Hate to lose, but...

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
They had a dip, just a few too many mistakes.
We were playing a pretty decent side too, admittedly on our paddock.
Warren and Ross were very good, should hold their spots, as was Hamish.
Wright was ok, Ziebell we know is a gun but he looks sore. Rest him.
Thrown Hansen, Pratt and Campbell into the mix next week and we are better again (Thomas to go). Hopefully Gav is fit.
Grima has already shown he can play AFL footy.
Then we can look forward to Anthony, hopefully JWS, and Tarrant getting a crack at some point. Some class there. Maybe Garlett and Benjamin if things pan out.
Goldstein has some genuine talent, he'll get more chances.
Greenwood has been disappointing, but I'd be inclined to give him another chance, to see if he can make the transition to AFL footy.
It's not all bad news.
Although I am worried about "no Power, no North".:D

Thrown Hansen, Pratt and Campbell into the mix next week and we are better again (Thomas to go). Hopefully Gav is fit.
Then we can look forward to Anthony, hopefully JWS, and Tarrant getting a crack at some point. Some class there. Maybe Garlett and Benjamin if things pan out.
Greenwood has been disappointing, but I'd be inclined to give him another chance, to see if he can make the transition to AFL footy.
It's not all bad news.

Good summation Scotty! :thumbsu:
Where is Liam Anthony at, in regards to his recovery? I think it would be handy to get a few games under his belt, sooner, rather than later! :)

Let's face it, we were crap. Brisbane shut up shop in the second half of the last 1/4. It could have been a 6 or 8 goal loss, IMHO.

We had so many players down. I was very disappointed with Hale. He is our focal point and yet he is beaten pointless almost every time. I know the delivery to him is rubbish at times, but give me a break. He was playing on some kid I've never heard of and the kid gave him an absolute bath.

Aaron Edwards was not much better.

And we have developed a new handball strategy: don't kick it, handball it to a player who is standing still, with his opponent standing right beside him.

It's not all bad news.

i think the umps had a bad day too that fufty that should have been paid to wright was a shocker compared to the one petrie gave which was joke . that was a turning point

We had so many players down. I was very disappointed with Hale. He is our focal point and yet he is beaten pointless almost every time. I know the delivery to him is rubbish at times, but give me a break. He was playing on some kid I've never heard of and the kid gave him an absolute bath.

Agree. I think our forward line is our biggest problem at the moment. They're trying to find a structure with the players they want in the team rather than building a winning structure. I'm completely underwhelmed with Hale as a forward and remain convinced that even though he'll have days out it's not a long term solution.

And we have developed a new handball strategy: don't kick it, handball it to a player who is standing still, with his opponent standing right beside him.

Preferably to his ankles if possible.

Let's face it, we were crap. Brisbane shut up shop in the second half of the last 1/4. It could have been a 6 or 8 goal loss, IMHO.

I think he has taken his role as "focal point" literally. Does he move?? "I'm gonna stand here and be tall" Dave even had the nerve to bark at a few players for not kicking the ball to him! Standing there pointing but really wanting the ball delivered on a pilow into his hands is nowhere near good enough. Ben Warren kicks 4 because he runs and leads and works for them and does not rest on his focal point! Give Warren the contract extension.

Good summation scotty.

i think the umps had a bad day too that fufty that should have been paid to wright was a shocker compared to the one petrie gave which was joke . that was a turning point

They weren't the only inconsistent decisions that cost us today either - the clear Jack Ziebell mark that wasn't paid is another example. Unfortunately every one of these decisions cost us a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I lost my shyt at that point. Apologies to anyone sitting in Aisle 32. Then for the mark not paid to Ziebell followed by a blatant holding the ball seconds later and then a goal to Brisbane... oh yes the little green men were on the take today.

I didn't understand that holding the ball decision not paid. I have no understanding of what the umpire thought happened.

Come on, that bait's not for you.

Seriously, I have no idea who plays what games with whom on here. I just see this bloke who hasn't seen a game in god knows how long (through no fault of his own, granted, but it's fact) writing as if he's got more answers than RDB C1975. It's boring.

Back to the thread, it's actually bloody exciting at the moment. Lachie was looking sensational in the early part of the year, Matty Campbell has shown how much he means to the side already and you hear all the time how keen everyone is to see Robbie on the track. Liam Anthony was showing great signs in the pre-season. These guys are all still to come back.

Yeah, we're on track for a low finish but I prefer to think that we're looking at a top-six pick. It might be defeatist, but that's how the system works. How many of us are going to worry about that lost final to the Swans in 10 years when Jack has won his fourth B&F? We win that game and he's headed to Sydney.

I look forward to the day that I go into a finals series thinking we have a genuine shot at a flag. We haven't done that for a decade. Get another top-five or six pick, and I reckon that time won't be far away.

I agree our forward structure is the problem, its just too packed. With all our forwards leading to the same ball. I have no idea why our forward line hasnt been assessed by the coaching stuff. I'd like to see a 4-5 man forward line at max not 7-8. Give our crumbing forwards a chance and hale/edwards a real go at the ball.

Our midfield battled well today and we just didnt capitalise.

Get another top-five or six pick, and I reckon that time won't be far away.

This is why the chronic injuries to JWS have killed us. Add him into the midfield, and suddenly, we've got options - Wells, Ziebell, and JWS is a damn good midfield trio. Add McIntosh feeding the ball, and it's bloody magnificent. All sides can shut down one gun midfielder, and most can cover two. But when you've got three, things get tricky.

Watching the team, you can see individuals and parts of the team working well. But where we're failing is that we're not operating as a unit. It's as if the defence, midfield, and forwards were taken from three totally different teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back