Prediction Have a go at the top 20 on draft night.

Remove this Banner Ad

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I have turned into a draft nut since I have been on big footy and love all the speculation and assessments of players. There are a lot of phantom drafts on the dedicated board but I thought it would be fun to have our own Lions version to see who gets the closest. My top 20, not necessarily who I rate in order but who I see going where based on my very amateur analysis.

1) Lions- Cameron Rayner.
2) Dockers- Luke Davies-Uniacke.
3) Blues- Adam Cerra.
4) Kangaroos- Paddy Dow.
5) Dockers- Andrew Brayshaw.
6) Magpies- Aaron Naughton.
7) Saints- Nick Coffield.
8) Saints- Jaidyn Stephenson.
9) Bulldogs- Hunter Clark.
10) Blues- Aiden Bonar.
11) Giants- Jack Higgins.
12) Crows- Darcy Fogarty.
13) Eagles- Jarrod Brander.
14) Swans- Lochie O'Brien.
15) Lions- Charlie Constable.
16) Bulldogs- Lachlan Fogarty.
17) Tigers- Oscar Allen.
18) Lions- Zac Bailey.
19) Suns- Joel Garner.
20) Tigers- Noah Balta.

Would love the top 20 of- briztoon jjami15 Quigley lionshine cotter101 Comeback Lions SizeMatters POBT jackess pulpdriver .

The above are who IIRC are fellow draft nuts, apologies if I have forgotten anyone off the top of my head, I'm sure I have.

I have turned into a draft nut since I have been on big footy and love all the speculation and assessments of players. There are a lot of phantom drafts on the dedicated board but I thought it would be fun to have our own Lions version to see who gets the closest. My top 20, not necessarily who I rate in order but who I see going where based on my very amateur analysis.

1) Lions- Cameron Rayner.
2) Dockers- Luke Davies-Uniacke.
3) Blues- Adam Cerra.
4) Kangaroos- Paddy Dow.
5) Dockers- Andrew Brayshaw.
6) Magpies- Aaron Naughton.
7) Saints- Nick Coffield.
8) Saints- Jaidyn Stephenson.
9) Bulldogs- Hunter Clark.
10) Blues- Aiden Bonar.
11) Giants- Jack Higgins.
12) Crows- Darcy Fogarty.
13) Eagles- Jarrod Brander.
14) Swans- Lochie O'Brien.
15) Lions- Charlie Constable.
16) Bulldogs- Lachlan Fogarty.
17) Tigers- Oscar Allen.
18) Lions- Zac Bailey.
19) Suns- Joel Garner.
20) Tigers- Noah Balta.

Would love the top 20 of- briztoon jjami15 Quigley lionshine cotter101 Comeback Lions SizeMatters POBT jackess pulpdriver .

The above are who IIRC are fellow draft nuts, apologies if I have forgotten anyone off the top of my head, I'm sure I have.
lol I'm having enough problems working out pick 1. I'm genuinely flip flopping between Rayner and LDU. And as mentioned on the recent Roar Deal podcast, get one pick wrong and the whole thing cascades from there. Right now, I run two potential first round mocks through my head based on who the first pick is. And then it's hard to divorce myself from personal favourites, cough Worpel cough, and where they fit realistically rather where I hope they get drafted.

Had a crack a few weeks ago on the D&T board predicted top 10 thread. Slight change to top 10 and I'll add up to 20 to see how I go.

Edited. Let's see how this one goes.

1. Brisbane - Rayner
2. Fremantle - LDU
3. Carlton - Dow
4. North - Cerra
5. Fremantle - Brayshaw
6. Collingwood - Fogarty
7. Saints - Coffield
8. Saints - Clark
9. Dogs - Naughton
10. Blues - Bonar
11. GWS - Richards
12. Adelaide - O'Brien
13. WCE - Murphy
14. Sydney - Stephenson
15. Brisbane - L.Fogarty
16. Dogs - Higgins
17. Richmond - Bailey
18. Brisbane - Allen
19. GCS - Ballard
20. Richmond - Brander

Last edited:

**** it. Edited to put Worpel in at 18. If Lions draft Rayner first, much more realistic that Worpel gets looked at, at pick 18. Went with Geelong Falcons duo at 15 and 18. Apparently the Lions recruiters have watched a lot of the Falcons according to one draft watcher.

1) Lions- Luke Davies-Uniacke
2) Dockers- Adam Cerra
3) Blues- Cam Rayner
4) Kangaroos- Paddy Dow
5) Dockers- Andrew Brayshaw
6) Magpies- Nic Coffield
7) Saints- Jaidyn Stephenson
8) Saints- Hunter Clark
9) Bulldogs- Aiden Bonar
10) Blues- Charlie Constable
11) Giants- Jack Higgins
12) Crows- Darcy Fogarty
13) Eagles- Oscar Allen
14) Swans- Nathan Murphy
15) Lions- Matthew Ling
16) Bulldogs- Lochie O'Brien
17) Tigers- Jarrod Brander
18) Lions- James Worpel
19) Suns- Lachlan Fogarty
20) Tigers- Sam Hayes

Last edited:
I'll wait till Callum Twomey does his final phantom, then cut and paste it.

He's got a really good record.

If I recall correctly, he got the first 14 out of 14 correct in the 2013 draft that was held at the Broadbeach Convention Centre . Then Sydney stuffed it up for him by taking Z Jones at 15.
yeah I expect the experts to do really well when they release their phantom a day before the draft. Still though, he has had a great track record but I feel he gets almost all his info from clubs as evident by the recent podcast by the Lions.

**** it. Edited to put Worpel in at 18. If Lions draft Rayner first, much more realistic that Worpel gets looked at, at pick 18. Went with Geelong Falcons duo at 15 and 18. Apparently the Lions recruiters have watched a lot of the Falcons according to one draft watcher.

2) Dockers- Adam Cerra
3) Blues- Cam Rayner
4) Kangaroos- Paddy Dow
6) Magpies- Nic Coffield
8) Saints- Hunter Clark
9) Bulldogs- Aiden Bonar
11) Giants- Jack Higgins
12) Crows- Darcy Fogarty
13) Eagles- Oscar Allen
14) Swans- Nathan Murphy
15) Lions- Matthew Ling
18) Lions- James Worpel
20) Tigers- Sam Hayes
Where do you see Naughton going?

Where do you see Naughton going?
That's the one player I struggled with.

Just don't see the Lions going for a tall defender, when we have Ballenden and Payne waiting in the wings.

I also believe we'll see the Lions follow the league trend of playing two talls at either end, with Andrews and McSaty as the key defenders with Payne, Eagles and Frost as the reserves. With Gardner as a third tall if match up requires it, otherwise I'd like to see us play Robertson as a mobile third tall or shut down defender roll on opposing teams medium forwards, who is also able to push in to midfield.

I believe pick 6 to Collingwood is to far of a reach. Considered Adelaide at 12, but figured they take the home town kid to avoid any possible future go home factor. Though I believe Naughton would be happy in Vic (Collingwood).

Believe West Coast are more likely to go Allen with the highly rated mids all gone. The Bulldogs at 16 was another possibility, but think they stick to their liking for players with speed and good/elite kicking. Richmond go best KPF at 17 available and then best ruck option at 20.

Don't see Brisbane or Gold coast going a tall at 18 or 19. Incidentally, originally had Zac Bailey at 18.

Maybe Geelong, North or Richmond around the 24, 25, 26 mark.

1. Brisbane - Rayner
2. Fremantle - LDU
3. Carlton - Dow
4. North - Cerra
5. Fremantle - Stephenson
6. Collingwood - Naughton
7. Saints - Brayshaw
8. Saints - Coffield
9. Dogs - D. Fogarty
10. Blues - Clark
11. GWS - Higgins
12. Adelaide - Bonar
13. WCE - Murphy
14. Sydney - Brander
15. Brisbane - Constable
16. Dogs - O'Brien
17. Richmond - Allen
18. Brisbane - L. Fogarty
19. GCS - Worpel
20. Richmond - Richards

2) Dockers- Adam Cerra
3) Blues- Cam Rayner
4) Kangaroos- Paddy Dow
6) Magpies- Nic Coffield
8) Saints- Hunter Clark
9) Bulldogs- Aiden Bonar
11) Giants- Jack Higgins
12) Crows- Darcy Fogarty
13) Eagles- Oscar Allen
14) Swans- Nathan Murphy
15) Lions- Matthew Ling
18) Lions- James Worpel
20) Tigers- Sam Hayes
Interesting that you have us taking Matthew Ling at 15 with Lochie O'Brien still on the board. Similar players with most rating O'Brien in front, why'd you plump for Ling briz?

Interesting that you have us taking Matthew Ling at 15 with Lochie O'Brien still on the board. Similar players with most rating O'Brien in front, why'd you plump for Ling briz?
Ling isn't afraid of the contest, and will go get it inside. I can't find it, but some one posted a video in the last couple of days, where it's a clip of Ling running in to a contested midfield grabbing a loose bouncing ball at full speed and weaving his way through a dozen players out the side of the contest at full pelt, taking a bounce, running to 50 and kicking the ball inside 50. It's a great bit of action shot from up high, so you really see his pace and agility through the middle of the field, but it also highlights Ling is not afraid to go get it and put his body amongst the big kids.

Also Ling is a willing tackler playing off the hbf.

As has been mentioned, O'Brien doesn't have a great contested side to his game.

This is an interesting exercise and it’s difficult to do as you read and hear things and it does sway your thinking so, yes, it has influenced my decision making.

1. Lions - LDU, this is my personal preference. It will be interesting which way the club actually goes but for me when the club says we will draft mids then he is the best. Had a really flat patch through the national champs but he also was played up forward for large parts. Has some work to do but which draftee doesn’t.
2. Freo - Rayner, he and LDU are the top two players and with their pick 5 they can target a pure midfielder IMO. Not totally sold on him personally and think he can go either way as a Petracca type or a Colin Sylvia.
3. Carlton - Dow, could be Cerra here but Dow is the better of the inside mids and Cripps needs help on the inside.
4. North - Cerra, some other names are being linked here e.g. Fogarty but think that they will go mid and next year is where North will look to attain a KPF type. 5. Freo - Brayshaw, do Freo need KPD (Naughton)? They just delisted a bunch so maybe and Johnston is getting long in the tooth. Brayshaw has rocketed up the boards and is quite the professional so think they’ll be quite happy with Rayner and Brayshaw.
6. Collingwood - Fogarty, with Moore going back I can’t see them getting a KPD in Naughton but then again Carlton’s rebuild started from the backline. Fogarty is a compelling case, still no1 in some people’s opinions and will be a smaller KPF but will be a good fit at Pies. This pick here will have further impacts and if they don’t pick him here can’t see him getting past Carlton’s 10.
7. Saints - Stephenson, think that outside class is something they need. Can’t see him falling any further.
8. Saints - Bonar, this kid would have been right under their noses for years and even though he has had his knee issue I reckon that they will take the punt.
9. W.B. - Coffield, Murphy and Boyd retirements need that there is a need for further help down back. Coffield will fill this need.
10. Carlton - Constable, have heard that SOS likes his Hailebury players. Think that it will be out of him and Hunter here. Bit early possibly but again it’s building that inside brigade for Carlton. As already noted Fogarty won’t get past here is still in the board.
11. GWS - Higgins, have NFI when it comes to this pick. Just feel that small forward is something they desperately need. Not a big fan of Higgins, personally. 12. Crows - Brander, Hunter has been linked here and highly likely but with Lever leaving think that they will look for a replacement.
13. WCE - Allen, classy kid. Third tall forward but reckon that he will be projected to play midfield.
14. Swans - Murphy, who? Know nothin about him from what I’ve read so have nothing really to go on.
15. Lions - Clark- dream scenario really. But in real life can’t see it happening. Carlton at 10 and Crows pick will decide if he makes it this far.
16. Dogs - L.Fogarty, out of us and Dogs, and if the others on the board are gone I reckon we will jump.
17. Tigers - Balta, talls are needed for Richmond
18. Lions - Petruccelle, just a gut feel. Would rather others but think we will go early on him here. Nobles statement about Gabba playing fast and also that Witherden’s probable move into the midfield I feel that we can take a punt.
19. GCS - O’Brien, outside class and could play as a HBF and deadly left foot.
20. Richmond - Hayes, not a lot of ruck forward depth at the Tigers and just getting lazy.

Most probably no help or anything to go on. Just on Twomey, he waits until the last minute and does use his inside goss prior to making his call so he’s not really a Nostradamus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll give it a go.

1. Rayner
2. LDU
3. Dow
4. Cerra
5. Brayshaw
6. Naughton
7. Stephenson
8. Coffield
9. Clark
10. D. Fogarty
11. O'Brian
12. Constable
13. Allen
14. Brander
15. Bonar
16. Naish bid - Richmond
17. Balta (dogs)
18. L. Fogarty
19. Higgins
20. Hayes

1. Brisbane - LDU
2. Fremantle - Dow
3. Carlton -Rayner
4. North - Stephenson
5. Fremantle -Brayshaw
6. Collingwood - Cerra
7. Saints -Coffield
8. Saints - Bonar
9. Dogs -Naughton
10. Blues - Clark
11. GWS - Higgins
12. Adelaide -D. Fogarty
13. WCE -Allen
14. Sydney -Murphy
15. Brisbane - Constable
16. Dogs - O'Brien
17. Richmond - Brander
19. GCS - Ling
20. Richmond - Hayes

Last edited:
1. Brisbane - LDU
2. Fremantle - Dow
3. Carlton -Rayner
4. North - Brayshaw
5. Fremantle - Naughton
6. Collingwood - Cerra
7. Saints - Coffield
8. Saints - Bonar
9. Dogs - Stephenson
10. Blues - Clark
11. GWS - Higgins
12. Adelaide -D. Fogarty
13. WCE -Allen
14. Sydney -Murphy
15. Brisbane - Constable
16. Dogs - O'Brien
17. Richmond - Brander
19. GCS - Ling
20. Richmond - Hayes

Edit - As an aside, I reckon Twomey will struggle for accuracy this year. Normally there are some dominant talls that are virtually certain to go early, and you would match them up to clubs first and then fill in the pieces around them. This year Naughton and Brander seem to be the nominal top 2 and they are far from guaranteed to even go top 10.

Last edited:
As much as l want Clark, l doubt he will be there by then. Also getting uneasy about O'Brien, we need players who can win their own ball and if O'Brien can't then it is just such a problem (Aish cough).
Completely agree RE O'Brien. I would rather 'reach' per se for a Lachie Fogarty or Zac Bailey type.

1. Brisbane - Rayner
2. Fremantle - UDL
3. Carlton -Dow
4. North - Stephensen
5. Fremantle - Naughton
6. Collingwood - Cerra
7. Saints - Brayshaw
8. Saints - Bonar
9. Dogs - Coffield
10. Blues - Clark
11. GWS - Higgins
12. Adelaide -D.Fogarty
13. WCE -Hayes
14. Sydney -Murphy
15. Brisbane - Constable
16. Dogs - L. Fogarty
17. Richmond - Brander
18. Brisbane - Allen
19. GCS - Richards
20. Richmond Bid- Lions take Ballendan

I think naish gets forgotten about a bit. Think only Nunez has him in top 20 so far.

I think he's a lock for top 20. Richmond didn' want to hang onto that pick 15 I think even they're expecting a bid in the 12- 20 range

I think naish gets forgotten about a bit. Think only Nunez has him in top 20 so far.

I think he's a lock for top 20. Richmond didn' want to hang onto that pick 15 I think even they're expecting a bid in the 12- 20 range

I think he and Higgins will slip a bit but both be top 20. I reckon the dogs will do us a solid and leave Ballenden and force the tigets to take Naish at their next pick.

I think he and Higgins will slip a bit but both be top 20. I reckon the dogs will do us a solid and leave Ballenden and force the tigets to take Naish at their next pick.
Agree he will slip from his talent ranking. If he wasn't F/s he would be top 10 chance.

If he makes out of top 20 tigers have had an absolute steal.

Don't wait for Twomey's phantom. Wasn't real close last year.

Emma Quayle is much more on it. Last year she got the top 10 including Taranto at 2. Which no one expected...

Admittedly she only did hers a day out from the draft, so was armed with some pretty good inside knowledge.

Don't wait for Twomey's phantom. Wasn't real close last year.

Emma Quayle is much more on it. Last year she got the top 10 including Taranto at 2. Which no one expected...

Admittedly she only did hers a day out from the draft, so was armed with some pretty good inside knowledge.
She works for gws now so don't like the chances of a phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back