Opinion Has the MCG become a homogeneous ground ?

Have all the MCG redevelopments lessened its appeal?

• Total voters
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
You need 2 grounds in Melbourne as a minimum.
I'd prefer about three.
MCG and two more grounds out of inner city.
One in Northern suburbs and one in South-Eastern suburbs.
Three clubs use each of them as their homeground.
I do not think it going to happen.
We stuck with Docklands shithole and no grounds out of inner city for decades at minimum.
Outer suburbs people will never go to as much footy as they did in 70's, 80's and early 90's.

Allezjuel

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Prefer the MCG for footy, SCG for cricket.

I like the high vantage points at the MCG for footy, being up high you can see what is happening at pretty much any point in the ground. Also nothing like it with a big crowd from 2 big Melbourne clubs in a close game.

Don't rate if for cricket though, you're so far away from the pitch, and the atmosphere is really only good on Boxing Day or world cup games.

SCG though you still feel close to the pitch, it's also more picturesque having a view of the members/ladies stands for a whole day rather than a half full Great Southern Stand.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
I'd prefer about three.
MCG and two more grounds out of inner city.
One in Northern suburbs and one in South-Eastern suburbs.
Three clubs use each of them as their homeground.

I do not think it going to happen.
We stuck with Docklands shithole and no grounds out of inner city for decades at minimum.
Outer suburbs people will never go to as much footy as they did in 70's, 80's and early 90's.
As I said the 6 clubs playing in the outer suburbs would be alienating a good chuck of there supporter base. The fact was Waverly was s**t to get to for anyone who didn't live East or South of the city.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
As I said the 6 clubs playing in the outer suburbs would be alienating a good chuck of there supporter base. The fact was Waverly was s**t to get to for anyone who didn't live East or South of the city.
Nope, you would have a mix of home matches in the inner city and out in the suburbs. We already had this in the 80's. My club would often have about 4 matches at Waverley and many clubs did too. The fact is the league have alienated fans that used to go to matches where the inner city travel was just too much for them. Even more so with more night matches. The fact we now have only matches in inner city is just sad. Which is why I resent Docklands as it a really s**t situation that never needed to happen but profiteers that were not even football people roped Jackson into it. Which is another reason Docklands is such a shithole because designers not in it purely for football did not even take into account the direction the goals should be or problems with surface over a concrete underground carpark. It basically useless for day matches as the idiots have to close the roof on it because of the glare for television broadcast Absolute shithouse situation all thanks to legacy of Jackson.
Bulldoze the shithole and build grounds by football people and for football people.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Prefer the MCG for footy, SCG for cricket.

I like the high vantage points at the MCG for footy, being up high you can see what is happening at pretty much any point in the ground. Also nothing like it with a big crowd from 2 big Melbourne clubs in a close game.

Don't rate if for cricket though, you're so far away from the pitch, and the atmosphere is really only good on Boxing Day or world cup games.

SCG though you still feel close to the pitch, it's also more picturesque having a view of the members/ladies stands for a whole day rather than a half full Great Southern Stand.
The type of pitches at MCG is what makes it not as good for cricket. Last couple of times I went on Boxing Day it was like a dead pitches for batsmen and bowlers and not good for Test cricket.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
We already have the MCG. Bulldoze this Docklands profiteer inspired shithole. I hate the shithole.

We need to bulldoze Marvel first it’s just a stadium used for comic book movie advertisements with no soul.

‘We hate coming here’ - Damien Hardwick and Richmond Supporters.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Being from SA I do not miss Footy Park. That place sucked. In the middle of bum*idaho and nowhere to go after. Adelaide Oval is amazing.
West Lakes Footy Park was reminiscent of VFL park in that it felt cold and you felt a long way from the action.
Adelaide oval's so much better. Looks great, feels comfortable, it's a great venue to watch footy if you're on a wing on level 2. Not so much behind the goals because of its length.

The MCG is way better than Adelaide Oval.

Grass and trees and an old scoreboard in the middle of the most boring city in the world... boohoo
Having been born and raised and spent my young adult life in Melbourne (Richmond) then having lived much of the last 15 years in Adelaide, after a decade in the NT (probably relocating back to Richmond next year), I don't really get this statement, neither have I ever been able to glean why Adelaide is so boring by those who claim it.
Admittedly the people who claim that Adelaide is a boring shithole are amongst the most vanilla people I've ever met, and are probably a bit insecure about it. Perhaps they think that by Saying Adelaide is a very boring place, they think it makes them appear more interesting. I don't know.

Dee Train

Celebrating superiority since 2021
Aug 17, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
But the MCG isn't? Ones a big concrete bowl with a roof. The other is a bigger concrete bowl without a roof. Both are fairly generic, it's just that 1 is really big.
Maybe it’s because I haven’t been to a big game at Marvel perhaps, plus the MCG’s history adds something intangible to me. Mind you I’ve been to the old Cararra ground to watch the Bears v Dees in front of family and friends. Kids banging in the huge advertising boards was the most noise made all day!

a_fighting_fury

Premiership Player
May 7, 2007
Yarra Park
AFL Club
Richmond
"a homogenous"

homogenous is pronounced "ho-moh-gen-us", i.e. starting with a consonant.

IMG_5233.JPG

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe it’s because I haven’t been to a big game at Marvel perhaps, plus the MCG’s history adds something intangible to me. Mind you I’ve been to the old Cararra ground to watch the Bears v Dees in front of family and friends. Kids banging in the huge advertising boards was the most noise made all day!
Saints V Cats in 2009 and Pies V Crows in 2011 where we kicked 11 in the last quarter were 2 of the best atmosphere games ive been to. 50,000 with the roof on is like 100,000 when its pumping

Back