Has there ever been a game you just can't beat?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2008
Playing in traffic
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens
As the thread title says, do you have that one game (or games) that no matter how many times you try you just can't beat?

Tonight I went back to my old childhood nemesis Ecco the Dolphin. Still with about 25 years of trying I still can't beat it. That bloody dolphin has scared me for life.

Does anyone else have a game like this?

Anyone who has played Ghosts 'n Goblins and claims to have beaten it without a game genie is a dirty rotten lier.

It's a cool game but the difficulty is just ridiculous. The normal enemies are relentless, the bosses are ridiculous, the timers are unforgiving and the life system is just downright unfair.

Skyrim. Not for difficulty, but the sheer size of the game, too time consuming. I lose interest and move on to other games.

One day I'll get to it.

Could never "best" NBA Jam. You had to best every side IIRC and I played as Cleveland, could never best the Rockets. I'd be up by 20 at HT and they would sink everything and constantly be on fire, whilst all of my shots would bounce out straight to them.

Controller breaking stuff, although I was online about 10 I remember a lot of yelling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I farmed the s**t outta Rom, never understood why so many struggle. Easy to get summoned.
He is sooooo slow.

People get stuck on different bosses. Pretty sure I did Rom first shot, but got schooled by Father G more times than I can count, who I remember a lot of others beating with ease.

People get stuck on different bosses. Pretty sure I did Rom first shot, but got schooled by Father G more times than I can count, who I remember a lot of others beating with ease.

I get that, but I also get why people struggle with Father G mechanically. Difficult early game if you haven't got the parrying down pat. I just totally don't understand the trouble with Rom specifically. Just such a tame moveset.

Combat mechanics had worn pretty thin by that stage. Gonna have a bad time ignoring Roms ads, especially during his ice phases. As a Souls genre newbie the game felt more like a chore than actually fun. Would've been plenty like me who grabbed the game to justify the PS4 purchase, was the consoles first must buy game after all.

I dont doubt the boss is probably easy, i breezed through most of them up until that point. Just lost the patience for doing it the "correct" way.

Mostly old games. Modern games give you save points etc and are pretty hard not to finish.

Was never able to finish Alex Kidd in miracle world or Alex Kidd in the enchanted castle. Jurassic park for Mega drive I'd get stuck in the last boss fight for both the raptor and Alan Grant. Sonic 2 even though I did finish it the last eggman boss with no rings was a bloody bitch, he got me more often than not even if I has 20 lives left.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ikaruga.

i also don't like the term 'beat' if it's used synonymously with 'finish'. examples up-thread like skyrim or witcher- you don't beat these games, you finish them.

'beat' is more relevant to traditional arcade experiences, because those titles were designed to steal money off you. yes, these games still exist in the home entertainment space, but i disagree that any and every game is 'beaten'. to me, a title must be extremely difficult, even bordering on unfair, and require abnormal amounts of time/effort to finish before i would use the term. and now that i think of it, can't think of too many i have ever beaten, really. most recently, maybe the witness? (though let myself down by needing online assistance.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back