Opinion Has this season made you reconsider the standard 23 Round Model?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speak for yourself again mate.

Coll-Carl-Ess-Rich all have rivalries with one another.

Geelong-Hawthorn have a rivarly.

The rest don't really have rivalries though.
Key word 'most'.

Like I said there are only a couple with historic value nowadays. Collingwood-Carlton. Geelong-Hawthorn. Collingwood-Richmond.

Essendon-Richmond isn't a historic rivalry. Its a marquee game created by Kevin Sheedy.

Key word 'most'.

Like I said there are only a couple with historic value nowadays. Collingwood-Carlton. Geelong-Hawthorn. Collingwood-Richmond.

Essendon-Richmond isn't a historic rivalry. Its a marquee game created by Kevin Sheedy.
But add in Freo v West Coast, Adelaide v Port and i guess the norther teams against each other and you still have 7 out of 9 games that you can fill a rivarly round with.

But add in Freo v West Coast, Adelaide v Port and i guess the norther teams against each other and you still have 7 out of 9 games that you can fill a rivarly round with.
Yeah I should've clarified in my original post I was just talking about Vic rivalries due to them being around much longer than interstate teams. My bad.

People who support both the 17 round season & shorter 16 minute quarters are doing so to try and make themselves look smart and trendy because shorter seasons and game time is what a lot of other sports do overseas.

Why? So we can watch a heap of extra duds get games while guns get rested every few weeks?

A lot of duds are duds because the subsequent leagues aren’t fit to develop them. Want more top line players, give more players experience. Look at Levi, useless for years and now is a gun. Would never have got there if he was forced to develop to AFL standard otherwise.

Firstly, I'm reasonably content with a 22 game season, although it could be improved.

If we were to shorten or lengthen the season, I'd be in favour of a move from 22 to 24 games, but within the same footprint as previous seasons from about March 20 to the end of September.

Your extra 2 games (1 home and 1 away) would be inserted into the autumn and winter school holidays midweek. You'd be grouped with 5 other clubs and play each other over 5 rounds so as to keep the breaks between games similar to each other. With school holidays staggered across the states, 3 games midweek for 3 weeks is achievable.

I have to say I do find the shortened matches ... just a fraction short.

I don't think the AFL will be considering 17 round seasons - more likely 28+ round seasons of shorter game duration. Especially if they get the HUB scenario to work. I could imagine WC playing 6 games in a month in Melbourne.

Between 2 good teams It's atleast 2-3 minutes too short per quarter.

I just don't see a 34 game season being sustainable.

With the normal format the top 8 is already set in stone half way way through.

A side like Collingwood this season could have their list wiped out with still 20 games to play.

Personally I think teams should play each other twice in a season, once at home, once away. but with only 12 teams in the league... basically the most financially viable teams with the largest supporter bases first..

tigers
Hawks
Crows
Geelong
Lions
WC
Collingwood
Sydney
Carlton

3 last teams made from the remaining teams can merge together and form in states outside victoria.

all teams have 60 players on their list and all teams have a reserves team that plays on the same day as the best 22 team against the same opponent. Same oval before the main game.

Top 6 qualify for finals.

Probably a controversial one... but still.. just my opinion..

the league cannot continue to carry financially unviable clubs and expect to survive well into the future.. the hard decisions need to be made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of duds are duds because the subsequent leagues aren’t fit to develop them. Want more top line players, give more players experience. Look at Levi, useless for years and now is a gun. Would never have got there if he was forced to develop to AFL standard otherwise.
I disagree. Sure there are some hidden gems playing lower levels right now but the talent pool isn't massive.

I just won't ever see how having extra games and having an NBA like situation where players and teams are looking for any excuse to rest stars as a good thing. People just won't bother watching or going to a lot of games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back