bar those who don’t understand the game.

Geelong 68
Richmond 63
West Coast 50
Port 47
Collingwood 47
St Kilda 38
GWS 38
Brisbane 37

YEP! Apparently most kicked on the rebound out of defence 🤪 - It’s the ‘modern game.’

You have said exactly what I said In post #55 and I agree 100%

We can rework the backline and one way we can cover for Andrews is to kick more goals.

Last edited:

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Geelong 68
Richmond 63
West Coast 50
Port 47
Collingwood 47
St Kilda 38
GWS 38
Brisbane 37

We were the highest scoring team to round 9 though? Or close enough to

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think our percentage is a good indicator of where we're at. Geelong and Richmond have found another level more often than us this season. Port we beat and played some pretty devastating footy against so not sure they're ahead of us

Pikuks

Debutant
Aug 19, 2019
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Does this factor in byes?
Just a simple add up of goals scored by teams that played. Not meant to be overly analysed from a statistical point of view, just a broad brush indicator. We've been winning, that's better than loosing, but....... We have to kick a winning score.

blackers

All Australian
Jan 4, 2002
Kowloon Tong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Denver Broncos, Liverpool
I'm philosophical. We haven't had a big injury to a key player for ages and have dodged a few bullets this year as it is (e.g. we all thought Charlie was done for a minute there). So we tough it out.

It could be worse. We should beat Gold Coast, Sydney and Carlton with or without Harris. The big ask will be winning our first final without him, especially if it's Richmond. But if we can do that, we get another week off and he's back for the prelim. And tbh, we know we need every single player to lift to beat Richmond or Geelong, Harris makes a difference but he's not going to save us if the team isn't play well.

I remember in the three-peat years, we played several finals missing key players - Lynch missed a couple from memory. You just play your best footy and whatever happens happens.

Pikuks

Debutant
Aug 19, 2019
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We were the highest scoring team to round 9 though? Or close enough to
Too true. But since then, Charlie has stopped kicking them, Dan hasn't started kicking them, Eric does many great things but hasn't been kicking them. We can do it, we just need to do it again. And again.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With Andrews out we have to adapt. We do not have a current AA KPD playing in the reserves. So we are not going to be able to make a direct one for one especially in circumstances where our defensive line has been playing undersized all year.

What we do have though is two guys who both looked equally as good as Walker last year. This is the bloke who has been much lauded for how he has stepped up for North this year. Eagles and Payne made the decision to let Walker go a relatively easy one. Both have the talent to play KPD at AFL and, in my opinion, do it very well.

Payne and Eagles have been playing together for two years and know how each plays and when to help and not. They know each others game. IMO if you want to replace Andrews and give the replacement the best chance of success you bring both in. It addresses the undersized issue we have, it moves Gardner to a role he is more suited and lets the two newcomers work off a guy they know.

When Andrews comes back you have a choice of which big option has been going the best and you have a backline structure more likely to win finals. You have also gotten much needed games into Payne who I personally think has AA fullback level talent.

Payne is big strong and quick. Defensively he reads the play well and is good overhead. One thing that is underestimated with him is how good he is by foot. If he came into the current backline who would be better than him by foot? Rich certainly, Birchall sure given his option taking. After that I am not certain there is anyone else I would have more confidence in by foot. He is like Andrews in his composure and solid option taking. He does not bite off too much, just has composure and takes good options. There are not many weaknesses with him, he just needs some experience and he should now get it.

Good teams can win even struggling. We looked absolutely rooted against North and St Kilda yet still won. Against Collingwood we dominated the second quarter and looked set to blow the Pies away, only to lose two important pieces of our gameplan and changed our strategy mid game which meant winning & keeping Collingwood to a 60 year low score.

We can win ugly, we can win close games, we can change strategies mid game and can flog opposition. We've debuted six players and have dropped just two games since the season actually started.

I've got a lot of belief in this team. I have faith we'll win at least 2 of the next three games and set ourselves to in a strong position heading into finals

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Too true. But since then, Charlie has stopped kicking them, Dan hasn't started kicking them, Eric does many great things but hasn't been kicking them. We can do it, we just need to do it again. And again.

Further to the discussion above about source of goals I think we've lost a few in this period. No Rich for those games had a huge impact on our ball movement. Neale dropping way off in contested footy has hurt our clearances, especially the centre clearances which are usually a great source of goals. No Stef and a slow Zorko has made it tough to score goals from inside 50 stoppages.

On top of this our goal kicking and an out of form Charlie has really hurt.

I think Hipwood has been in great form though apart from goal kicking. One of our better contributors over that stretch of games.

Pikuks

Debutant
Aug 19, 2019
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good teams can win even struggling. We looked absolutely rooted against North and St Kilda yet still won. Against Collingwood we dominated the second quarter and looked set to blow the Pies away, only to lose two important pieces of our gameplan and changed our strategy mid game which meant winning & keeping Collingwood to a 60 year low score.

We can win ugly, we can win close games, we can change strategies mid game and can flog opposition. We've debuted six players and have dropped just two games since the season actually started.

I've got a lot of belief in this team. I have faith we'll win at least 2 of the next three games and set ourselves to in a strong position heading into finals
I think you got that right Nunez, except for the bit about flogging teams. Been missing for a while. But the sentiment and assessment is spot on. Just be good to see the attacking, precision game style we had against Port earlier this year. Gee that was good to watch.

Back