Ghost/Paranormal Haunted houses

Troubadour

Cancelled
Jun 19, 2010
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
A few years ago, a friend from high school was getting married in Hobart with a reception at Rydges which overlooks North Hobart Oval. The oval was a housing site for female convicts in the 1850's. Most of the Rydges complex is fairly unattractive and decor is decidedly 1980's. However several of the buildings are heritage listed and date back to a similar era to the convict usage of the oval next door.

I had missed this mate's first wedding so made the effort to get to his second. Mrs Nightrain and I had booked into the oldest section of the hotel in what was basically a cottage split into two. From the rear of the cottage, our side had a kitchen/dining area, a large bedroom, complete with period workbench, largish bathroom and a lounge room at the front, all opening to the right off a long hallway, much like a terrace house.

We got into the spirit of things between the ceremony and the reception considering we only had a two minute walk to the reception and then back to our accommodation. Reception was reasonably tame and we continued to partake of the beverages on offer until it was time to retire to Casa Nightrain.

Some time during the wee hours I berated Mrs Nightrain for leaving the hallway lights ablaze following a trip to the bathroom. She said she hadn't been to the bathroom and certainly hadn't turned the lights on. The lights were turned off but came back on some time later. The toilet also kept flushing and the lid kept changing positions in between visits resulting in vigorous discussion the next morning.

While it was nothing major we were quite perplexed by the strange goings on in our overnight stay. Could have been weird wiring and poor memory, but it was certainly something that stayed with us.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Next time I'm up in Melbourne I'm going to take a trip to Canterbury. Can't be that many old homesteads opposite primary schools.
I've been trying so hard. I live in Canterbury and am fascinated by grizzlym's stories. Looking all over google maps as well at all the schools etc. It's doing my fking head in

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
One interesting haunted house story I heard was about a house in the Hollywood Hills. It was purchased in the early 2000s by young pop-star Britney Spears, who apparently never felt comfortable after moving there fearing it was haunted and vacated the house at short notice. It was then sold to actress Brittany Murphy, who lived at the house with her husband Simon Monjack and Murphy's mother. Brittany Murphy collapsed in the house with respiratory problems and died when admitted to hospital in 2009; her husband Simon died at the property exactly the same way in mid 2010. Some sources claim that in the months leading up to her death, Brittany Murphy became afraid of the house, was planning to put it on the market and would make up no end of excuses not to spend the night there.

Obviously I don't know all the details and am not 100 percent sold on the house being haunted, but it is a bit strange. Suggestions were made that the house was infested by mold and this caused the apprehension of Britney Spears and led to the ill health and subsequent premature deaths of Murphy and Monjack, but this was checked and there was apparently no evidence of mold at the property. Moreover, Murphy's mother was living at the house when her daughter and son-in-law died and if there was a mold problem should have at least shown signs of ill health, but she did not.

Adding to the unhappy history of the house is that it has been purchased and sold quite a few times since the deaths at the property over a decade ago despite its desirable location and that it underwent a full renovation in the mid 2010s. Again, not proof of haunting, but strange regardless.

One only hopes that if actress Brittany Snow is looking at real estate in the Hollywood Hills area that she keeps driving by this house.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am close by. What’s this Canterbury house you speak of?
Read the last couple pages of this thread

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
There is a complete random giant derelict hospital in my town.

Like, a full on massive hospital. It's been smashed up and sh*t. Homeless people are known to live in there. Went in there at night with a few mates, absolutely shat myself.

Not haunted, but there's something eerie about hospitals. Hospitals are ****ing scary.

This sounds exactly like the abandoned Royal Alexandria Hospital in Paisley, Scotland (just west of Glasgow). I had the chance last year to buy an apartment in the old nurses' quarters within the hospital grounds. It was a good place and at a good price, but I wasn't going to take the risk.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
When I was 11 years old, my grandparents had s small dog I was close to. He died and they got a new dog. I visited them again and slept in the front room with my grandmother and heard a dog walking and sniffling in the room after we had all gone to bed. The new dog was locked out of the house 20 metres away so it couldn't have been him. Any thoughts?

Apr 28, 2021
Paddy's Pub
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
All Blacks
When I was 11 years old, my grandparents had s small dog I was close to. He died and they got a new dog. I visited them again and slept in the front room with my grandmother and heard a dog walking and sniffling in the room after we had all gone to bed. The new dog was locked out of the house 20 metres away so it couldn't have been him. Any thoughts?
Was your old dog buried at an ancient Indian burial ground nearby?

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.

Sleep paralysis ?

Back