gocatsgo

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Reading
Someone down Arden Street is getting a little greedy (and it isn't Leigh Colbert).

The latest is Hasleby for Bell

NOT BLOODY LIKELY!

gocatsgo,

I just think that the kangaroos are taking a different tack to Adelaide.

The crows were very worried that if they could not agree to a trade with Hawthorn, he would go to either St Kilda or Collingwood for nothing via the pre-season draft.

In doing so, they probably gave Rehn away for less than what he was worth. (Not that a round 1 draft pick is too bad)

The kangaroos have taken the other perspective. Rather than just accept the first trade available, they are playing hard ball with the dockers. And fair enough too.

Why shouldn't North aim for a guy like Haselby? Quite clearly the dockers would not even contemplate losing Haselby but at least it might force them into not only give away their first draft pick but another highly regarded player (and not just some hack who can't get a game with the dockers).

There are going to be some very interesting days before the trading period ends.

Lets see

yyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Seems fair to me.

Bell is a 2x premiership player, had a leadership role at North, possible future captain at North, (definately vice) and is still relatively young.

Not all Norrish Rising Star winners go on to become great footballers - Chris Scott is a case in point.

Michele

You are right, not all Norwich Rising Star winners go on but not all 1st year players average 25 touches a game in an ordinary side either.

Hasleby will go on to be one of the best footballers in the AFL and the best thing is he wants to play for us.

But North will play hardball and anyone in their situation will do the same. They will make the Dockers sweat it out. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.
The stupid thing is that every year there is huge names up for grabs and yet hardly anyone moves.

FreoRules

Haselby did have a great first season, but we really don't know how good a player is until they've played three seasons in the competition. Next year, there will be much more planning by the opposition on how to contain Haselby. Other youngsters like Green, Fraser, Ramanaskus, etc. can expect to be put under the same microscope. So in essence, with Bell, Freo will be getting a proven performer. With North, we'll be getting someone who has shown great potential in their first season, but is still an unknown quantity going forward. There have been plenty of players in the VFL/AFL who have had stellar first seasons before fading away.

Its stupid let North pile on the pressure and just wait it out, eventually north will have to give in or lose him for nothing so they should take whats on the table. A Haselby trade is just silly everyone knows that the dockers aint gonna give him up.

Freo have offered picks number 6 and 7 and also Heath Black.......thats more than enough if you ask me.

Shinboners

First of all, you won't get Hasleby. I understand that the Dockers have offered Callaghan, one other player and picks 6 and 7 but the stumbling block is Heath Black. The Roos want him and the Dockers don't want to give him up plus two picks in the draft.
As for Hasleby, he was tagged after racking up 34 possessions in his first game and was targeted by each club that he met. Also he came into the season not fully fit and it took him time to get his fitness up. He will only improve with time and despite all the taggers he got each week he still managed over 25 possessions. He too will also be able to learn how to break tags and develop physically which will make him more difficult to stop.

I can see it will be a hectic Monday and Tuesday this week.

The information i have is that Fremantle have offered Craig Callaghan, another player to be announced (possibly Black) and a high draft pick.
In theory that is an even trade, however, Craig Callaghan and Heath Black are just average players, who will struggle to get a run in the Kangaroos team on a weekly basis.
While the high draft pick is good, there is no garuantee for the 'Roos that their draft pick will be a brilliant footballer.

------------------
For all your footballing needs be sure to visit my AFL web-site at http://www.geocities.com/eastsydney5/index.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back