Welcome to East Germany JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't think North supporters hate Port because of JHF's actions.

Imagine Port getting #1 and him leaving.

We had Ollie Henry for two years and he left because he was homesick.
Lives an hours drive away.
Complete Muppet, tool. Mummies boy.

So you have an issue with young players leaving clubs earlier to move interstate.

Does that mean you were frustrated with Collingwood when Crisp, Adams and WHE requested a trade to Collingwood and back to Vic ?

Fat Jesus

Premium Platinum
Oct 22, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
So you have an issue with young players leaving clubs earlier to move interstate.

Does that mean you were frustrated with Collingwood when Crisp, Adams and WHE requested a trade to Collingwood and back to Vic ?
A minimum stay of 3 years for new draftees.
Quite simple but the AFL are daft.

Crisp Adams and WHE did their time.

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A minimum stay of 3 years for new draftees.
Quite simple but the AFL are daft.

I don’t think it’s just young players. It benefited us this time but players in contract should not be allowed to request a trade outside of exceptional circumstances.

They’re happy to front load and sign long term deals and then look for an escape when a better offer comes along later.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I don't think North supporters hate Port because of JHF's actions.

Imagine Port getting #1 and him leaving.

We had Ollie Henry for two years and he left because he was homesick.
Lives an hours drive away.
Complete Muppet, tool. Mummies boy.

I think Henry should have stayed at Collingwood , but is it not possible he went to Geelong partly because he would be guaranteed more senior games at the Cattery ? Ollie fell out of favour with McRae this season for whatever reason, but The Pies have many players who play in a similar position who are better than him (Elliott, De Goey, Ginnivan etc)

Don't think you really have the right label/judge him as a Muppet or Mummy's Boy.

The days of player undying loyalty to clubs and vice versa have gone the way of the Dodo.
It's up to clubs to try draft more astutely, especially players deemed as potential flight risks (The Eagles and GWS have publicly come and stated this, which I find refreshing)

Fat Jesus

Premium Platinum
Oct 22, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don’t think it’s just young players. It benefited us this time but players in contract should not be allowed to request a trade outside of exceptional circumstances.

They’re happy to front load and sign long term deals and then look for an escape when a better offer comes along later.
Agree. Unless a parent or family member is dying. A draft is a draft.
Minimum 3 years unless exceptional circumstances as you have stated.

It's not like I hate Port for getting him.

Fat Jesus

Premium Platinum
Oct 22, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think Henry should have stayed at Collingwood , but is it not possible he went to Geelong partly because he would be guaranteed more senior games at the Cattery ? Ollie fell out of favour with McRae this season for whatever reason, but The Pies have many players who play in a similar position who are better than him (Elliott, De Goey, Ginnivan etc)

Don't think you really have the right label/judge him as a Muppet or Mummy's Boy.

The days of player undying loyalty to clubs and vice versa have gone the way of the Dodo.
It's up to clubs to try draft more astutely, especially players deemed as potential flight risks (The Eagles and GWS have publicly come and stated this, which I find refreshing)
Ollie was getting games before injuries. McRae was also demanding forward pressure which was non existent from him.

AFL should be held to account over this. Minimum 3 years to the club that drafts you.

Otherwise a draft is a complete and utter joke

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For the club in question, better a kid leaves after 1 year than 3. 18 year old draftees rarely provide any meaningful return on investment until they've been in the system for 3 or 4 years.

I would rather my club lose a draftee after 1 year than after 3 or 4 years of club resources being put into his development, only for the new club to reap all the benefits.

The draft isn't a problem in my view as well managed clubs rarely lose draftees.

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’s amazing that every other player including interstate players like zurhaar re-signed

And only JHF wanted out

Think I know where the problem is, someone likes being tucked into bed every night

There's an obvious reason for that......they get paid more at North to produce less.

Clubs have to pay 95% or whatever it is of the salary cap. Most North players wouldn't get a game at other clubs and those that do would be paid much less.

Based on performance, North should be paying about half its salary cap, if it were allowed to.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
It’s amazing that every other player including interstate players like zurhaar re-signed

And only JHF wanted out

Think I know where the problem is, someone likes being tucked into bed every night
Of course Cam did.
He would have been compensated significantly more than any other club would have been willing to pay.

What TT is on is obscene for his output and attitude. Logue got an offer he couldn’t refuse.
Even guys like CCJ who can’t get a game at other clubs gets a 4 year deal worth over $1.6m.

Money talks when you don’t have much else.
This is indicative of the plight of a bottom club over the last 20 years.

TheBigHorne

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2022
Don't ask me about my username
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles, 76ers, Phillies
Not sure what the point of potting him at this point is from wherever or whoever. It's his choice, sure he said things about loyalty but people are allowed to change their opinions on things, as everyone does at some point. He got offered 800k x 6. That's life changing money right there. He was in his full rights to accept it. I know I would take that, even if it meant going to a club I wanted to believe in.

Going by supposed inside knowledge on both sides, both have parts to blame in the falling out, however more can be blamed on North. It's good that if he left, he left when his trade value was at it's peak (which was this year) and we managed to get two firsts with one being a top 3 draft pick.

We have new coaches and a new CEO coming in so it should be a fresh start, hopefully this crew can restore North to being a competent club.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
[QUOTE="TheBigHorne, post: 77423149, member: 211952" It's good that if he left, he left when his trade value was at it's peak (which was this year) and we managed to get two firsts with one being a top 3 draft pick.
[/QUOTE]]

Pick 3 and a future first between 8-12 wasn't the best return for JHF.

Rachele, pick 5 and 13 for JHF and 19 is a much better return by a long way.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Ollie was getting games before injuries. McRae was also demanding forward pressure which was non existent from him.

AFL should be held to account over this. Minimum 3 years to the club that drafts you.

I agree, but unfortunately I think Player Managers and especially the Players Associtation are going to be very difficult to convince about lifting the initial contract of draftees to 3 years (especially first round picks)

There is a lot to blame the AFL for, but in this instance Player Power and especially managers looking to line their pockets are the ones to be held mostly accountable

TheBigHorne

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I agree, but unfortunately I think Player Managers and especially the Players Associtation are going to be very difficult to convince about lifting the initial contract of draftees to 3 years (especially first round picks)

There is a lot to blame the AFL for, but in this instance Player Power and especially managers looking to line their pockets are the ones to be held mostly accountable
The salary cap floor is an absolute rort and solving that first would go a long way to equalisation IMO. A lot more to help than whether draftees leave after one or two years.

I'm in favour of 4 years for players taken in the first round (whilst the rest stays the same). Since most players, even the good ones aren't showing much when they're 20 years old. If they're 22 then you should have gotten at least some good output from them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
4 years compulsory will never happen. Workers have rights. Just can't do that.

My advice to North and Gold Coast is to stop being such a s**t clubs on and off field. Do that and you'll retain good players and even attract good players.

TheBigHorne

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
4 years compulsory will never happen. Workers have rights. Just can't do that.

My advice to North and Gold Coast is to stop being such a s**t clubs on and off field. Do that and you'll retain good players and even attract good players.
Because Ollie Henry left a s**t club right? I mean we mostly have good player retention and generally keep players we want to keep.

Then by that rationale, the system is not broken.

Except for the shameful pile on for a teenager who didn't fit the club he went to.
He's an adult who broke a contract and fed us a line of bullshit beforehand, while not giving 100%.

TheBigHorne

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Then by that rationale, the system is not broken.

Except for the shameful pile on for a teenager who didn't fit the club he went to.
When it comes to the 4 year deal I'm not advocating on North or Collingwood's behalf since it doesn't happen to them outside of this year. It's for GC and more-so GWS who lose a 2nd year player every year it seems.

We're getting off track here anyways so let's cut it here.

masai tu

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle

Agree with the 3 year draft principle.

I have no cards in the JHF move, but he at least gets one point from me for actually moving to North in the first place. A lot of players make it abundantly clear that they don’t want to move, so they have zero points in this area.

To me JHF has some moral ground over Perkins, Murphy, Smith etc.

Yep he “bailed” on North, but we’ll revisit this thread in 3 years. See how JHF is rolling then.

If I was North I’d be more concerned about the fact that none of the senior players were the ones chasing or putting in effort during all those 10 goal losses.

Instead of only holding an 18 year old to account for his drop in performance how about you blast Norths senior players for not putting in any effort.

It’s not an 18 year old role to be a leader at a new club - that’s for the senior players who didn’t want to pull their weight so why should he?

He’s not a scape goat for the rest of their rubbish performances.
For most of that period we covered more ground than any other side - chasing the opposition. It was s**t but not lazy.

Unlike old soft calves.

Anyway if he didn't want to show leadership he should play the position he was told - not sook about it, follow instructions and not tell VFL players to ignore what the senior leaders said.

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For most of that period we covered more ground than any other side - chasing the opposition. It was s**t but not lazy.

Unlike old soft calves.

Anyway if he didn't want to show leadership he should play the position he was told - not sook about it, follow instructions and not tell VFL players to ignore what the senior leaders said.

Mate give it up, even Paul Roos has come out and given North a serve for their lack of leadership and culture at the club. Why would any young kid want to stay there? He’s clearly not the issue. North can look to make him a scape goat all they want. Just means they won’t improve for even longer.

“When asked if he would continue at North Melbourne next year, Roos' answer was no surprise.

"No, and I think it's best for both parties to be honest."

"I've learned a lot, it's just reaffirmed my views on leadership and culture and all the things that I know, and things that if you don't get right, you're going to be a really bad footy team and that's what I've learned at North Melbourne."

TheBigHorne

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Mate give it up, even Paul Roos has come out and given North a serve for their lack of leadership and culture at the club. Why would any young kid want to stay there? He’s clearly not the issue. North can look to make him a scape goat all they want. Just means they won’t improve for even longer.

“When asked if he would continue at North Melbourne next year, Roos' answer was no surprise.

"I've learned a lot, it's just reaffirmed my views on leadership and culture and all the things that I know, and things that if you don't get right, you're going to be a really bad footy team and that's what I've learned at North Melbourne."

Most of the article was directed at Noble and the coaching staff it seems.

Anyways, I think most North fans aren't blaming JHF for all of the problems at the club, he seems to be a minor factor in the collapse of the club on field. JHF's position at the club was untenable and I'm glad we moved on quickly and so is he (most likely).

The problems at the club can be blamed culturally wise (how is Ziebell still captain), bad luck, list management and coaching.

i thought I'd replied to this.

Anyway Roos was paid by the club to develop leadership and culture two years ago. Its been his job since and if those things are in a s**t state how the hell does he get away with washing his hands of the problem and walking away? Seems like a consistent theme among soft campaigners who can't go the distance...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back